what am I doing wrong?

Started by howardd1, October 15, 2012, 06:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howardd1

I already have a 16GB booted card. So I transferred 5D2-212.fir and auto exec.bin to the card after updating to Canon 2.1.2
as I don't fully understand your instructions;
1.Boot card in Camera  - well its booted as I said
2. Unzip all of the files from from Magic Lantern zip archive on the root of your card. - When card is in card reader presumably?
well anyway it doesn't work.
And I do have a reasonably high intelligence,
Im working on a mac 10.7
You guys do this everyday I presume so you know what you mean but I apologise in advance for not understanding simple instructions.
Help please
Thanks

a1ex

QuoteAnd I do have a reasonably high intelligence,

Cool, just use it :D

nanomad

I bet your  card looks like
http://i.imgur.com/Sddk2.jpg
(i.e. with a  magiclantern-something folder)

If so, you DID NOT extract the files in the root of the SD/CF card
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

howardd1

Thanks nanomad
Yes, I am aware that that I did not extract the files in the root of the SD/CF card.
And no thanks Alex. 'Cool, just use it',  - why did you even bother to reply?
Is there an admin person out there that can offer tangible help on precisely how I do what I'm supposed to do?
Thanks.
That would be cool

ilguercio

Quote from: howardd1 on October 16, 2012, 12:38:34 AM
Thanks nanomad
Yes, I am aware that that I did not extract the files in the root of the SD/CF card.
And no thanks Alex. 'Cool, just use it',  - why did you even bother to reply?
Is there an admin person out there that can offer tangible help on precisely how I do what I'm supposed to do?
Thanks.
That would be cool
It would be cool if you did what's in the instructions. Looks like you want an admin to come to your house and do it for you.
You're not providing a screenshot of your card content so what's the point?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

Francis

I'm pretty sure Nanomad just did.  Extract all of the files into the root of the directory. So you will have a ML folder, the Canon image folders (DCIM), autoexec.bin, and the .fir for your model or for all of them. You will have to do this using a card reader. If this does not work then you may be having issues with your card reader.

Then go through the Firmware Update process follow the directions from there.

Future assistance many come quicker if you clearly state the issues you are having. 'that doesn't work' doesn't really explain anything and 'what am I doing wrong?' doesn't help other users no what you issue is just by reading the title. How does it not work? Does it fail because the card is 'write protected' or do you have some error? You have to be specific. Also you stated yourself that you had 'fairly high intelligence' but also had problems 'understanding simple instructions.' Read the entire install instructions again all the way through, then try again reading along as you install.

ilguercio

This is what you're looking for.
.FIR files are only needed for the setup of ML on your camera (they set the bootflag) and they ARE camera specific. You only need your camera's .FIR file. After the bootflag has been set you can delete the fir file, you no longer need it on any card you might want to put ML onto. You can delete those 2 PDF files AFTER you read them.
Autoexec.bin is where ML code is.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.