Command Dials and Eos Utility

Started by Ilias, October 18, 2012, 11:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ilias

The remote shooting function in eos utility in a way emulates button presses and command dials. I wonder if anyone has looked at the commands transmited through usb and what in-camera code they execute?

nanomad

It doesn't emulate button presses, it calls the appropriate routines in canon code. I didn't see anything extremely interesting (beside a couple of anonymous functions which I couldn't understand).
Have you got something in particular in mind? (I don't use EOSUtilty too much to be honest)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Ilias

Both pyshical and remote commands execute the same code. Once you know what routine is called upon receiving a remote command, you can trap and redirect physical key presses.

Ilias

Actually, remote shooting completly controls the camera. If you can map the code executed and set breakpoints you have total control.

Ilias

Sorry for writting in pieces. To connect with the original subject, here is an example: from remote shooting i can learn how to read and how to set the av and iso. Then breakpoint the av setting routine on the camera side and when the front wheel turns change the iso instead.

ryebrye

Quote from: Ilias on October 18, 2012, 11:47:09 PM
The remote shooting function in eos utility in a way emulates button presses and command dials. I wonder if anyone has looked at the commands transmited through usb and what in-camera code they execute?

IIRC, It doesn't emulate all command dials - you have to be in the "Bulb" setting to do bulb exposure stuff with the EOS utility, don't you? (It can't just send a "bulb mode" command to simulate changing the dial over)