First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pelican

Quote from: a1ex on October 20, 2012, 09:36:39 AM
Are the dropped frames real or just 7D's CPU is too slow to playback the video file?
It seems real.
"The video file shows the "dropped frames" when played back by the 7D, through the external HDMI or if the video file is copied and played back through a computer."

EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

a1ex

I've had such reports before, and so far, in all cases, the computer / camera were not fast enough to play the video.

Funkyjam

Hey, It's my first time using ML and I have a small question.

After I turn my camera off and when turn on again I have to upgrade the firmware again so I have ML.

Is it normal or I did something wrong?

a1ex

It's normal to read the first post before posting ;)

Funkyjam

Heheh Sorry :P

Thanks for the help and amazing job with ML.

g3gg0

Quote from: chroma on October 20, 2012, 05:22:55 AM
When I record a video 24p1080 with ML fimware running with Marshall 5" Monitor connected via HDMI, the video file recorded to the CF card has a periodic "stutter" or "dropped frames" throughout.

The video file shows the "dropped frames" when .... played back through a computer.

thanks for reporting.
can you a) run a card benchmark and b) send me your MAGIC.CFG?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

chroma

Quote from: a1ex on October 20, 2012, 10:44:35 AM
I've had such reports before, and so far, in all cases, the computer / camera were not fast enough to play the video.

Not wanting to step on any toes here!

The PC I use for video editing is fast enough to play back RED 4k files at 24fps, and the 7D video files are copied from the CF card to the PC's hard drive.  I convert to CineForm DI for editing.  I've also gone frame by frame and you can see the jump (in both mp4 orginals and CF avi DIs).

The "dropped frames" situation only seems to occur when the camera is in ML w/ the Marshall monitor hooked through the HDMI...also the 7D is in Manual mode when I shoot video.

g3gg0

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 20, 2012, 06:40:41 PM
thanks for reporting.
can you a) run a card benchmark and b) send me your MAGIC.CFG?

@chroma:
np.
can you do this please? thanks.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

chroma

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 20, 2012, 09:00:29 PM
@chroma:
np.
can you do this please? thanks.

Ran 2 different Benchmarks.  First, clean ML boot with No Monitor Attached:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E642B6CE19214075!132&authkey=!AOZD8t2Pd1dMjkA

2nd, clean ML boot with the Marshall Monitor Attached:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E642B6CE19214075!133&authkey=!AItmv5ki8o_HASQ

Praying you can download these files!

g3gg0

Quote from: chroma on October 20, 2012, 09:32:10 PM
Ran 2 different Benchmarks.  First, clean ML boot with No Monitor Attached:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E642B6CE19214075!132&authkey=!AOZD8t2Pd1dMjkA

2nd, clean ML boot with the Marshall Monitor Attached:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=E642B6CE19214075!133&authkey=!AItmv5ki8o_HASQ

Praying you can download these files!

"Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now. Please try again later."

you can use: http://upload.g3gg0.de/

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 20, 2012, 10:21:44 PM
"Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now. Please try again later."

you can use: http://upload.g3gg0.de/

The links worked for me so I went ahead and uploaded them for you. cheers

g3gg0

g3gg0

i tried it with a samsung smart tv with 1920x1080.
recorded a video of a green laser pointer dot moving over a surface.
couldnt notice any drops there.

can you explain the scene more detailed and post some images?
i think that would help a lot.

chroma

Here's what I've found.

With the ML booted, 1080p24 video with the Marshall monitor connected through HDMI, the problem occurs on BOTH Live View and Record.  Pan the camera fast, back and forth and there's a periodic "hitch" or "freeze."

When I turn OFF "GLOBAL DRAW," everything works Normal.

So I re-enabled GLOBAL DRAW and started turning off items in the OVERLAY menu.  What I've found is that if you turn OFF HISTOGRAM and WAVEFORM, the problem goes away totally.

If you enable HISTOGRAM, it works longer between hitches.

If the MAGIC ZOOM is red dotted (can't use under 1080i), it makes the problem worse.  Disabling it (no dot) makes things a little better.

AUDIO METERS and the SPOTMETER have no effect, they are fine enabled or disabled.

g3gg0

thanks a lot. it looks like some CPU load issue.
will try with panning.

exe

Great work g3gg0!!! Any news on an alpha 2 maybe or the motion detection function? Thank you for all the hard work and dedication!

beej

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM
* please don't beg for adding feature XYZ, it will be added as soon as it works without issues.

In general, it's best if people don't pressure the devs about what/when etc and just let them get on with it - when there is something to announce, they'll announce it... ;)

jamz

I've been using the False colour in Marshall monitor mode and the colors aren't accurate in regards to the actual Marshall monitor colour Key (which is the same as Zacuto EVF which i usually use) .For example...the pink on the Marshall key is actually orange for Magic lantern. The clipped areas which are red on the Marshall is Black on magic lantern and the different areas of yellow shades on the Marshall are different shades of red on magic lantern. I'm not sure how you guys program the colour but if you can use something like a eyedropper tool to sample the colour from the actual Marshall colour key it would be great. I think this is quite important.

a1ex

If you can tell us the exact Marshall palette, we'll use it. What ML uses was approximated from the graphs on their site.

a1ex

Use the spotmeter and write down the exact values where the color transitions should be.

jamz

From Photoshop the codes for the Marshall false colour from Bottom to top are as follows:

Fushia=ed1585 or R=237, G=21,B=133
1st layer of Blue= 007ac0  or R=0,G=122,B=192
2nd layer Blue=4893cd  or R=72,G=147,B=205
1st layer of Gray=585858 or R=88,G=88,B=88
Green=64bc47 or R=100,G=188,B=71
2nd layer of Gray=828282 or R=130,G=130,B=130
Pink=f19f9f or R= 241,G=159,B=159
3rd layer of Gray=aeadac or R=174,G=173,B=172
1st layer yellow=e7e514 or R=231,G=229,B=20
2nd layer Yellow=f7ec1f  or R=274, G=236,B=31
3rd layer yellow=ffc60a  or R=255,G=198,B=10
Red=ff4343 or R=255,G=67,B=67

Zacuto is very similar...not the same, but close. I can provide the Zacuto EVF also if you like.

a1ex

Did I tell you to use the spotmeter?

I need to know e.g. from luma 128 to luma 140 the display should be blue; from 140 to 150 should be pink etc. I don't see this information in your post.

jamz

will do. I didn't quite understand first.

endelight

Hello!

I installed ML Alpha 1 for 7D several times and followed always exactly the instructions. But: nothing happens when I press the DELETE button. Display remains black. Everything else works. I have now re-installed ML 5x.

I use a Sandisk Ultra 8GB CF-Card.

Any ideas?