First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gert arijs

First of all,
Thanks a lot to the team, it's great work.
I'd like to help you guys with some testing. So today I'll be testing some features with several lenses. But: I'm not a filmer, I'm a photographer. So I have no idea what I should be testing. My initial idea was to test things like focus peaking with all the lenses that are available to me, and then report it here.

What tests (with those lenses) could I do?

Best regards from Belgium,
Gert

a1ex

You can try what functions you find useful. For example, in photo mode I use zebras, histogram (both LV and playback), quick zoom, and sometimes display adjustment (e.g. for sunlight).

I'm not sure if SET+MainDial actions are enabled, but the default one is quite useful for checking highlight and shadow detail.

cracky123456

Quote from: Jasonsilzle on October 16, 2012, 08:43:03 AM
Ugggg..... What a Nooob!!! >:(

Actually I have been doing this for so long I don't really qualify as a noob but man did I make a NOOB mistake. So you all know the little white box on the Canon DSLR that stares us directly in the face all the time (except when ML is running). Well... I decided to try the Alpha of ML on a job this weekend on the 7D and I was recording out to a Ninja 2 with all drawing OFF via ML. And it looks great except the white box decides to come on arbitrarily!! The worst part is I am so used to seeing it I totally ignore it through most of the day shooting. UGGGGG!!!!! Then to make it worst I think there were a couple of times I turned the camera off and then back on expecting ML to autoexe load like on our 60Ds (dooooooo).

I should have used the Ninja with one of our 60Ds as usual. I'll be waiting for the final release now... Bummer.

Thank you so much for the work you guys are doing with ML on the 7D and all the cameras it is awesome. We really appreciate it.I guess the main thing I wanted you to all know is that the white box on a clear drawing doesn't stay off at this point so keep an eye on it! Usually hitting the trashcan back to the ML menu and back will clear it. I also noticed hitting any other Canon menu item usually refreshes the White box and puts it back on screen.  :-\

damn !!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
everything you shoot has this with box ?
i sure hope not.....

this alpha is not for productions..... man.
and there was several posts about the CLEAN hdmi output IN THIS thread ... few days ago...
theres a large chance that they will clean out the graphics that we all can have a clean HDMI to record.

exe

Is the canon 2.0.3 firmware you released on the site the same as the one from the official canon site? Or is it modified to suite the ML 7D Alpha?

a1ex

It's plain Canon firmware. We never distribute modified versions of Canon code, see FAQ.

g3gg0

@Lopo:

the canon firmware we linked is just a link to canon download site, its the original firmware from original download servers.

we cannot simply improve quality by using the second digic. both are used for different things.
this doesnt simply allow us to somehow improve picture quality.

frame rates, as already stated in some other thread, are not patchable yet, and even if we could patch,
i don't expect more fps than any other camera can do. maybe 5 or 10 fps more. not sure. thats just a guess.

WB, yes - thats feature request. maybe some hotkey to smoothly alter WB towards current scene.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

halohunter

sorry for abit ahead, but when will alpha 2 release? :( i know alpha 1 just release last week and....as far as i tested myself, i don't have nay problems whatsoever, from software to hardware, so i really exciting for the next release and test out more features :D, i know i shouldnt ask this question right now but, u know ^^

a1ex

WB shortcut is already in stable ML, just needs ported.

mimiloveyou

Thank you very much for the work.
The HDR and the I-Frame is it possible on the 7D?

Papa schulz

Quote from: mimiloveyou on October 16, 2012, 01:57:37 PM
Thank you very much for the work.
The HDR and the I-Frame is it possible on the 7D?

AUUAUUAUA,  Is possible :), to add HDR O-o. i'm very wow

mitchfx

Reading the release notes on the ML for 7D alpha and it says that "HDR Features" are not enabled yet.  Am I correct to assume this includes the exposure bracketing features?  This is the only feature I have been waiting on and will hold off downloading and installing if that is the case.  Hopefully this is in the works and will see the light of day soon!  Very excited to see 7D development finally coming to fruition!

Thanks,
M

madebysander

hello

thanks you all very much at first for keep on trying it.

i have a question every time when i set my 7d on of i have to reupdate the ML firmware from the card.
i'm i doing something wrong or ?

best regards sander

Papa schulz

Quote from: madebysander on October 16, 2012, 04:04:06 PM
hello

thanks you all very much at first for keep on trying it.

i have a question every time when i set my 7d on of i have to reupdate the ML firmware from the card.
i'm i doing something wrong or ?

best regards sander

No you must re-update when you start the 7D, is normally

madebysander

ok thanks i didn't have to do it on the 600d from my father in law so  i thought i was doing something wrong

thni

@madebysander :

"We can run Magic Lantern from autoexec.bin, but we still can not reliably enable the bootflag to execute it. This means, virgin cameras will only be able to run the .FIR version of ML for now. We know ways to enable the bootflag, but they would involve copyright issues. And that's something we want to avoid."

This means that You have to run the firmware updater manually everytime You turn on the camera for now, until the team (hopefully) find a way to use the bootflag method without breaking any copyrights...

feureau

Quote from: mitchfx on October 16, 2012, 03:49:48 PM
Reading the release notes on the ML for 7D alpha and it says that "HDR Features" are not enabled yet.  Am I correct to assume this includes the exposure bracketing features?  This is the only feature I have been waiting on and will hold off downloading and installing if that is the case.  Hopefully this is in the works and will see the light of day soon!  Very excited to see 7D development finally coming to fruition!

Thanks,
M

I've been playing with the ML. Yes, the bracketing features are all not enabled. Including the exposure bracketing.

feureau

Cropmarks drops down when going back to live view.

I don't know if this is an issue with ML or just the 7D alpha, but here goes:

When reviewing shots with the cropmarks on, you can press the picture style button to bring up the ML histograms and whatnot, however if you immediately go back to live view, the cropmarks would be displayed lower, like in the playback mode, like so:

http://i.imgur.com/bJfiJ.png

A workaround is to go back to playback/review and make sure you get out of the ML histogram overlay, and back to the regular canon playback/review screen. The cropmarks would be returned to its regular position when going back to live view.

a1ex

Can you tell me the exact key sequence? The same bug is probably in all 4:3 screen cameras, but I can't reproduce it on 500D.

ilguercio

Quote from: a1ex on October 16, 2012, 04:59:34 PM
Can you tell me the exact key sequence? The same bug is probably in all 4:3 screen cameras, but I can't reproduce it on 500D.
I can't reproduce it as well on my 50D.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

stir fry a lot

Quote from: halohunter on October 16, 2012, 01:28:21 PM
sorry for abit ahead, but when will alpha 2 release? :( i know alpha 1 just release last week and....as far as i tested myself, i don't have nay problems whatsoever, from software to hardware, so i really exciting for the next release and test out more features :D, i know i shouldnt ask this question right now but, u know ^^

General forum etiquette is not to ask for ETA's. Not ragging on you but more just putting it out there for anyone else that is thinking about asking.

feureau

Quote from: a1ex on October 16, 2012, 04:59:34 PM

Immediately after loading ML via firmware update:
Switch to movie record mode
Record video
stop recording
hit playback button (the one above the trash button)
hit picture style, let the overlays load with the histogram on top, etc
half-press the shutter button to go back to live view

Strange thing is, I just tried that, then my battery ran out. I've just put in a new battery and tried it again, but now the overlay wouldn't get dropped like that. Although I've been having issues with the overlay gets dropped intermittently over the last few days. Usually I'd need to reflash.

I wonder if I missed something...

I've been using the HD_TA and CINESCO2 overlays if that helps....

feureau

Okay, my 7D is toying with me. It happened again.

Here, I zipped my entire ML on the card with a screenshot of what happened: http://www.mediafire.com/?psndp1z3gebopxj

a1ex

Got it, it's race condition in cropmark redraw algorithm.

Possible fix, to be reviewed by g3gg0:

diff -r 67afabaabc34 src/zebra.c
--- a/src/zebra.c Tue Oct 16 18:30:46 2012 +0300
+++ b/src/zebra.c Tue Oct 16 18:56:48 2012 +0300
@@ -3910,6 +3910,7 @@
     crop_dirty = 0;
}

+static int cropmark_cache_newsig = 0;
static int cropmark_cache_sig = 0;
static int cropmark_cache_get_signature()
{
@@ -3921,15 +3922,15 @@
}
static void cropmark_cache_update_signature()
{
-    cropmark_cache_sig = cropmark_cache_get_signature();
+    cropmark_cache_sig = cropmark_cache_newsig;
}

static int cropmark_cache_is_valid()
{
     if (cropmark_cache_dirty) return 0; // some other ML task asked for redraw

-    int sig = cropmark_cache_get_signature(); // video mode changed => needs redraw
-    if (cropmark_cache_sig != sig) return 0;
+    cropmark_cache_newsig = cropmark_cache_get_signature(); // video mode changed => needs redraw
+    if (cropmark_cache_sig != cropmark_cache_newsig) return 0;

return 1; // everything looks alright
}

feureau

Awesome! That's fast. :D Great job.

Is it a setting I should avoid or something needs to be updated on the code?

a1ex

Theoretical workaround: turn cropmarks off, then close ML menu, then turn them back on. Not tried, but it's just from analyzing the code.