Canon 1DX support?

Started by tomekk, October 19, 2012, 09:59:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomekk

Hi guys,

Just wanted to find out if there is a support planned for this camera??

cheers

a1ex

No. It's quite expensive and very few people will benefit for it.

I think 99% of 1D users don't need hacks, they need something that just works.

Shnookums

I of course want something that works, but would like a Magic Lantern that works with the 1DX :)
The danger of damaging the camera is not really big right? So... Let me know if you need a tester hehe
C

coutts

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/01/canon-legal-team-modify-hack-firmware-1d-x-1d-c/

QuoteI was told by someone at Canon that they would "bring the might of its legal team" to anyone that attempts to modify at the software level, the features of an EOS-1 camera body.

so, it's not in the best interest of the developers to do this.

1%

Sorry all 3 or 4 of you.  :P

momendo

If you've got the money to buy this camera, you can afford a Sony NEX-FS100, a Canon C100/C300, or a Blackmagic Cinema. It makes no sense to hack at these price levels.

ozcancelik

I understand all developers uncomfortable feeling. And they are right. Modifying or changing 1D series firmware can be dangerous and maybe they can stop all ML development cause of legal issues. 1D series are "pro" cameras. And they are very expensive cameras...

But  investigating firmware is illegal? I mean, I was using my 550D with 1/8000 shutter speed. But default is 1/4000. So we steal something from 5D, 1D series cameras.

In April, Canon releases their new 1DC firmware with 25fps, 60fps with 1080p and 120fps/720p. For example, assuming that i find a way to use 120fps on 5D3 whats different using 1/8000 shutter speed on 550D?

a1ex

Reverse engineering a program for which you don't have a license (e.g. the 1D firmware) is illegal in most EU countries (probably in USA too).

This means we won't investigate the 1DC firmware. Sorry.

Some links (besides the well-known EFF FAQ):
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/part/I/chapter/III/crossheading/computer-programs-lawful-users
http://www.woodmann.com/fravia/legal.htm

gamingkingx

Quote from: a1ex on April 03, 2013, 07:20:22 PM
Reverse engineering a program for which you don't have a license (e.g. the 1D firmware) is illegal in most EU countries (probably in USA too).

This means we won't investigate the 1DC firmware. Sorry.

Some links (besides the well-known EFF FAQ):
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/48/part/I/chapter/III/crossheading/computer-programs-lawful-users
http://www.woodmann.com/fravia/legal.htm

Well.. A1ex.. The Woodmann.com link actually says that it IS LEGAL to reverse engineer - atleast in EU. As long as it isn't commercial.
"You do it only for your personal use or for "educational purposes" (i.e. study)".
"You do not use big chunks of the code for applications you SELL".

This means that it IS LEGAL. The auther also writes about the "scarecrow agreement" where almost all produceres write that reverse engineer is against the agreement. But this isn't legally binding as it is against EU law - which is above all inside EU.

Not, i'm not a lawyer - just a amature filmmaker. But is the auther is right, then it's perfectly legal to disassemble the software as it is in personal interrest and you don't charge money for ML.

Now i know you guys can't afford to any lawyers so if it was me, i would still not try and modify the firmware of the 1D-series after what Canon said - as it would ruin the whole operation if this would come to a lawsuit.

g3gg0

alex wanted to say that reverse engineering is legal, but reverse engineering stuff you dont have a license for is not.
i am not sure about that, but it might be true that one can get legal trouble for getting a copy of the firmware image.
if canon would hunt this person? i guess not.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

Escaperoute

After reading for a while, i think Canon is only thinking about losing it's value of 1DC if 1DX is modified. So much cooperate bullshit. I really want a 4k resolution on 1DX if what my device is capable.

zuzukasuma

Quote from: Escaperoute on August 29, 2013, 05:38:13 AM
After reading for a while, i think Canon is only thinking about losing it's value of 1DC if 1DX is modified. So much cooperate bullshit. I really want a 4k resolution on 1DX if what my device is capable.

its not corporate bs. 1D series are elite-pro cameras. they'll fix their cameras even you're shooting in middle of africa, by giving you 2nd camera to take care of your business. its their right to keep some things special. I wonder when they'll block CHDK development for G1 X.
in a complicated relationship with eos m.

robertmushroom1

yeah.. yeah...  whan my 1ds mark iii started to split oil on the sensor on the job i got the newest model from the service to carry out my tasks it was a 7d

Marsu42

Quote from: Escaperoute on August 29, 2013, 05:38:13 AM

It's perfectly legit for a company to program some embedded platform as they wish and even release different versions, it's done all the time not only in for dslrs. The profit Canon makes can be then put into making reasonably priced lower-end cameras... or to put it another way: If ml hacks the 1dx, *we* are paying for *you* not needing to buy the 1dc, at least on the long run.

ML does some backports like bracketing to cheaper cameras, but 1dx->1dc is different as was discussed a lot of times. At least I won't contribute to a project that basically obsoletes a whole camera model and thus endangers the whole ml project, and as a result saves money for rich people: If you can buy a 1dx, you can save up for a 1dc if you really think you need 4k video.