First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northwinds

Quote from: da.vanderzon on December 19, 2012, 11:39:44 AM
It will be exciting to use the new functionality. The first alpha already changed my way of filming with the 7D.

Mine too! :-)
This Christmas is looking like being a little gloomy (for various reasons) but this is the first thing to get me excited!
Cheers!

g3gg0

okay... the 21. december has passed and no apocalypse happened.
then lets finish the "the day after" release of the 7D to have it ready tomorrow night ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

SonicScot

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 22, 2012, 09:06:14 PM
then lets finish the "the day after" release of the 7D to have it ready tomorrow night ;)
*dances around the house*  ;D ;D ;D ;D
5D Mark ll with ML 2.3
7D with ML Alpha2
Couple of L lenses and lots of old, manual lenses.

Northwinds

Superb! Looking forward to it!
Cheers!

arrinkiiii

Yes, yes and YEEESSS =)))

Now its 22:22, 22 of december in Portugal !!! Grrreeeee = D maybe for me it will be for tomorrow, 23. And im happy with that =))))

Oiéé, best present ever!!!

Maurits_BvdB

ted ramasola

:D
5DmkII  / 7D
www.ramasolaproductions.com
Texas

golanster

will we have to reflash it every time or is this fixed?
the first ml was great but after a few times it got frustrating to reflash and i just continued filming without it...

ted ramasola

Quote from: golanster on December 23, 2012, 07:42:46 AM
will we have to reflash it every time or is this fixed?
the first ml was great but after a few times it got frustrating to reflash and i just continued filming without it...

This is because its still in Alpha. Not yet even Beta.
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

golanster

Quote from: ted ramasola on December 23, 2012, 08:44:45 AM
This is because its still in Alpha. Not yet even Beta.

i know, but this is the only thing that preventing me from using it on a daily basis.
every time i line up a shot, change location, giving directions to the cast the camera shuts the shutter and i need to reflash
thats my christmass wish :-)

ted ramasola

Quote from: golanster on December 23, 2012, 09:08:58 AM
i know, but this is the only thing that preventing me from using it on a daily basis.
every time i line up a shot, change location, giving directions to the cast the camera shuts the shutter and i need to reflash

I've been using ML on my 5D for a while now. I never used it seriously until it was in the UNIFIED ML state which is out of alpha and beta and is a stable piece of code.
So, with this development of ML for the 7D, I appreciated their work and donated. BUT I am waiting and NOT INSTALLING it yet until its in stable form. No use in stating the obvious since its shortcomings is clearly stated on the first post but just like you I am hoping that alpha 2 will make my Christmas Stocking. ;)
5DmkII  / 7D
Texas

g3gg0

to clear up a few things before people ask:

the upcoming alpha 2 release is, as the name suggests, still an alpha.
this means:
- some features are missing
- some features might be enabled but they dont work
- some features might crash or disturb normal operation
- your camera wont get modified (boot flag), you have to load ML into RAM manually (firmware upgrade function)
- you will see which features are implemented and which not when i release it tomorrow

why?
a) we are not done yet
b) you all want to have a preview and as much ML as possible at the monment
c) we need your feedback to find bugs

i have time to finish the file starting from 8pm CET, so i think its ready at around 11PM.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 23, 2012, 11:42:21 AM
i have time to finish the file starting from 8pm CET, so i think its ready at around 11PM.

Hooray! \o/ Finally!

*sets up timer*

beej

Sure, but the alternative is to not have it at all until the ML team release a stable, thoroughly tested solid version, which could be a year away.

Be thankful that you at least can test it, rather than moan that it's not yet what you want it to be - there are (good) reasons for this, and we need to respect the developers about this stuff.

Quote from: golanster on December 23, 2012, 09:08:58 AMevery time i line up a shot, change location, giving directions to the cast the camera shuts the shutter and i need to reflash

Hmm You don't need to reload ML if you just come out of live view. You only need to reload it if you turn the camera off. So in your case, stop turning the camera off. Batteries are cheap enough and last long enough that leaving the camera on (screen off) between shots is perfectly viable for most uses - I do this a lot.

Stedda

Quote from: beej on December 23, 2012, 02:00:41 PM
Be thankful that you at least can test it, rather than moan that it's not yet what you want it to be - there are (good) reasons for this, and we need to respect the developers about this stuff.

+10000 :)

Make a donation instead of complaining about what you got for FREE.

That we we can get them the software they need to speed along the development.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

g3gg0

thanks, but there was no real complaint, or something i see as a complaint.
it looked just like a little misunderstanding what this alpha is for and i am sure this is cleared now.

anyway. keep the donations until next year. the donation button is disabled for now.

feureau

Speaking of which, did you guys get that software thing you said you needed yet?

cracky123456

meny thanks ! will donate again on 2nd alpha .
hope i can use headphones for audio preview when i am shotting ( and not only after the shoot  )
... if yes , i will start filming next week ( i know.. i know... ita alpha....)

btw : for the 3rd alpha , can you guys try to control the audio gain SEPERATLY ? i mean volume on the left channel and volume to the right  ....  8)

again MENY thanks for the the ml 7d !!!! you guys rock !!!!!
"SHANA TOVA" ( have a wonderfull year)  for all the video guys out thare  ;D

beej

Quote from: cracky123456 on December 23, 2012, 04:51:29 PMbtw : for the 3rd alpha , can you guys try to control the audio gain SEPERATLY ? i mean volume on the left channel and volume to the right  ....  8)

Out of interest, what would be the point in this? If you are plugging in external mics and need independent control, really you are requiring a level of audio that's beyond what a DSLR provides, and should be thinking of either a professional video camera with XLR's, phantom power etc, or an external recording device, like a Zoom H4N or some other audio box that gives you proper preamps and level control.

If you are not plugging in external mics, then separate levels is largely pointless as the mic is essentially receiving the same signal for left and right channels (it's tiny and in one position). The *only* reason I can think of for independant levels is for safety, to let one side be -12dB down than the other, as a safety backup channel if levels get really loud and distort - the DLSR preamps are poor and thus can't be run at a large headroom to account for this - in this case, I can see it would be useful (and I do this on other cameras quite often).

The internal mic on a DSLR is really only for quick and dirty stuff, or reference audio. Any further requirements to that and you should probably be upgrading your audio gear.

Note - I was actually an audio guy a long time before being a photographer/videographer, and I've also got a Sony professional video camera. DSLR audio is (currently, it will probably change) poor at best.

chasv

Alternatively, have a look at the "Auto Power Off" settings under the standard 7D menu. Your choices are from "1minute" to "30 minutes" before Auto Power Off, or "no power off".

Personally, I chose "no power off" and it is up to me to switch the camera off, which is perfect.

Chas.

p.s. A really big thank you to all the developers who have been working on and checking code into the repository, you guys rock my 7D's world!

cracky123456

Quote from: beej on December 23, 2012, 07:24:52 PM
Out of interest, what would be the point in this? If you are plugging in external mics and need independent control, really you are requiring a level of audio that's beyond what a DSLR provides, and should be thinking of either a professional video camera with XLR's, phantom power etc, or an external recording device, like a Zoom H4N or some other audio box that gives you proper preamps and level control.

If you are not plugging in external mics, then separate levels is largely pointless as the mic is essentially receiving the same signal for left and right channels (it's tiny and in one position). The *only* reason I can think of for independant levels is for safety, to let one side be -12dB down than the other, as a safety backup channel if levels get really loud and distort - the DLSR preamps are poor and thus can't be run at a large headroom to account for this - in this case, I can see it would be useful (and I do this on other cameras quite often).

The internal mic on a DSLR is really only for quick and dirty stuff, or reference audio. Any further requirements to that and you should probably be upgrading your audio gear.

Note - I was actually an audio guy a long time before being a photographer/videographer, and I've also got a Sony professional video camera. DSLR audio is (currently, it will probably change) poor at best.

well i am making films for events ( wedding etc. )  , with actors . scripts multy-locations and much more .
i am using 2 neck mics and 1 boom mic.
(boom is dynamic and the 2 neck mics are on the actors )
i am using pannasonic dvc200 cam  ( yeah... old ).
but now i am using the 7d more and more ( for shooting in small locations like cars ).
my wireless neck mics have good amps , so i dont need the 7d run on a full gain. usually on the 7d , i put the gain control on the lowest gain possible, and put the neck mics on a little high gain.
so the 7d will not affect with her crappy amps....
on post , i need the have control on left ( mic 1 ) and right ( mic 2 ) sepertly !   so i can put filters etc...

my job demands fast production ( i have only 1 day to shoot , and 1 day to post ).
and now... full HD ....

dont want to use 4HZOOM , dont have time to press 2 BUTTONS on shotting. its hard enoght to shoot pepole that are not actors.
with MENY speech mistakes ( it take 10-15 time for a good sentance from them )
and dont want to mess with it on the post. (even with puralEYES).
dont want to add to my gear a MIXER ...juicelink mixer

i want to use the smallest and the fastest gear for my job.
a control over left and right on the 7d , can save GEAR and TIME , and have a good amps from my mics.

( i know i will have a prob. with my boom mic ... i will buy 1 with phantom power or someting......)
( btw sorry for my english )

Pelican

I've just pulled the changes, I hope there are all the stuff from the alpha2 version.

I can't wait for the release (I'm in the rainforest, in a small village near the Costa Rican and Nicaraguan border and my laptop's battery is running out now).

Merry Christmas and Happy 7D ML! :)
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

g3gg0

SonicScot

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 24, 2012, 12:26:13 AM
(alpha 2 is already released)
You are a star sir (and santa in disguise)  :D
5D Mark ll with ML 2.3
7D with ML Alpha2
Couple of L lenses and lots of old, manual lenses.

Tmunah

Quote from: wvdtol on November 12, 2012, 11:37:11 AM
Decided to do a donation from my coming salary payment. But unfortunately since last Saturday my 7D is now a dead duck. Dark viewfinder, no lcd display information. No matter which battery I use. I have two genuine batteries and an adapter. I also replaced the rc1616 battery. But no life in the camera. The computer also doesn't see the camera on USB. I was running ML, but I was outside in a very light rain when the camera stoppped. So I am afraid I first need the money to get the camera repaired. It's the second time it needs repaired. I got it new with burst mode problems and flash didn't work. It took two month to get it repaired and lost my appetite for filming because I missed several once in a life time opportunities with this camera.. Good camera indeed. My 40D never failed me but it is a reluctant film camera. ;-)

BTW, I was running ML with the VisionColor picture style. I also had a Zoom h4n plugged in the microphone jack. I am a programmer but I don't know any thing about the processes in the 7D. Might there be an issue with the combination of picture styles and ML? Both are using the processors, but how picture style and ML work within the context of the 7D I don't know. I don't think it can cause a problem because there is always a picture style involved. I also don't see how a program can completely kill hardware such that there isn't even a hint that the power is switched on.

One thing I noticed is that the view finder is rather dark. Like having it stopped down to f8. Which is for as far as I know normal for the 7D when the battery is removed. With the adaptor in the battery case the viewfinder seems to pulse between f8 and say f4 with a one second interval approximately.

Would you help me with instructions installing visioncolor on my 60d?  I've tried and tried to no avail.