First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin B.

Thanks So far looking Good...

jmalmsten

Quote from: feureau on October 14, 2012, 01:02:47 AM
Has anyone tried creating custom cropmarks for ML?

I created some custom cropmarks and if I load them on ML, it would freeze the camera. It would lock up, and the shutter will fire, but the camera tries to write for, like, forever. (the red LED flashes on). Turning it off/on again doesn't work, had to remove and reinsert battery.

I'm not sure if it's ML or my cropmarks. I created them by opening an existing cropmark in photoshop, edited, and save-overwrite them to ensure the same encoding, etc.

I can't seem to find the attachment option (if it's enabled at all?) so I uploaded them on mediafire: http://www.mediafire.com/?2b8zs7eilb2exp9

I've also made sure that there's only 8 cropmarks on the card. I dunno if that matters or not, but still..

I tried that route too, but ended up with large pink blocks in the image. So instead I followed the guide at http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Cropmarks and made sure to always end by applying the custom palette provided on that site and then making sure that it's saved as non-RLE-compressed 8bit bmp.

My tip would be to really follow the step by step guide.

Once, it gave big areas of pink that way too. But I found that I hadn't used pure black for the black area that turned pink.

Also, make sure that you only have 9 crop-marks at the most loaded in the folder. My ML refused to load otherwise.

by the way. it seems that the resolution in both the crop-marks and some of the menu-backgrounds don't really match the display-resolution. When trying the cropmarks that comes pre-loaded that has a grid with every other pixel transparent and pure black, it'll give another pattern when displayed on the LCD. Also. When using crop-marks that use single-pixel lines, some of the lines won't render on screen at all. So far I have noticed this with mostly horizontal lines. They seem to get stuck between pixels so to speak. I have worked around this with my own crop-marks by making sure I don't use lines that are less than 2 pixels thick. Is this normal or should we be using some other resolution when creating crop-marks?
My semi-bilingual site - >http://www.jmalmsten.com

a1ex

For 4:3 screens, try to avoid 1-pixel lines and 50% patterns, as - you've guessed - you get aliasing and moire on the bitmap overlay :D

The 3:2 screens don't have this problem.

feureau

Quote from: jmalmsten on October 14, 2012, 12:21:36 PM
I tried that route too, but ended up with large pink blocks in the image. So instead I followed the guide at http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Cropmarks and made sure to always end by applying the custom palette provided on that site and then making sure that it's saved as non-RLE-compressed 8bit bmp.

My tip would be to really follow the step by step guide.

It works! \o/

The only thing I needed to do was turn off RLE compression and left everything at photoshop default, and the cropmarks work.

Thank you!

g3gg0

btw, this version was downloaded more that 2k times now :)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

gielie

Quote from: be21 on October 14, 2012, 12:42:16 AM
Hi

This is my first time installing magic lantern.
I formated the card as you said and I also fully charged the battery
The firmare at the moment is 2.0.3
When i go to copy the ML.zips contents to the root cf folder it says that i do not have permission to copy this and the whole thing just cancels

Can someone help me?

Same problem here, dont have a cardreader, any help!
"Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back."

a1ex

I can sell you mine for only $500 :)

g3gg0

Quote from: gielie on October 14, 2012, 05:49:38 PM

are you sure, you are prepared for a firmware hack named Magic Lantern for >1k€ devices
if you don't even have a card reader and ask for help *here*?!
sorry, but thats a bit weird...
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

feureau

Quote from: gielie on October 14, 2012, 05:49:38 PM

No other options: You *HAVE* to use a cardreader. What are you going to do when the full ML gets released? You're gonna need that cardreader to install the ML to the card so it would load automagically!

Get a cardreader!

ilguercio

Quote from: a1ex on October 14, 2012, 05:51:06 PM
I can sell you mine for only $500 :)
I want it, but only if it bears your autograph.
8)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

FotoMaciej

Hi everyone!
Firstly, I would like to thank you g3gg0 for a piece of good work.
I know that, there is a lot of work to do for transform alpha to beta version :D

I would like to ask about "Focus Peak" feature.
When I turn it on, the "zoom window" still blinking / flashing. Is that normal?
C 7D (Magic Lantern) | C 400D (400plus mod + IR MOD) | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 | Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 | C ex430 II | Nissin 866 Mark II

g3gg0

Quote from: FotoMaciej on October 14, 2012, 07:45:48 PMI would like to ask about "Focus Peak" feature.
When I turn it on, the "zoom window" still blinking / flashing. Is that normal?

i dont get what you mean.
in LV you have zoom permanently enabled and then enable focus peaking?
please describe exactly what you pressed and what is configured.

thanks

FotoMaciej

Upps sorry, I mean Magic Zoom, not Focus Peak :D

I start LV and next I go to ML menu and enable Magic Zoom. When Magic Zoom is enabled then "zoom window" shows up on the screen and this window still blinking.
C 7D (Magic Lantern) | C 400D (400plus mod + IR MOD) | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 | Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 | C ex430 II | Nissin 866 Mark II

beej

Quote from: FotoMaciej on October 14, 2012, 08:52:52 PM
Upps sorry, I mean Magic Zoom, not Focus Peak :D

I start LV and next I go to ML menu and enable Magic Zoom. When Magic Zoom is enabled then "zoom window" shows up on the screen and this window still blinking.

Yep, this has already been covered earlier in the thread...
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3103.msg14738#msg14738

g3gg0

@video guys ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnoHwlK3m2c

is this what you expect from clean HDMI?
please understand that the resolution still is limited to 1620x1080 and thats not easy to defeat.
also the method i use to disable paintings is somewhat problematic and will not work stable.
(canon menus might crash afterwards)

FotoMaciej

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 14, 2012, 09:42:19 PM

This is the best option than nothing ;)
Good job!

thhedk

Quote from: jmalmsten on October 14, 2012, 12:21:36 PM
I tried that route too, but ended up with large pink blocks in the image.

I found out, that the white area had to be R=254 G=254 B=255 and made my own here:
http://www.thhe.dk/Magic_Lantern_7D_Crops-thhedk.zip

kirklasalle

First off I want to Thank You and the rest of the ML team for all the hard work. I was a developer in my past life and I understand, first hand, how much effort goes in this. I appreciate getting a second life out of my 7D's with some new bionic abilities.

I read in the beginning of this thread something about batteries, I don't know if I've missed any posts on this however, for me, there seems to be an issue loading ML when using third party batteries. I don't know if it's the particular brand I'm using (Premium TECH batteries, will test others soon) or if it's just the "cannot communicate" screen you have to Okay that halts the loading.

I have two 7D's and I've tried both and both were a no-go with 3rd party batteries.
Once I used a canon battery it worked flawlessly.

Thanks again for all the hard work... A donation is forthcoming coming.

thhedk

beej

Non-scientific test: With my two, cheap ebay battteries in my battery grip, ML loads ok.

cracky123456

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 14, 2012, 09:42:19 PM
@video guys ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnoHwlK3m2c

please understand that the resolution still is limited to 1620x1080 and thats not easy to defeat.
also the method i use to disable paintings is somewhat problematic and will not work stable.
(canon menus might crash afterwards)

YES ! i think this is what I expect from the HDMI.... NO red button.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D THANK YOU ! was it hard to code ?
or you just had to bypass the REC red dot paint code-lines ?

what kind of thing is limiting the resolution ? (somthing is DOWNSCALING the video  to the HDMI port ? DISABLE IT !  )
what is the meaning "canon menus crash" ? can it be fix by or recover by a simple operation ? , then its worth the crashing...
no need to rec to cards ....

BTW ! mabey a stupied question : if i dont press record , and there is no recording , after 2-3 min in LIVE VIEW the camera shout off.. right ?
so i cant really record from the hdmi port without recoring to a cf card.....
mabey you can DISABLE IT ? i mean.. no auto-power-off... it will keep output video untill i turn off the camera ?....
then , it will be a REAL "ENG" video camera..... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Dallas56

I also have cheap eBay batteries that came with a battery grip and ML works fine.

kirklasalle

Here's an image of that battery. I have two more I'll test after charging and see how that goes.

feureau

Quote from: thhedk on October 14, 2012, 10:39:42 PM
I found out, that the white area had to be R=254 G=254 B=255 and made my own here:
http://www.thhe.dk/Magic_Lantern_7D_Crops-thhedk.zip

I tried this and still sometimes get weird colors due to how PS handles color management during opening/saving. The best way I find is to convert the bitmaps to RGB (Image > mode > RGB) and edit away like any other pics.

When you're done, convert to indexed color (Image > mode > indexed color) BUT, and this is a bit but, use custom color palette (on the indexed color window, there should be a palette dropdown option: Pick custom) and you will need to use this custom ML palette file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/123918/MagicLantern/ML_ColorPalette%2BRubyScript_4_RLE_Compression_OsX.zip

You can also find it here: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Cropmarks

And save as BMP (Windows, 8-bit, and don't forget to disable RLE)

mdwhaley

2 cheap sterling tek batteries in a Polaroid battery grip on the 7d, ML works great