First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

Quote from: endelight on October 23, 2012, 08:18:06 AM
Hello!

I installed ML Alpha 1 for 7D several times and followed always exactly the instructions. But: nothing happens when I press the DELETE button. Display remains black. Everything else works. I have now re-installed ML 5x.

I use a Sandisk Ultra 8GB CF-Card.

Any ideas?

what is ML 5x !?

can you please upload a video where you show what steps you've done?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

endelight

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 23, 2012, 09:04:32 AM
what is ML 5x !?

can you please upload a video where you show what steps you've done?

5x = 5 times...

Thanks for your post! BUT I am such a M-O-R-O-N. I have downloaded the original firmware (17MB) and installed it over and over again... until I saw there is another download for the ML alpha 1.  ::)

I am ashamed  :-[

Now it works! You guys are gods! Thank you very much!

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

dutchguy

I noticed a problem when using ML: when I tried to focus normally (not using LiveView) using a focus point other than the middle focus point, the camera could not lock the focus. When I turned off the camera (so ML was deactivated) and tried again, focus was working fine.

I have not tried this again, so it could be a one-time problem, but maybe someone else can try to reproduce?

Anyway for the rest ML was working fine, the magic zoom is great (although it flickers quite a lot).

a1ex

Normally, ML should not alter AF functionality at all.

Please try to reproduce.

dutchguy

Quote from: a1ex on October 13, 2012, 08:56:14 AM
Magic Zoom usually flickers in high-FPS modes. Try changing the size or the position, it sometimes helps.

There is a way to implement it flicker-free, but at the risk of altering frame rate and introducing jitter.
Is it also a known issue that it flickers on 1080p 25fps? I'll try changing the size to see if that helps.

dutchguy

Quote from: a1ex on October 23, 2012, 10:33:08 AM
Normally, ML should not alter AF functionality at all.

Please try to reproduce.
Ok, I will try to reproduce using the same conditions.

rebel_rob

if this has been answered already i'm sorry, but i can't seem to upload the ML file to the root of the camera. is there any specific reason why this is happening? both firmwares seemed to have installed to the camera just fine but this is the only thing holding me from being able to get magic lantern.

P337

So Canon's next 5D3 firmware update will include Clean 4:2:2 HDMI out and center point Phase Detect AF for f/8 which they've also recently enabled on the 1DX with a firmware update.

My question is, will there be any possibility of enabling f/8 Phase Detect Auto Focusing for the 7D through Magic Lantern?

Thanks for all your work! ;-D   

a1ex

Most probably not. Magic Lantern does not copy Canon code, see FAQ.

jmalmsten

Quote from: rebel_rob on October 23, 2012, 10:23:36 PM
if this has been answered already i'm sorry, but i can't seem to upload the ML file to the root of the camera. is there any specific reason why this is happening? both firmwares seemed to have installed to the camera just fine but this is the only thing holding me from being able to get magic lantern.

Looks like you are using the 7D as a card reader. If that is so, then the behavior is expected. The camera will only allow VERY limited accessability to the CF-card. And writing weird folder-structures(as we have to with ML) isn't part of it. The only way to install ML right now is to use an external card reader (not the camera) to write the files needed to the card.
My semi-bilingual site - >http://www.jmalmsten.com

P337

Quote from: a1ex on October 23, 2012, 10:31:41 PM
Most probably not. Magic Lantern does not copy Canon code, see FAQ.

Ah I see, so the feature isn't already in there just limited to f/5.6, this would actually require writing/re-writing new code which Canon now owns.

Ok, thanks anyway.

rebel_rob

Thanks jmalmsten! i didn't know that. well it's too bad that i don't have a card reader then :\ looks like i'll have to wait for the official version.

a1ex

There are no signs that Canon might release an official version of Magic Lantern yet.

cracky123456

Quote from: a1ex on October 23, 2012, 10:54:02 PM
There are no signs that Canon might release an official version of Magic Lantern yet.
:o
why not ? its better then their crappy firmware.

ML = android for canon ! (screw itunes)

ilguercio

Quote from: cracky123456 on October 23, 2012, 11:23:41 PM
:o
why not ? its better then their crappy firmware.

ML = android for canon ! (screw itunes)
??? ::)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

rebel_rob

haha sorry i guess i meant a more stable non-alpha version of ML for the 7D. not official as in Canon providing it.

ilguercio

Quote from: rebel_rob on October 23, 2012, 11:55:12 PM
haha sorry i guess i meant a more stable non-alpha version of ML for the 7D. not official as in Canon providing it.
Are you actually reading what is being posted? The problem with your 7D is not the alpha state but the lack of a simple and cheap card reader. Are you seriously saying that you can't afford one? LOL.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

robertzemekis

Very good work! We wait stable release! Thanks!  :)

g3gg0

what do you video guys think of that? ;)

ilguercio

Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

jmalmsten

Soooo... am I reading that right when I say that it's analytics of a video that is variable bitrate with average bitrate of around 100 Mbps and maxing out at 200Mbps? sounds interesting... would like to see example videos and how we can use it...

Anyways... Sounds awesome. :)
My semi-bilingual site - >http://www.jmalmsten.com

sanderbontje

That is truly one of the ML surprises that one could have only dreamt of!  :o

Fantastic.

g3gg0

yep, right :)

but i have one problem....
could not get higher than 200mbit/s using CBR parameters. tried x5.5 now and i dont get higher... hmmm

P337