First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

feureau

Awesome. Thank you. I'll try that next time it happens.

Cheers!

Gert arijs

Ok, I tried ML with the MP-E 65mm 1-5x macro lens. Everything went well, no issues. Focus Peaking and zebras were tested.
I'll try to do more tests/lenses as soon as I find the time.
Cheers!

timster

Doesn't work with me... :'(

The install of 2.0.3 seems to work.
I formatted the card.
When I run the update with the ML FIR file, it jumps from the "Firmware update program" screen right to the normal screen.

I checked the checksum and tried over and over again. I tried both my CF cards and with the original canon battery.

Anything I could have missed?

Am I really the only one?

EDIT:
it was the trash key i was missing *feel stupid*

bry

You're sure it's not working?
Did you press the Trash key to see if it loads ML menu?

nanomad

Also: a video of the issue is usually very helpful
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

fr_7D

Hello everyone

Thank you g3gg0, a1ex and the dev team. It is awesome!

I successfully installed ML on my 7D, using Linux (Simply unzip magiclantern-7D.203.Alpha1.zip on the root directory of the CF Card).
Now I have lots of work to understand how ML works :) I already like very much the Focus Peak feature.

Regards and keep the good work.

rpedro

Is the timelapse function on the alpha version? Cuz this is the only function interesting me.

a1ex

Yes, but you need to use an external intervalometer and read the first post ;)

beej

Quote from: timster on October 16, 2012, 07:31:08 PM
When I run the update with the ML FIR file, it jumps from the "Firmware update program" screen right to the normal screen.
I checked the checksum and tried over and over again. I tried both my CF cards and with the original canon battery.

On the menu that displays the firmware version, if it just says 2.0.3 then you do not have ML running (check your installation, copied to the right place, download not corrupt etc).

If it says something like "2.0.3-ml..." then it's installed and (presumably) working fine. Press the trash key, read the manual, etc :)

timster

now it works just fine! thanks guys!

Digital Corpus

I'm not sure if this in intended behavior or not, or even specific to the alpha or not, but I'll post it anyhow.

With Zebras turned on with underexposure clipping, along with crop marks that black out a portion of the video, the underexposure zebra lights up the cropped out, black out area instead of just portions inside the video frame. Granted teh crop marks are in the video frame, but this is improper behavior.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

g3gg0

Quote from: Digital Corpus on October 16, 2012, 09:38:15 PMthis is improper behavior.

right, and this is known as a general ML issue.
there might be a fix for this somwhen, when we know how to deal with that.
(its about digic registers)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

thefrost

Just downloaded the files, and checked the MD5 of the FLIR...

I get:

c7404865229b62bac9e5bdc99eb057b0

Instead of :
29AF55CF2B404D2A60220BC9CC579EFD

Was the FLIR updated, or am I doing something wrong ? It does not match the MD5 of the zipfile either...

g3gg0

the MD5 is of the ORIGINAL CANON 7D000203.FIR, not of magic lanterns 7D000203_ML.FIR
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

thefrost

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 16, 2012, 11:04:57 PM
the MD5 is of the ORIGINAL CANON 7D000203.FIR, not of magic lanterns 7D000203_ML.FIR
Ahh. You mean, as CLEARLY stated in opening post ?
Thing is I already had 2.0.3 installed so I skipped that part... Thank you...

LEO_AR2012

Loving this Firmaware!!!!!!!!!!!!

No issues whatsoever while using the original Canon battery.
But I get this message "cannot communicate with battery" when using a non Canon battery.
Could anyone tell me if there is gonna be a "way around" to this issue in the future or it is impossible to run this Firmware without Canon batteries?
Thanks in advance and Congrats for such of fantastic release for the 7D.

g3gg0

Quote from: thefrost on October 16, 2012, 11:13:51 PM
Ahh. You mean, as CLEARLY stated in opening post ?

exactly identified by filename in troubleshooting section ;)

RenatoPhoto

Congratulations Mr. g3gg0 more than 5000 downloads and going strong!  If you asked for $2 donation for each download you should have the new develpment tools in your hands.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

g3gg0

Quote from: RenatoPhoto on October 16, 2012, 11:50:22 PM
Congratulations Mr. g3gg0 more than 5000 downloads and going strong!  If you asked for $2 donation for each download you should have the new develpment tools in your hands.

thanks.
then we would have less than 500 downloads :D
but we would be able to buy IDA pro, thats correct :)

Digital Corpus

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 16, 2012, 09:40:28 PM
right, and this is known as a general ML issue.
there might be a fix for this somwhen, when we know how to deal with that.
(its about digic registers)
Ahhh, that makes more sense for focus peaking and zebras etc. The algorithms are working off of the video signal not the displayed resolution in Live View. That explains why I noticed focus peaking picking up the moire when in 720p mode as well...

A temp fix would be based off of the displayed markers (2x2 colored squares by the looks of it), and could just be limited by the crop marks like a mask. Though I can understand how that approach hasn't been taken as it's a tad bit lazy and wouldn't solve the actual problem of limiting the algorithms to just the pixels inside the cropped area. I'm happy to see that the whole ML team has the desire for a quality firmware.
7D w/ ML | Tokina ATX 11-16 | Canon 24 mm pancake | Canon 40 mm pancake | Canon 17-55 f/2.8 IS | Sigma 150-600 Sports

badazzery

OK, I'm so stoked at this development. I upgraded my firmware and loaded the ML 7D alpha. It comes up but the screen is gibberish, I can go from menu item to item but it is totally illegible. Anyone else here experiencing this?

nanomad

Can you upload a video of the issue? (From camera power-on to the "glitch")
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

badazzery

New at this. How do I post an image?

nanomad

Use an image hosting website (like http://imgur.com/) and post the "forum code" or link to the image that it gives you

beej

Quote from: badazzery on October 17, 2012, 12:07:34 AM
OK, I'm so stoked at this development. I upgraded my firmware and loaded the ML 7D alpha. It comes up but the screen is gibberish, I can go from menu item to item but it is totally illegible. Anyone else here experiencing this?

Is it the same issue I describe here?:
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3103.25

(Scroll down to my later posts for the cause and solution...)