First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

well, i can tell you then *when* it will be ready ;)
but it will be just another 1-2 days maybe.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

beej

Have you got a solution to the issue with processing functions not being terminated when turning off the camera..?

g3gg0

no solution, as i cannot reproduce anymore :(
either its good or bad. i am not sure yet.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

jayzed

I'm an audio guy (tracking and mixing for post pro) and recently (April 2012) bought a 7D. I've been making videos since then and been basically unhappy with most of the results. I was using the camera's exposure metering and was continually getting blown out highs, especially in sky areas. Yes, I know. Schoolboy errors, beginners' errors.
I'd heard about Magic Lantern but wasn't expecting a 7D version so it came as a bit of a surprise. Incredible! Just using the zebras my video is so much better, and the guides are much more useful to me than the standard. The focus peaking has taken out so much of the guesswork and... I could go on, I love this software. Donation on the way. I had no intention of donating but the difference in my results is night and day. Thanks for this, guys.

g3gg0

hi jayzed,

thanks for your feedback. nice to see that ML for 7D helped you.
also many thanks for your donation :)

jayzed

Thank you for your work. I can't wait until the next version is out with more of the ML stuff. I'm curious about the increased data rates, the intervalometer, HDR video etc etc... Even if none of this stuff ever comes out, the focus peaking and zebras make my camera feel like a different model. Keep up the good work.

xmd5a

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 15, 2012, 09:35:47 PM
no solution, as i cannot reproduce anymore :(
either its good or bad. i am not sure yet.
Maybe there is a way to implement full camera log (keypressings, camera state etc.)? I had this bug twice. Camera flashes by a card led one time a minute or so and drains battery.

g3gg0

Quote from: xmd5a on November 17, 2012, 08:25:12 PM
Maybe there is a way to implement full camera log (keypressings, camera state etc.)? I had this bug twice. Camera flashes by a card led one time a minute or so and drains battery.

this bug only happens with features that were not enabled in this alpha.
so noone should have seen them.

what did you do when you encountered these bugs?

xmd5a

I see this problem right now. Autosleep is set to 2 min in canon firmware but camera does not went to sleep and red led does not blink like last time I caught this bug. What did I do: testing trap focus, recording short videoclips, looking at waveform and histogram in playback mode (picture style button), using SET+dial (exposure fusion up to 5 images). What can I do to diagnose problem before the battery runs out? Firmware alpha1, not bitrate monster.

xmd5a

Before battery is over I took some tasklist screenshots. Here another bug: captured screenshots are named TEST.BMP without counter. So to view second and following images I have to rename them. This behavior probably can ruin card filesystem.
Here is my ML settings and these screens: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4624786/ML_7Dalpha1_drain_battery_bug.zip
Hope this helps.

vsantos

Congratulations for this achievement!
I installed ML on my 7D which includes a BG-E7 Gripper (even using
non-original canon batteries), and everything went as smooth as announced :-)
I understand that this is a testing release, and many features are already
interesting, but I look eagerly for a more featured version, namely one
including HDR and FPS override for time-lapses, which will be a huge
enhancement over canon's base features.
What you guys are doing is a fine work! I already started considering donating ;-)

-vs

SonicScot

Quote from: vsantos on November 17, 2012, 11:04:46 PM
I already started considering donating ;-)
Stop considering, start donating.  ;)
It's worth every penny you can spare.  :)
5D Mark ll with ML 2.3
7D with ML Alpha2
Couple of L lenses and lots of old, manual lenses.

pfluger

Any news on getting ML to autostart? I am actually pretty happy with how this alpha 1 works, and any additional features would just be icing on the cake. It has been working without a problem for me the last weeks. Loving focus peaking, zebras and histogram.

Only thing is having to load ML everytime I turn on the camera. So many times I didn't use ML because I needed the camera right away.

Not sure what is involved, but if it is a copyright issue, maybe this could be circumvented by providing a patch tool to the end user to merge parts of the official firmware update file into the MIL fir file?

xmd5a

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 17, 2012, 08:48:17 PM
this bug only happens with features that were not enabled in this alpha.
so noone should have seen them.

what did you do when you encountered these bugs?
Got it. Trap focus leads to the fact that camera does not shuts down by "Auto power off" setting in canon firmware. Just load ML, take 1 photo with trap focus and wait longer than "Auto power off" is set. Camera will not power off for a very long time if not forever.

g3gg0

ah sorry, mixed smth up.
the trap focus but is noted in release notes:
   * When using trap focus, opening card door won't shut down the camera. Simply power off using power switch.
and i didnt think that it will apply to auto-off also.

the bugs i thought of were different ones that other features had.
those dont happen anymore, and i totally forgot about the trap focus one. will check that of course.

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 15, 2012, 02:29:58 PM
well, i can tell you then *when* it will be ready ;)
but it will be just another 1-2 days maybe.

btw, any news on the news? :3

g3gg0

still hunting the nasty shutdown bug.

arrinkiiii

DAMN  :'(  !!! Hope you hunt him !!!

Digital Corpus

7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

P337

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 25, 2012, 09:34:16 AM
the 4GiB limit is not likely to get removed in 7D, as it works with 32 bit file sizes.
600D works with 64 bits, so this one is possible to override 4GiB limit.

Sorry to come back to such an old post, but it just hit me, are you saying the 600D and newer Canon DSLRs are using a 64bit OS and Processor?

nanomad

No, they simply support the exFat filesystem which does not have the 4Gigs limitation. There are no 64 bits ARM CPUs around
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

g3gg0

Quote from: P337 on November 19, 2012, 12:10:28 PM
Sorry to come back to such an old post, but it just hit me, are you saying the 600D and newer Canon DSLRs are using a 64bit OS and Processor?

dealing with 'long long's (64 bit types) does not require a 64 bit OS or 64 bit cpu.
although the used ARM has native 64 bit variable support.

P337

Quote from: nanomad on November 19, 2012, 12:23:25 PM
No, they simply support the exFat filesystem which does not have the 4Gigs limitation. There are no 64 bits ARM CPUs around

Oh ok, pretty much what I thought just wanted to double check that lol

RenatoPhoto

I was playing around with LV dumping A:/ .jpeg (7D) in and using the zoom button to get close ups or crop modes while recording via LV dumping.  The resulting jpeg stream accurately represents what actually shows in Live View thus giving and amazing result at 5X and 10X crop mode.  I imported those images to Vegas and produced cropped video.  Unfortunately some frames were dropped so the video becomes jerky at times.

This is a very interesting feature which adds tremendous value to video crop mode!  It is like putting a 5x or a 10X multiplier to my existing lenses without degrading the image or raising the f-stop.

Is there any hope of producing a jpeg stream without dropping frames?

I also noticed that transferring all those small jpeg files is painfully slow.  Could some type of jpeg encoder join these images to produce cropped video?

I know this is discussed in the (M) JPEG encoder thread but this is over my head and do not fully understand if this will be implemented to the 7D.   

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

g3gg0

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on November 19, 2012, 03:30:26 PM
Is there any hope of producing a jpeg stream without dropping frames?

short: no  ;)