First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3gg0

Quote from: ivanchang on October 15, 2012, 06:20:46 PM
use Original battery

thanks for the video, its perfect and you are doing it right.
so i think, the (required) 2.0.3 canon firmware detects your battery as faulty or thinks its not original.
can you check what the battery info screen says?
or can you check contacts?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

ivanchang

TO:g3gg0

the battery is original..

i don't know , why ?

the camera can't check this battery...@@  all battery

The camera may be a problem

"Cannot communicate with battery use this battery?"

gordoncasey

First off you took me way out of context.  Secondly Magic Lantern is apparently not a community that knows how to take constructive criticism. All g3gg0 did was release a buggy version of 2.0.3 rebranded with Magic Lanterns mDOS aesthetics and  focus peaking. The real reason people like magic lantern is audio controls, hdr, faster bitrates, and the  introvolometer. So may I put myself back into context. "This was a pre-mature release EVEN FOR AN ALPHA" .

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 13, 2012, 09:09:25 AM
read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha to understand developer terms.if that is your position, you didnt understand anything what Magic Lantern is all about.

ilguercio

Try to clean the contact, maybe it helps.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

a1ex

QuoteAll g3gg0 did was release a buggy version of 2.0.3 rebranded with Magic Lanterns mDOS aesthetics and  focus peaking.

Another troll banned.

ilguercio

Quote from: gordoncasey on October 15, 2012, 07:37:56 PM
First off you took me way out of context.  Secondly Magic Lantern is apparently not a community that knows how to take constructive criticism. All g3gg0 did was release a buggy version of 2.0.3 rebranded with Magic Lanterns mDOS aesthetics and  focus peaking. The real reason people like magic lantern is audio controls, hdr, faster bitrates, and the  introvolometer. So may I put myself back into context. "This was a pre-mature release EVEN FOR AN ALPHA" .
You can't complain about free things.
Alpha mean "help me helping you".
You're dealing with a bunch of guys that use their free time to develop good stuff for photographers all over the world. It's not like you're buying something or you have a signed contract.
;)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

a1ex

This guy reminds me of all those who were saying "I'll donate $200 if you implement focus peaking". Ha ha...

ilguercio

The problem is, what is he complaining about?
I don't get it.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

a1ex

He expects a polished product, with the same quality that Canon firmware (which is written by a large team of engineers, testers etc, with proper documentation and equipment), and with 10x more features, and he's insulting g3gg0 for not meeting these expectations.

ilguercio

Quote from: a1ex on October 15, 2012, 08:17:31 PM
He expects a polished product, with the same quality that Canon firmware (which is written by a large team of engineers, testers etc, with proper documentation and equipment), and with 10x more features, and he's insulting g3gg0 for not meeting these expectations.
Taking a plane to Japan and setting up a protest in front of Canon's HQ would have had much more sense.
;D
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

Papa schulz

Another one who did not understand, what is a Alpha version.

Thank you g3gg0 :), for me is wok good, i'm juste start the test in my 7D, take some picture and put after in the forum HDR :).

Sory for the english write, not good, i'm french ^^

inky38

Assuming that this forum is aimed at the public to help test this Alpha release, it would be handy if there was a single page on this forum that detailed

a) what functions are and are not (partially/fully) implemented in the current release
b) a list of issues that have been identified and acknowledged to date. (Hopefully updated regularly)

I realise we can get this info over several pages, I just thought it might help us all out

Stedda

Quote from: a1ex on October 15, 2012, 07:43:03 PM
Another troll banned.

I hope you can ban his IP from all future downloads since he dislikes your guys work so much.
5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

RM22

Quote from: ivanchang on October 15, 2012, 07:25:05 PM
TO:g3gg0

the battery is original..

i don't know , why ?

Make sure you have all the ML folders copied to your memory card,  not just the .fir file. Also, before you flash, check battery info in the Canon menu and make sure your battery is reporting status.

g3gg0

sorry, that there are people who dont know how to behave well in forums.
if you follow this thread, you will see that we indeed accept feedback that is not offending.

short howto:
BAD: saying this is a "pre-matured", "watered down" release and we should "write code instead of posting"
reason: destructive criticism, condescending "you do what i say - i have the money" (srsly, wtf?)

GOOD: well, nearly any other way of telling that you expected feature XY to be implemented.

but:
thanks to all the others who replied here, telling us what we have to know for the next releases. keep that going!
even if we didn't answer directly to your posts, we read them all and think/talk about how to fix issues that were found.
(this is perhaps your post left no open questions to ask ;) )

so lets continue this discussion.
thanks.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

nanomad

Quote from: inky38 on October 15, 2012, 08:29:11 PM
Assuming that this forum is aimed at the public to help test this Alpha release, it would be handy if there was a single page on this forum that detailed

a) what functions are and are not (partially/fully) implemented in the current release
b) a list of issues that have been identified and acknowledged to date. (Hopefully updated regularly)

I realise we can get this info over several pages, I just thought it might help us all out

The first post is regularly updated by g3gg0 himself or one of the mods
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

g3gg0

Quote from: inky38 on October 15, 2012, 08:29:11 PM

a) there is a list of functions and the problems they cause at http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/7D_support
b) this thread is for identifying and documenting problems. some get fixed instantly, others will follow. there is no separate bugtracker.

Quote from: Papa schulz on October 15, 2012, 08:23:34 PM
Thank you g3gg0 :), for me is wok good, i'm juste start the test in my 7D, take some picture and put after in the forum HDR :).

you're welcome. thanks for contributing ;)

Quote from: ivanchang on October 15, 2012, 07:25:05 PM

did i understand that correctly?
a) you tried more than just one battery?
b) camera tells you always (with every battery) that it could not comm. when you try to fw upgrade?
c) when you open "battery info" page it also tells you some error? (screenshot pls)
d) did you check your battery contact? (see photo below)

and please say yes/no for every single point to prevent confusion ;)

stir fry a lot

Do you think creating another donation thermometer would help get the funds together faster to go towards the decompiling software you guys need? I think a lot of people here see donating as more as a gesture rather than something that is actually going to speed up development for our cameras. Once these guys get the software they need it will make it much easier to get all the features working and development should really speed up. Unfortunately it's very expensive and they should not have to foot any of the costs that go towards this since they are doing all the legwork. I have some money coming in at the beginning of next month and will be making another donation to you guys. Thanks again for all the great work.

szigiszmund

Hi, I tried the magic lantern on my 7d and everything seems to work fine.
I would like to know , when revisit the photos been made, and you press the Picture Style button, vectorscop can be expanded to cover the entire screen with histogram and waveform in both corners,
to decide better if the white balance is correct,and if needed to make further adjustments on white balance.The actual szize of vectorscope when review photos is a bit small(in my opinion)
And if possible then to have in the vectorscope menu the option for normal and full screen vectorscope.
Thanks and continue your excellent work.

g3gg0

Quote from: szigiszmund on October 15, 2012, 11:24:29 PM
I would like to know , when revisit the photos been made, and you press the Picture Style button, vectorscop can be expanded to cover the entire screen with histogram and waveform in both corners,

can you please put that in the "Feature Requests" forum?
its not 7D-related, this would be a ML base feature.

javyelow

Hi!! for me ML works well for the moment, maybe i need to learn new things to compruebe it!!

somebody could make a tutorial with the features in this alpha? :)
how to rec the video with a external device for example would be cool

g3gg0 thank you so much to became  our dreams come true
Do you think we could rec 3k format with magic latern in the future?
what features could be come true with the potential of the two cores? do yo imagine something?
or maybe a video h264 4:4:4 format?
more fps??
:D

Lopo

I'm a 7D owner and I am following your amazing work for a couple of years. This will be the first time I'll use ML, so I hope I'm not being too basic in my regards.

1. I noticed your team put a Canon firmware 2.0.3. Is it the normal firmware, released by Canon, or does it have anything different and we should update with this particular one you make available?

2. Would be great - if not remarkable! - if you could take advantage of the two Digic processor on the 7D to enhance the overall image and codec quality.

3. Maybe frame rates above 60fps,

4. Full HD on 60fps or higher (not the current 720p on 60fps limitation).

5. Pro real-time white-balance manual correction, without having to take a photo and then perform the adequate correction.

I just saw you ask, so I'll forward my wb request to "Features Requests".

Proud of you, guys.  :D

exe

Tested out the alpha, it's amazing, it has a lttle lag while focus peaking and the features are a little slow, is that normal? I mean there are 2 cpu's... Could you please make the bitrate option available, or filming at a higher framerate maybe (I don't know if that's even possible :) 200 fps would be great or at least 100), and the motion detection option for taking lightning strikes shots would be great, thank you!

Jasonsilzle

Ugggg..... What a Nooob!!! >:(

Actually I have been doing this for so long I don't really qualify as a noob but man did I make a NOOB mistake. So you all know the little white box on the Canon DSLR that stares us directly in the face all the time (except when ML is running). Well... I decided to try the Alpha of ML on a job this weekend on the 7D and I was recording out to a Ninja 2 with all drawing OFF via ML. And it looks great except the white box decides to come on arbitrarily!! The worst part is I am so used to seeing it I totally ignore it through most of the day shooting. UGGGGG!!!!! Then to make it worst I think there were a couple of times I turned the camera off and then back on expecting ML to autoexe load like on our 60Ds (dooooooo).

I should have used the Ninja with one of our 60Ds as usual. I'll be waiting for the final release now... Bummer.

Thank you so much for the work you guys are doing with ML on the 7D and all the cameras it is awesome. We really appreciate it.I guess the main thing I wanted you to all know is that the white box on a clear drawing doesn't stay off at this point so keep an eye on it! Usually hitting the trashcan back to the ML menu and back will clear it. I also noticed hitting any other Canon menu item usually refreshes the White box and puts it back on screen.  :-\

Pelican

Alpha is definitely not for production...
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down