First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beej

Quote from: SonicScot on November 22, 2012, 11:09:37 PM
Quick check reveals the camera will only power off ( and disconnect from computer) when the shutter speed is 1 second or faster.
1.3 seconds and slower than that, the camera will not power off.

Had a quick try (on Mac OSX).

Here, anything down to 0"8 will turn the camera off / disconnect the computer, but from 1 second and onwards, the camera won't disconnect on opening the card door. So, it seems to be dependent on some other factors, rather than a hard limit, if you can shoot at 1 second without triggering the bug, and I can shoot at 1 second and trigger the bug...

So:
ISO 6400, no shutdown starts at 1 second and slower
ISO 320, no shutdown starts at 0.5 seconds and slower
ISO 100, no shutdown starts at 1/5th of a second and slower

All F2.8.

So it seems to be affected by exposure calculation, perhaps..? I'll see whether the aperture changing the exposure calculation has any affect next...

However, I don't think these numbers are hard and fast, as I just did some more playing, and went back to my known baseline I started with, 6400 2.8 0"8, shouldn't lock the camera up, but now does - so there seems to be a bit of varience based on some factor. I just now, at 6400 2.8, triggered the hang at 1/8 and slower, rather than the 1 second and slower it was to start with...

So I was rocking here at 6400 2.8, triggering the hang at 1/5th and slower, so the 1/5th was the hang point. Changing the aperture from F2.8 to F11 did indeed cause the camera to no longer hang at 1/5th - so preliminary tests suggest that the aperture value is also affecting when the bug is triggered.

I haven't got any predictable pattern yet, but perhaps some of those results might point towards some possible avenues of exploration to find out where the issue is occurring.

g3gg0

thanks a lot for the investigation help!
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

inky38

Quote from: inky38 on November 22, 2012, 11:31:57 PM
ok slightly confusing instructions.

I'm assuming we're taking ML out of the equation for these tests.

My experience is as follows

After remotely taking photos at various shutter speeds and then opening the door, powers down the camera and disconnects it from the pc. 

After closing the door it powers up again and reconnects

In fact opening the door up at any point with the dial in any position powers down the camera disconnects it from the pc

[edit]
After  changing my Auto Power Off setting from 1 min to off, I now get a completely different behaviour.  My camera no longer disconnects from the pc until it is physically switched off.

Putting it back to 1 min hasn't reverted it back either.  It stays connected

And what is strange now, is even with the camera switched off, plugging in the usb cable starts the eos utility up.  only removing and reinserting the battery stops this behaviour

g3gg0

thats the reason why i said, make it show the info screen ;)
if you press INFO 3 times, you get the info screen.
it will stay displayed until you really powered off the camera.

it will drain your battery if you dont power off correctly.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

inky38

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 23, 2012, 01:18:54 AM
thats the reason why i said, make it show the info screen ;)
if you press INFO 3 times, you get the info screen.
it will stay displayed until you really powered off the camera.

it will drain your battery if you dont power off correctly.

Hmm  I blame the initial instructions ;)

RenatoPhoto

On first tryout the camera did not disconnect from PC.  I was able to go up to 30 sec open the door and close the door and the camera would not disconnect.  Changed the "Auto power off" to 30 min and the camera would disconnect above 2 seconds.  Switched the "Auto power off" to 1 min and camera would disconnect from pc no matter what shutter speed.  Swithc "Auto power off" to 30 min and then off and tested buty camera always disconnected from PC.  I had to reinsert card and start the process all over to be able to open door without camera disconecting from PC.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

_iLiam

Anything else that you need help with testing? Can't wait for alpha 2! Sending lots of suport from over here.
| Canon 5D | Canon7D | 85mm f1.2 | 18-135mm | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 f4 | 28mm f2.8 |
www.liamnewman.co.uk

g3gg0

settings like AF, IS, etc didnt have an effect on the bug?

g3gg0

btw. i am searching for another method to simulate keypress.
without that feature a new alpha doesnt make much sense.

RenatoPhoto

Charged battery overnight...

Now camera always disconect from PC when I open the door.  Nothing seems to revert to old situation where camera would not disconect under certain conditions.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 25, 2012, 07:31:03 PM
btw. i am searching for another method to simulate keypress.
without that feature a new alpha doesnt make much sense.

so... what happened here? I thought you were just hunting for that shutdown bug. (is it resolved yet?)

gmfbln

Just discovered the following:

when using a SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/s CF-card ML can be loaded as a firmware update and I can access its menu and change values but it can't be loaded to operate the 7D with it.

When using my Transcend UDMA 400x CF-card everything works fine.

No big issue, just thought I add this here.

Keep on your great work! Thanks a lot for all your work so far!

g3gg0

@feureau:
that *is* the shutdown bug.
when shooting a picture and some conditions are met, the camera wont shut down by opening card door.

@gmfbln:
how are the cards formatted? which FAT type?

gmfbln

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 26, 2012, 05:46:17 PM

@gmfbln:
how are the cards formatted? which FAT type?

they're both formatted inside the 7D as the instructions say.

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 26, 2012, 05:46:17 PM
@feureau:
that *is* the shutdown bug.
when shooting a picture and some conditions are met, the camera wont shut down by opening card door.

Ah, I see.  :( The test thing you mentioned the other day. Does it effect only opening the card door? i.e. it still shut-down according to auto power off settings and on-off switch.

If so, it's a rather specific bug: what do you think of pre-releasing the alpha? (it is an alpha release after all, usually comes with some known bugs anyway)

Anyway, thanks for everything, g3gg0. Looking forward to that eos M work too. :D

edgardave

tested without any issues here!
(using non standard batteries and the canon one)

dfallsfilm

I have a question....

Will there be an Multi-Exposure mode function on the 7D?   5D Mark III, 1DX and 6D already have that function.  So, I'm asking if it is possible.

inky38

Not sure if this helps, but if Live View mode is activated, the camera always shuts down  (in my experience anyway)

[Edit]
Actually this isn't right.   The info screen is blacked out and the mirror drops, but I believe the camera is still powered up as the USB connection isn't dropped.

I'll keep looking

feureau

Quote from: dfallsfilm on November 26, 2012, 11:33:23 PM
I have a question....

Will there be an Multi-Exposure mode function on the 7D?   5D Mark III, 1DX and 6D already have that function.  So, I'm asking if it is possible.

Multi-exposure mode? As in exposure bracketing? 7D already has that.

RenatoPhoto

This is a canon bug not an ML.  A work around would be to shut the camera off when opening the door for proper shut down.

feureau

I think what g3gg0 meant was that the same bug affects some of ML's functions like when shooting images using trap, bracketing, intervalometer etc

I think a workaround is to just not open the card door and leave the camera to bleed to death. (i.e. switch the on/off switch to off)

dfallsfilm

Quote from: feureau on November 27, 2012, 12:21:05 AM
Multi-exposure mode? As in exposure bracketing? 7D already has that.

Nope, it is not what I'm talking about, I'm not talking about auto bracketing.

THIS IS what I'm talking about.... I will show you for example:

http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_MultiExposure_Feature_QuickGuide.pdf

http://cdn.cnet.com.au/story_media/339332802/multipleexposure.jpg

feureau

Oh, that! It's just a fancy feature they put in the camera. (like in-camera HDR)

They put the same features (multiple exposure and HDR) in DPP. You can just take multiple exposure (hold the shutter button, shoot 8fps) and use the feature in DPP.

atomcc

Hey,

Thanks very much.

Any chance you could add the anamorphic desqueeze x1.33 to the 7d firmware? I will definitely donate anyway.

Thanks again.
J