First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beej

madebysander

Quote from: Digital Corpus on October 18, 2012, 09:49:02 AM
Since you mention shutdown, is it safe to assume it cleanly boots from the card now?

totally awesome

Digital Corpus

Quote from: madebysander on October 18, 2012, 04:40:42 PM
totally awesome
Read his response, this is not the case. We will still have to load the firmware from the on camera update screen
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

madebysander

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 18, 2012, 09:01:53 AM
just to keep you informed:
intervalometer, bracketing (HDR, apterture) and bulb ramping seems to work fine.
i am just having shutdown issues which means, powering off the camera will turn the screen black, but it will still consume power.
this happens only after one of these functions was used.

removing battery and re-insert will of course work ;)
as this looks like a generic problem of shutting down (how tasks should behave) we are investigating this atm.

That is good to hear, g3gg0!! :D If you don't mind me asking, what about the video bitrate controls? Do they work? (in particular increasing the bitrate, and all-i?) There's no mention of that at the wiki...

g3gg0

Quote from: feureau on October 18, 2012, 09:51:49 PM
That is good to hear, g3gg0!! :D If you don't mind me asking, what about the video bitrate controls? Do they work? (in particular increasing the bitrate, and all-i?) There's no mention of that at the wiki...

nothing at all
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

thefrost

Finally tried it out, and it works great. Just magic zoom alone makes it worth while.

However, I did notice something that might be perfectly fine, but might be an issue ? The second time I loaded ML, I noticed that my menu settings, and even my ghost image (just had to try), are still there. I would have thought that with this release all would be gone. Of course this is useful, but is there not the risk that a  'bugged' menu settings, makes the next loading of ML impossible, thereby basically bricking the camera (or at least making future ML loading impossible ?)

g3gg0

settings etc are saved to card ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

thefrost

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 19, 2012, 01:22:05 AM
settings etc are saved to card ;)
Ah!! Then it makes all sense. Clever.

lhseong

Thanks @g3gg0, the alpha work really well.
I used chipped 3rd party battery and SD-CF adapter with SanDisk Extreme 64GB,
all work fine.
BTW, is the AGC disabler working now ?
Search through the wiki, seem no status update for it.

Again, thank you !

a1ex

Isn't AGC disabled in 2.0.3?!

rock soderstrom

True, you can disable AGC since V2.0!

sgtpetter

Thank you for revitalizing my 7D!!!! Donated again. Keep up the great work!!!

lhseong

Quote from: a1ex on October 19, 2012, 07:34:32 AM
Isn't AGC disabled in 2.0.3?!
The option is available in 2.0.3,
but not in this 7D ML alpha.
Wiki also do not have status about it.

nanomad

I'm sorry but I lost you there. This alpha needs 2.0.3 so it should be already available to you. We don't modify the original firmware. Check in the canon menus
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

lhseong

Quote from: nanomad on October 19, 2012, 10:25:22 AM
I'm sorry but I lost you there. This alpha needs 2.0.3 so it should be already available to you. We don't modify the original firmware. Check in the canon menus
oh, is the AGC disable mean set the "Sound recording" to manual ?
sorry that I am abit confuse as previously I used 550D + ML.

feureau

Quote from: lhseong on October 19, 2012, 10:34:47 AM

Yes, setting sound recording volume manually means AGC is disabled.

Pelican

Quote from: lhseong on October 19, 2012, 10:34:47 AM
:o
Why do you want disable AGC if you don't even know what does it mean? :-)
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

P337

Hey guys, haven't had the chance to thank g3gg0 and the team yet, thanks guys!  ;D

In hopes to clear up the AGC concerns, AGC is just Auto Sound Levels (Auto Gain Control) which can be useful but the preamps in these DSLRs are too noisey so when set to high levels (whenever it got quiet) you would hear a "hiss" in the background.  7D's 2.0 firmware gave us Manual control over the sound recording so now it won't automatically jump up and introduce that "hiss", just be sure to manually set your levels low.  What he may be referring to though is the "Digital" and "Analog" Audio Gain found in the other versions of Magic Lantern.

This build is working great, just one bug I found.  Whenever I turn my Canon EOS 7D Camera Body off then back on again Magic Lantern disappears! It's like it's only stored in the Camera's RAM or something... Just Kidding ;-P

I did find a potential crash though, but haven't been able to reproduce it.

I had all the Magic Lantern Video features on (except False Color and Ghost Image) and I had Trap Focus enabled.  I was switching between Canon's "Custom User Settings" (C1 C2 C3) to take video and another to take pictures.  When switching back from C3 (my video settings) to C2 (my photo settings) suddenly Magic Lantern was gone.  I was reverted to the official Canon 2.0.3 firmware but just had to "re-upgrade" to Magic Lantern.  Everything was back, none of my Magic Lantern setting or Canon Menu setting were effected.  I assume the RAM got dumped when switching from C3 to C2, maybe I didn't realize the card was busy when I switched and that caused it but I haven't been able to reproduce it yet.  Also I had my Canon Menu "auto power off" feature off so I know it didn't go idle.

lhseong

thanks guys for explain the AGC.  ;D

Gert arijs

Probably not a bug: when I switch my 7D off and turn it back on (quickly, the 'sensor cleaning' isn't finished yet), ML stays on.
Maybe a bug or maybe intended (or not possible to change): shutter count is only updated after power down (and reinstall of ML).

Thanks again, i'm looking forward to test focus trap on magpies next week :-). Just for fun, if it works, i'll post it here!

jamz

i'm continually using ML getting more and more of a the hang of it and Its great! Again thanks for all the time spent on this guys!

Something I did notice was that I wanted to save particular settings to the LV display presets.And when I try to make a particular preset using the waveform monitor, it changes in the other presets. This should not be the case as the rest of the settings of the features (that I know of) can be saved to a particular preset without it affecting another preset. So in a nutshell I have waveform set to FULL SCREEN in one preset and its that way in ALL presets.

Also if you can make the focal distance notifier/scale more responsive (quicker) that would be great. right now it takes a long time to load when u change the focal length.

chroma

New Member, First Post.

Thanks for developing the 7D ML software.  As a former RED ONE owner/operator, I'm very used to histograms and RGB overexposure indicators...So ML is GREAT!

I am noticing a strange behavior with my 7D using the new ML alpha, so I wanted to run it by you.

When I record a video 24p1080 with Canon 2.0.3 firmware, video file looks normal.

When I record a video 24p1080 with Canon 2.0.3 firmware with Marshall 5" Monitor connected via HDMI, video file looks normal.

When I record a video 24p1080 with ML firmware running, video file looks normal.

When I record a video 24p1080 with ML fimware running with Marshall 5" Monitor connected via HDMI, the video file recorded to the CF card has a periodic "stutter" or "dropped frames" throughout.

The video file shows the "dropped frames" when played back by the 7D, through the external HDMI or if the video file is copied and played back through a computer.

I am wondering if there's some kind of data "bottleneck" under those 3 specific conditions:  1, running  ML, 2, using external HDMI, 3, recording video.  Could this be happening because the 7D ML "alpha" is a CF card driven firmware, not flashed or installed?  Sorry if this is a bone-headed hypothesis!

a1ex

Are the dropped frames real or just 7D's CPU is too slow to playback the video file?