First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juanmelchor

Digital Corpus and xmd5a thanks!  ;D

juanmelchor

Hi! I saw this video on youtube channel g3gg0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQLHkXL-AWU&list=UUo9NditLP0cdgnz1FaeN08Q&index=1&feature=plcp What is and how I can put on and use this mode?

And... How I put in the firmware All-I mode to record video?

thank you very much!

g3gg0

this is all experimental and not for public use yet.
sorry.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

juanmelchor

Ok! I'll wait for the next final version. Thank you very much for responding. Good job with Magic Lantern for the 7D.  :)

outravia

I just got here, just installed, just donate, please keep up the good work ... thank you ... greentins from Brazil ;D

wvdtol

Decided to do a donation from my coming salary payment. But unfortunately since last Saturday my 7D is now a dead duck. Dark viewfinder, no lcd display information. No matter which battery I use. I have two genuine batteries and an adapter. I also replaced the rc1616 battery. But no life in the camera. The computer also doesn't see the camera on USB. I was running ML, but I was outside in a very light rain when the camera stoppped. So I am afraid I first need the money to get the camera repaired. It's the second time it needs repaired. I got it new with burst mode problems and flash didn't work. It took two month to get it repaired and lost my appetite for filming because I missed several once in a life time opportunities with this camera.. Good camera indeed. My 40D never failed me but it is a reluctant film camera. ;-)

BTW, I was running ML with the VisionColor picture style. I also had a Zoom h4n plugged in the microphone jack. I am a programmer but I don't know any thing about the processes in the 7D. Might there be an issue with the combination of picture styles and ML? Both are using the processors, but how picture style and ML work within the context of the 7D I don't know. I don't think it can cause a problem because there is always a picture style involved. I also don't see how a program can completely kill hardware such that there isn't even a hint that the power is switched on.

One thing I noticed is that the view finder is rather dark. Like having it stopped down to f8. Which is for as far as I know normal for the 7D when the battery is removed. With the adaptor in the battery case the viewfinder seems to pulse between f8 and say f4 with a one second interval approximately.

ilguercio

Considering you had problems with that camera earlier i'd say that your 7D is pretty much faulty and needs another repair. Picture styles on their own can't really kill a camera.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

g3gg0

Quote from: wvdtol on November 12, 2012, 11:37:11 AMI don't think it can cause a problem because there is always a picture style involved. I also don't see how a program can completely kill hardware such that there isn't even a hint that the power is switched on.

One thing I noticed is that the view finder is rather dark. Like having it stopped down to f8. Which is for as far as I know normal for the 7D when the battery is removed. With the adaptor in the battery case the viewfinder seems to pulse between f8 and say f4 with a one second interval approximately.

1st: right, there is always a pic style involved. see it as a lookup table. ML doesnt care about that.

about killing hardware: well, its not necessary the hardware that is defect.
the software controls everything you see, so it might act dead when the software e.g. erased flash or locks up.

the viewfinder is toggling between light/dark? is the dark mode somewhat noisy/grainy in the corners?
then it is the second digic (master) that is behaving faulty and resetting te viewfinder LCD.
ML runs on slave digic only. only during "firmware update" procedure a very small snippet of ML code is running.
at that point it is very unlikely that something goes wrong. especially not *that* wrong.

so i am very sure it has nothing to do with ML.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

wvdtol

I really don't think it has anything to do with ML or a picture style.
It might have something to do with the rain. But there where so few raindrops you can hardly call it rain. It was also not a drizzle, just some droplets every now and then.
The red led on the back doesn't flash when closing the battery door. Also when using the adaptor
with the adaptor it is toggling between dark and a lot less dark but still too dark, between one or two seconds for each state.
You can also see black lines for the autofocus zones when it is in its lightest state.
I will bring it to camera repair man shortly.

ilguercio

I have been shooting at a carnival, 3 years ago, and it was raining. Not too much but not lightly either. I had my 20D and the nifty fifty, not what you'd call a waterproof combo. As it turned out, the only thing i had to do when i put the camera in my bag was wipe it with a dry piece of cloth and it was completely fine. If you're concerned with the rain (and you should, at a certain point) you should leave a plastic sheet that should be taped on your lens hood and wrap your camera inside it. That should ensure you a dry camera. So far i've never had any water related problems.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

mattroberts

short version: Works fine... A few rough edges.

longer version...

I have shot ~1000 photos and ~10 video clips using magic lantern. Nothing went wrong, so I can only list the rough edges.  And, as I haven't used magic lantern before; I do not know if any of these issues are caused by "don't set properties" code - so sorry if I am wasting your time / requesting features in the wrong place.

* When selecting ISO and White Balance, it'd be very useful to see the histogram.
* When using a custom (or auto) white balance, it'd be nice to know what that settings actually is (in degrees K).
* When connecting the camera to a computer by USB, it'd be nice to be able to get the .txt files that go along with the movies.
* Trap focus seems a little hit and miss (as if it is checking focus only a few times per second, and missing the time the subject is in focus)
* The canon menu time sometimes shows on top of the ML menu (my "my menu" has both time and update firmware on it) - I think this happens one per minute, on the minute, when the time on the canon menu would need updating.

Anyway, congratulations on making my (and many other) 7D much better.

Digital Corpus

On my vacation I shot more than 250 little videos with ML. Not a single issue. Even with numerous Err 70's due to mucking about.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

stir fry a lot

How much money are you guys away from getting the decompiling software?

feureau

Quote from: mattroberts on November 12, 2012, 08:20:20 PM
* When selecting ISO and White Balance, it'd be very useful to see the histogram.
* When using a custom (or auto) white balance, it'd be nice to know what that settings actually is (in degrees K).
* When connecting the camera to a computer by USB, it'd be nice to be able to get the .txt files that go along with the movies.

But... ML already does all of this...

nanomad

Merged, please keep it in one place
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

angelomedia

:-\ :(
Hi I went through all the steps over and over again... and I still can't run the ML firmware on my 7D - "firware update program...Loading" then after like 3 seconds i see my live view screen nothing changed....
When I go back to the Menu of the camera and Firmware it says: "Ver. 2.0.3-ml-v2.3.NEXT"

did I miss any step? so far NO luck...

HELP! thanx
p.s. I did tons of CF formats and copied the files on the root folder as shown on the vimeo tutorial video

ilguercio

Quote from: angelomedia on November 13, 2012, 01:02:09 PM
Hi I went through all the steps over and over again... and I still can't run the ML firmware on my 7D - "firware update program...Loading" then after like 3 seconds i see my live view screen nothing changed....
When I go back to the Menu of the camera and Firmware it says: "Ver. 2.0.3-ml-v2.3.NEXT"

HELP! thanx
p.s. I did tons of CF formats and copied the files on the root folder as shown on the vimeo tutorial video
Are you aware of the fact that you've actually loaded ML successfully?
The proof of its presence it's that firmware change, not in the LV screen.
Go figure why every single newbie thinks that ML is just a bunch of overlays on the LV screen.
You have to activate them.
::)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

g3gg0

Quote from: angelomedia on November 13, 2012, 01:02:09 PM

HELP! thanx

errhhhm... you have successfully loaded ML then....
tried pressing trashcan button?

angelomedia

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 13, 2012, 01:20:53 PM

errhhhm... you have successfully loaded ML then....
tried pressing trashcan button?

after getting back on liveview mode and then the trashcan YES! it worked... thanx... i was stuck at work with this issue... didnt want to go home  ;D

Thanx g3gg0~~!

mattroberts

Quote from: feureau on November 12, 2012, 09:42:56 PM

But... ML already does all of this...

Do you mean it does on other cameras, or with the 7d alpha 1 version of magic lantern?

Just so we are on the same page I've double checked that my comment are valid and I think that they are...

When in live view (with ML running) I have the histogram overlay / fast zebras.   I press the ISO button and I can select ISO (but cannot see any magic lantern overlays, which makes iso selection harder). When I return to LV (by pressing set) then I can see the overlays again.  I don't think that this is ideal, it'd be better if the overlays were visible at the same time as the ISO selection.

With regard to the WB, if you select auto white balance magic lantern says "AutoWB" but not the degrees kelvin that would give the same result.  (and with a custom white balance it says "Custom").  It is only when you set the white balance in degrees K that magic lantern displays white balance in degrees K.  Have I missed an option that says "please display white balance in degrees K all the time"?

Finally, the .txt files are on the CF card.  But I am one of those crazy types who prefers to use the camera itself as a card reader, when I do that I cannot see the .txt files.  (my guess is that this rouge edge is the hardest to 'fix'... but I would love to proved wrong).  Obviously, using a CF reader other than the camera would avoid this problem, but I'd rather have options.

--

One last thought: do the versions in the "bitrate monster" thread change any of the behaviour above?  should I test that version?

g3gg0

simply do not use the camera as card reader.
it is no card reader. it is a "media device" and you will only see the MOV/JPGs, but not the txt etc.

Digital Corpus

g3gg0,

Anything we can specifically help you with the development of the 7D's ML port?
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

g3gg0

come here and do my main job, then i will have a lot of time to do the port ;)
kidding.

i think in 3-4 days i can tell you when the alpha 2 is ready.

chasv

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on November 15, 2012, 09:32:53 AM

i think in 3-4 days i can tell you when the alpha 2 is ready.

Hooray! \o/

W00t!