First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tferradans

Tested it during this week, on a friend's camera, for a few days in a row. Great results and absolutely no problems with the enabled features so far!

Great work!

cracky123456

Quote from: ilguercio on October 25, 2012, 01:37:33 AM
Wow, but is it worth the epic size?

i am a video guy ...but  i dont really know whats that mean.... :-[
better quality ? no compression ? better compression ? what exactly the meaning ?.....

g3gg0

i uploaded a test video.  7 seconds, 254 MiB....
used a very high f-stop and very high ISO to get a lot of noise.

will shoot trees outside on weekend.

http://upload.g3gg0.de/pub_files/58018fa07888c1c9023edf21ee15eab3/MVI_3014.MOV
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

sibero80

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 25, 2012, 10:43:10 PM
i uploaded a test video.  7 seconds, 254 MiB....
used a very high f-stop and very high ISO to get a lot of noise.

http://upload.g3gg0.de/pub_files/58018fa07888c1c9023edf21ee15eab3/MVI_3014.MOV

DOWNLOADING! Thanks!  by the way, if you could record mounted on a tripod, with and without modified bitrate, id would be of huge help for comparinson!

beej

Quote from: cracky123456 on October 25, 2012, 10:42:52 PM
i am a video guy ...but  i dont really know whats that mean.... :-[
better quality ? no compression ? better compression ? what exactly the meaning ?.....

Typically, DSLR's use fairly heavy compression. This keeps the file sizes down, at the expense of "quality". How that loss of quality appears will depend on the footage. For example, if you have an area in the frame of very high detail, like a sparkly shiny cloth, that will rob the video of much of it's bandwidth, causing other parts of the frame to lose detail and be washed out.

Increasing the bit rate means there is less overall compression and more bandwidth, which means that cases like these don't rob the video of quality and fine details. This is only one example, there are other cases where you can also see artifacts, poor compression, blocky handling, loss of detail etc.

Now - if you are shooting video and for your purposes are fine with the default quality, then you don't need to increase the bit rate.

However, there are some of us that do want this control, and to have the ability to increase the birate if the scenario requires it - so, it's a good feature to have.. ;)

cracky123456

Quote from: beej on October 25, 2012, 11:29:17 PM
Typically, DSLR's use fairly heavy compression. This keeps the file sizes down, at the expense of "quality". How that loss of quality appears will depend on the footage. For example, if you have an area in the frame of very high detail, like a sparkly shiny cloth, that will rob the video of much of it's bandwidth, causing other parts of the frame to lose detail and be washed out.

Increasing the bit rate means there is less overall compression and more bandwidth, which means that cases like these don't rob the video of quality and fine details. This is only one example, there are other cases where you can also see artifacts, poor compression, blocky handling, loss of detail etc.

Now - if you are shooting video and for your purposes are fine with the default quality, then you don't need to increase the bit rate.

However, there are some of us that do want this control, and to have the ability to increase the birate if the scenario requires it - so, it's a good feature to have.. ;)

8) got it....... thats why g3gg0 said he is gonna shoot some trees...there is  Always in the  green leaves some quality loss - pixels.....

10x.... ::)

Northwinds

Really impressed so far!
Just one problem in Live view I keep getting the little temperature icon warning.
This is happening when I just switched on so seems unlikely to be a real temp issue.
Is there a way to disable this?

Apologies if this has already been covered but i'm still making my way through these posts and other info, hoping to use this when filming for a friend tomorrow.

Thanks for all this!
Cheers!

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 25, 2012, 10:43:10 PM

Any chance for another alpha so we can shoot trees on weekend, too? :3

hjfilmspeed

Sheesh! thats fast! Now im wondering whos going to prove to be the powerhouse? The 5d3 or the 7d. Great work yall as always im impressed!

P337

I'm pretty sure it's the 5D3, for starters the 7D is 32bit rather than 64bit (so no getting around the 4GB limit file sizes) but I do consider the 7D a close second now that it has ML, Thanks again g3gg0 ;D

g3gg0

Quote from: feureau on October 26, 2012, 02:06:09 AM
Any chance for another alpha so we can shoot trees on weekend, too? :3

alpha 2? i doubt that since i am busy this weekend.
but i will try to get another alpha out maybe mid november.

the only problem - some features cause the camera to not shut down clean.
i will have to investigate and work around this problem.
this can be done in 2 hours, or it could take 2 weeks.

i could prepare a special version that only adds bitrate (errh, nitrate), but this would be for a small number or persons only.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

edwmotion

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 25, 2012, 12:22:27 AM
now hit the limit...

...of my CF card i guess....

267mbps ??? WTF??????????:o    ;D

RenatoPhoto

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 26, 2012, 09:36:45 AM

i could prepare a special version that only adds bitrate (errh, nitrate), but this would be for a small number or persons only.

I would definetly try it!  Could you enable HDR video if its working also?
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

unimatrix098

I'm looking to buy a Canon DSLR (because of Magic Lantern  :) ) and I'm looking at 60D and 7D. Can someone give me rough estimation for a version on 7D (not 100% of the features, more like 70%, HDR is more important for me... ). So 3-6 months or more than an year? This will greatly help me in my decision, thanks! :)

nanomad

I'm sorry but I lost my crystall ball when I moved here  :-\
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

stir fry a lot

Quote from: unimatrix098 on October 26, 2012, 01:47:00 PM
I'm looking to buy a Canon DSLR (because of Magic Lantern  :) ) and I'm looking at 60D and 7D. Can someone give me rough estimation for a version on 7D (not 100% of the features, more like 70%, HDR is more important for me... ). So 3-6 months or more than an year? This will greatly help me in my decision, thanks! :)

Once they get the decompiling software they need development will really speed up. Unfortunately it's really expensive so it's up to us to raise the money for it. I think they're fairly close to their goal and I plan on contributing a large sum pretty soon but it'd be cool if everyone that downloads ML could throw these guys a little support. I "imagine" they'd be able to get 70% working well before a year but that also depends on how quickly this software comes through for them too. The software will also aid in the development of all the other bodies as well AFAIK.

Walter Schulz

Thankful for curing a bad case of "Magic Lantern Envy" I reactivated my PayPal account and donated.
I almost gave up hope and caught myself thinking about a 6xxD ...

You know you rock, don't you?

Ciao, Walter

thhedk

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 25, 2012, 09:34:16 AM

the 4GiB limit is not likely to get removed in 7D, as it works with 32 bit file sizes.
600D works with 64 bits, so this one is possible to override 4GiB limit.

My old Canon HF100 and my GoPro also has a 4GB limit, but they don't stop, they just continue on a new file with no gab when you put them together in Premiere.
Do you know why 7D stops, and can you something about it?

krump

Just to Ping in and express my graditude... a million thanks from the icy tundra

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 26, 2012, 09:36:45 AM

Have lots of cards, and willing to try! :D

Please please pretty please with sugar lumps on top? :3

Stedda

The people that have nothing to contribute ask for the most, what a world.   ::)
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

cbrgta

great job g3gg0 and team!!
Love ML on my 7D. Just made a donation to help the cause  :D

can't wait for the alpha2 with intervalometer, bracketing and mostly increased video bitrate  8)

thanks a lot guys!!

g3gg0

thanks.
i am busy this weekend and will continue development on monday.
until then you won't see any news.
sorry, but family has priority  ;)

_iLiam

Are silent pics available at all or looking possible in the close future?

7D is in the post so I'll be testing from day 1

Coming from a 500D will full ML release so I am rearing to go!
| Canon 5D | Canon7D | 85mm f1.2 | 18-135mm | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 f4 | 28mm f2.8 |
www.liamnewman.co.uk

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 26, 2012, 11:26:25 PM
thanks.
i am busy this weekend and will continue development on monday.
until then you won't see any news.
sorry, but family has priority  ;)

Have fun! \o/