First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feureau

Quote from: atomcc on November 28, 2012, 01:04:55 AM
Any chance you could add the anamorphic desqueeze x1.33 to the 7d firmware?

I think this already exists in the full ML set, along with defishing, but it hasn't been ported yet.

At any rate, I wonder how that alpha 2 is coming along...?

candymanjl

Just tried to install this on my 7D and I got a "cannot copy" error when I tried to put the firmware onto the card, tried two different machines, same problem.

I seem to remember with my 20D that you couldn't do a firmware update if the CF card was too large.  I have a 16 gig card in my 7D, could that be why?  I'm just grasping at straws.

I am already on 2.0.3 from Canon.  Should I re install the firmware from the link on the download page?

Thanks!

Rich

Flownez

Quote from: candymanjl on November 29, 2012, 02:04:24 AM
Just tried to install this on my 7D and I got a "cannot copy" error when I tried to put the firmware onto the card, tried two different machines, same problem.

Are you using a card reader to transfer ML to the CF card?  Using the camera as a card reader will result in problems.

candymanjl

Quote from: Flownez on November 29, 2012, 02:27:02 AM
Are you using a card reader to transfer ML to the CF card?  Using the camera as a card reader will result in problems.

Gotcha, guess I need a card reader, thanks!

g3gg0

Quote from: feureau on November 28, 2012, 01:39:35 AM
At any rate, I wonder how that alpha 2 is coming along...?

it will take some time until i figure out how to solve the shutdown problem when shooting images.
i am not okay with releasing a buggy version.
i know some of you really would love even this version with shutdown problems.

but there are still some others who will (with good reason) be disappointed because it drains battery etc.
i want to save them from trouble and the ML team from reading too much bug reports ;)

as soon this issue is solved, i will release alpha 2
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

MichaelAndrian

Hi g3gg0:)

First of all! Thank you for your works! ML on the 7D has been a God-send to all DSLR filmmakers!

I was wondering about something,

Is there or is it possible to have the AGC disable hack like the canon 550D? It was AMAZING!the canon update did not do an entirely clean audio and Im really curious about ML.

Thank you so much!  ;)  :D

*Note: What I means by the AGC disable hack means the menu to control AGC,Digital Gain and Analog Gain separately.

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 29, 2012, 09:34:45 AM
it will take some time until i figure out how to solve the shutdown problem when shooting images.
i am not okay with releasing a buggy version.
i know some of you really would love even this version with shutdown problems.

but there are still some others who will (with good reason) be disappointed because it drains battery etc.
i want to save them from trouble and the ML team from reading too much bug reports ;)

as soon this issue is solved, i will release alpha 2

Cool! :D Please keep us updated. :P Thanks for all the hard work!

Btw, maybe we could set up non-developer volunteers to field known issues like this on released ML releases? It would help de-waste developer's time, I suppose.

Quote from: MichaelAndrian on November 29, 2012, 11:40:45 AM
It was AMAZING!the canon update did not do an entirely clean audio and Im really curious about ML.

Could you post a comparison of the sound between the 550D with AGC hack and 7D?

beej

Quote from: MichaelAndrian on November 29, 2012, 11:40:45 AM
Is there or is it possible to have the AGC disable hack like the canon 550D? It was AMAZING!the canon update did not do an entirely clean audio and Im really curious about ML.

The 7D already has manual audio controls? Set it from "Auto" to 'Manual", pick your recording level, and there you go. Nothing to do with ML, the 7D already has that feature with version 2.x.

Or are you saying that there is a problem with the 7D's manual audio recording?

MichaelAndrian

Quote from: feureau on November 29, 2012, 01:24:50 PM
Could you post a comparison of the sound between the 550D with AGC hack and 7D?

Definitely! Please analyze this link and tell me what you think :)

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU6OuUlzfnM)

The following control are maintained:

-Same Room
-Same Audio Equipment
(Rode Videomic Pro)
-Battery is Full

MichaelAndrian

Quote from: beej on November 29, 2012, 02:11:59 PM
The 7D already has manual audio controls? Set it from "Auto" to 'Manual", pick your recording level, and there you go. Nothing to do with ML, the 7D already has that feature with version 2.x.

Or are you saying that there is a problem with the 7D's manual audio recording?

Yes! It is true that the 7D already has the manual audio controls from the new update V2. But I think they have not disabled the AGC. I think the manual control is solely a recording level which still have the Auto Gain and this is all based on my opinion, I did some test and I found that they are more noisy than the 550D AGC disable hack which Magic Lantern team did a TERRIFIC Job! What do you think? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU6OuUlzfnM

Mr. Propaganda Guy

Quote from: MichaelAndrian on November 30, 2012, 10:57:04 AM
I think the manual control is solely a recording level which still have the Auto Gain and this is all based on my opinion, I did some test and I found that they are more noisy than the 550D AGC disable hack which Magic Lantern team did a TERRIFIC Job! What do you think? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU6OuUlzfnM

Thanks for the test - Yeah, the difference is night and day.

feureau

Spectrally speaking: http://imgur.com/5kigq

There seems to be a lot more noise from the 550D, and the floor noise seems to still rise after no sound. Much like what happens when you have AGC on. (as denoted on the last bit of the 550D spectrum)

Anyway: the 550D vs 7D aren't the same audio clip, but I'm wondering what's causing all those spikes on the 7D. It's not happening on mine. Try recording something at the same time?

jphansen

I know a little about audio.. When you set the 7D to manual.. you control the level in the menu.. is the volume set to the same level at both cameras?

If you want the best low noise audio you have to use a pre amp like JuicedLink http://www.juicedlink.com

Then you need to set the 7D to manual control and set it 1 step up from the lowest volume setting and boost the volume through the JuicedLink.

Check he's video's on the page..

When recording.. What level was the camera volumes at?

MichaelAndrian

Quote from: feureau on November 30, 2012, 12:04:44 PM
Spectrally speaking: http://imgur.com/5kigq

There seems to be a lot more noise from the 550D, and the floor noise seems to still rise after no sound. Much like what happens when you have AGC on. (as denoted on the last bit of the 550D spectrum)

Anyway: the 550D vs 7D aren't the same audio clip, but I'm wondering what's causing all those spikes on the 7D. It's not happening on mine. Try recording something at the same time?

Sorry.. which of the image is the 550D and which one is the 7D?

Btw, yeah. It is not the same audio clip, but that's the best I can do :S I soled the 550D couple of days ago which left me with old clips I had recorded. But I tried to match the condition, Both are recorded at the same room (although you can't see it because of a different light setup) with the same audio device and about the same distance.

Btw, do you own the 550D? :)

Believe me, the magic lantern AGC disable is far more superior.Well,for me it is  ;D

MichaelAndrian

Quote from: jphansen on November 30, 2012, 12:15:31 PM
I know a little about audio.. When you set the 7D to manual.. you control the level in the menu.. is the volume set to the same level at both cameras?

If you want the best low noise audio you have to use a pre amp like JuicedLink http://www.juicedlink.com

Then you need to set the 7D to manual control and set it 1 step up from the lowest volume setting and boost the volume through the JuicedLink.

Check he's video's on the page..

When recording.. What level was the camera volumes at?

There is no way you can know if the volume is at the same level for both camera. Well when I was using the Canon 550D, the canon did not provide me with a manual audio level like the 7D has from the update. Then I use the Magic Lantern which includes a control of analog gain and digital gain. And what I did was in my 550D I turned of the digital gain completely and just raise the analog gain.This is where things set apart from the canon update.

When you make the audio setting to manual from the canon update, there is still a "Digital" Gain in there which causes the spikes in the video. That's why.. would it be wonderful if we can turn off the digital gain with the Magic Lantern audio menu? saves the hassle of bringing heavy juicelink (although maybe the juicelink is a little bit better (maybe))  ;D

When I was recording, I was using 5 clicks on the 7D.

jdv213

I'm on the verge of investing a fortune to upgrade from the 7D to the 5DkmIII (including underwater housing, nanaoflash etc) due to Canon's statement of a firmware release which will allow clean HDMI output.

Is there a realistic chance of the 7D having a clean usable HDMI out within the next two months? Would much rather funnel some funding into ML to make this happen than upgrading:)

Jasonsilzle

JDV213 - I don't know that it would be in the next two months and while it seems like with the Dual Digics there should be plenty of horsepower under the hood, I have been waiting for this very same thing and I am sad to say I believe the general idea is we will always have to work with the cropped HDMI out rather than a full 1080. Believe me I totally hope I am wrong :)

Am I wrong guys?

PS...You know you can do a cropped clean out now right? It isn't always reliable, sometimes canon's junk pops back on screen.

7Denver

I want to pop back in a express my gratitude to g3gg0 and the other ML developers for continuing their work on the 7D alpha.  Most of the time my excitement to see alpha 2 is ebullient, which my girlfriend will attest to.   However, she is a photographer too, so she understands.  :) 

Thanks again!!

inky38

Hi g3gg0

I think I may have had some success in making the camera shutdown at any shutter speed however it does deviate from your initial instructions  (hope this won't be a problem).

Following the initial instructions
Set shutter speed to 2"
Take photo using the eos utility and wait for the image to be transferred to the pc
Open card door

Camera doesn't shutdown and usb connection is still alive

With slight modification to the instructions
Set shutter speed to 2"
Take photo using the eos utility and wait for the image to be transferred to the pc
hover over the eos utility shutter button (camera performs exposure and focus)  but do not press the button
Open card door

Camera shuts down every time.

Now hopefully if you can simulate the additional step within ML then the camera might shutdown.

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

feureau

xmd5a

Found something strange. Audio meters in ML stops working after changing "Rec. level" in Canon audio settings (mode - Manual). Canon audio levels of course are working at that moment. Can't fix that without rebooting ML.

beej

Quote from: inky38 on December 02, 2012, 11:22:01 PMhover over the eos utility shutter button (camera performs exposure and focus)  but do not press the button
Open card door

Camera shuts down every time.

Good spot. Confirmed. I also tried this in manual focus mode, with back button focusing, to take focusing out of the equation.

This would suggest, as per my earlier hunch, that the issue is caused in the metering/exposure calculation stage.

Now, in Manual mode, the camera's metering/exposure calculation isn't contributing the final picture exposure, but there is metering and exposure calculating going on to determine where the exposure needle is going to be displayed (indicating possible under/over exposure with your settings).

So - I then changed the camera's half press from "Metering" to "AF Lock", to remove metering from the shutter button.

So, to break it down:
- I can turn the camera on, settings as above, with EOS utility running and metering taken off the shutter button
- take a photo (from EOS Utility)
- open the card door
- camera hangs.

- Close the card door
- half press on the camera (some metering is still done as the exposure needle is displayed)
- open the card door
- the camera still hangs.

- Close the card door
- Half press (ie mouseover) on the EOS utility shutter button
- open the card door
- The camera shuts down ok.

g3gg0

sounds like a plan for a workaround ;)

feureau