First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GershberG

Quote from: feureau on October 13, 2012, 03:34:13 AM
I think the problem here is that your non-original battery is one of those that doesn't have the canon chip on it.

as i said in the OP there's no battery, but external power source.
actually, it's an adapter which uses V-lock battery to power the camera (via proprietary adapter),
the external monitor and the sound recorder at the same time. the camera adapter is not chipped.
7D[ML], 60D[ML], 5Dc[ML]
8-15L, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 70-200L, 50L f:1.2

RenatoPhoto

Very good release indeed.  Have used it for a few hours, many videos, photos, a couple of batteries, five lenses, two cards, and... no bugs!  This is the first time I use some of the features in ML and they all seem to work properly. 

Only question is: Should Magic zoom flicker??  It flickers under some video sizes and works with less flickering with others.  It is very usefull but could be enven better if it did not flicker at all.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

stir fry a lot

Will Magic Zoom ever work on a 1080 external monitor?

gordoncasey

Glad I didn't support just yet ( I plan on supporting a high amount). No introvolometer? No HDR bracketing? You'll have to earn my money with a completed product. This .fir was sooo watered down. Even for an Alpha. Might as well have just been 2.0.3.

stir fry a lot

Quote from: gordoncasey on October 13, 2012, 04:50:21 AM
Glad I didn't support just yet ( I plan on supporting a high amount). No introvolometer? No HDR bracketing? You'll have to earn my money with a completed product. This .fir was sooo watered down. Even for an Alpha. Might as well have just been 2.0.3.

Go screw yourself. No one else should bother replying to this idiot to avoid cluttering the thread.

sklba

Help. I've followed the directions 3 times for the MAC version and it doesn't work for me. Camera will do the red blinking despite the download from the recommended links. The old menu style is still there, and it says on the firmware version it is installed, but nothing shows up. After I shut down, it returns to saying firmware 2.0.3 is installed. Any help?

gordoncasey

Ummm. Ok. What I said was the truth and completely warranted. I guarantee i'm going to donate waaay more than you did once the final release comes out. How does the old saying go? "Try it before you buy it"... totally my right to try it and give feedback. Although a step in the right direction. My personal opinion is that this alpha release was pre-mature. All the time it took to make the initial post could have been used to actually write code. What if I provided one of my clients with a half finished product and asked for money? I'll tell you what. I wouldn't be where I am today if I did that. As a professional "g3gg0" has to of knowns this Alpha wasn't truly ready (even as far as alphas go). I guarantee part of him knows i'm just being a devils advocate and not truly putting down his work. Without criticism we would have a half assed world.

Quote from: stir fry a lot on October 13, 2012, 04:56:29 AM
Go screw yourself. No one else should bother replying to this idiot to avoid cluttering the thread.

stir fry a lot

Quote from: sklba on October 13, 2012, 05:29:07 AM
Help. I've followed the directions 3 times for the MAC version and it doesn't work for me. Camera will do the red blinking despite the download from the recommended links. The old menu style is still there, and it says on the firmware version it is installed, but nothing shows up. After I shut down, it returns to saying firmware 2.0.3 is installed. Any help?

Have you tried pressing the Trash button to bring up the ML window? Also, you have to reupdate to ML every time you shutdown your camera.

sklba

Quote from: stir fry a lot on October 13, 2012, 06:12:43 AM
Have you tried pressing the Trash button to bring up the ML window? Also, you have to reupdate to ML every time you shutdown your camera.

No, missed that trash info part. Is that on the guide somewhere and I just missed it?

Thanks a million though!

stir fry a lot

I knew it from a previous experience with ML. It's not listed. No prob.

Jasonsilzle

This is Fantastic  ;D... I just wanted to give some feedback...

- This Alpha is working fine for me with Non OEM batteries. I'm using Wasabi (Japanese cells) and it registers fine.
- I'm using a Atomos Ninja 2 with great sucess. I do have the letterbox and less than 1920x1080 clean HDMI out but what I am getting 1600+ etc... is clean. once in a while the White focus box shows up if I push some buttons to fast then it doesn't auto clear on occasion. 'll try to replicate and then report later.

I am very excited to think maybe we could get clean HDMI out of the 7D. Is this really a possibility? (I'm not asking for a time frame just asking if it seems possible)

Thank you again!

edwmotion

Sorry, very stupid question.

How can I get to the ML menu?  :-[

........... nevermind... trash button

imacrazy

I was blown away by this software. Magic Lanterned just breathed new life into my aging 7d.  Everything is working great.  Thank you for everything. 

stir fry a lot

Quote from: imacrazy on October 13, 2012, 08:22:32 AM
I was blown away by this software. Magic Lanterned just breathed new life into my aging 7d.  Everything is working great.  Thank you for everything.

Just wait til everything gets implemented.. Once they can afford to buy the decompiling software development will really speed up too. Here's a little perspective on what your donations go towards:

QuoteThe supporter release was a big success (I've got a 5D3 in no time, also got a EOS M for Coutts, a 650D, a 500D, and we'll also get a 6D and some IDA licenses for core developers). Before, I've got a 60D in around 1.5 months, and then a 5D2 in a similar timespan - remember the thermometer on the old wiki.

So, for now, all short-term goals were funded and there's no more need to hide the download links (which, sadly, works a lot better than relying on user honesty). Of course, donations are still welcome and will be put to good use - we don't buy sports cars from them. Hopefully we'll organize some developer conferences too

a1ex

Magic Zoom usually flickers in high-FPS modes. Try changing the size or the position, it sometimes helps.

There is a way to implement it flicker-free, but at the risk of altering frame rate and introducing jitter.

Dallas56

It is obvious that it doesn't have all the features as yet but I am glad that it was released for people to try and to show that the 7D can run ML. The only things I have noticed so far that could be looked at are, magic zoom flickers on some video modes (which the menu says will happen) and the complete user guide doesn't show any info and on one occasion the camera froze and I had to reboot. I think it was a great idea to release it and increase the amount of people testing it to report any issues. g3gg0 thank you for the time you have put in to ML for the 7D  there is no doubt that no one else could crack the 7D. I am looking farward to what the next instalment will have.  :D :D :D

g3gg0

Quote from: gordoncasey on October 13, 2012, 05:53:47 AMMy personal opinion is that this alpha release was pre-mature.
read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_release_life_cycle#Alpha to understand developer terms.
Quote from: gordoncasey on October 13, 2012, 05:53:47 AMAll the time it took to make the initial post could have been used to actually write code.
if that is your position, you didnt understand anything what Magic Lantern is all about.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

stir fry a lot

So is Magic Zoom on a 1080 monitor available for other camera bodies? I'd love to see it on the 7d.

a1ex

No, in 1080p the display is already at the highest resolution, there's no extra detail that magic zoom could bring out.

On digic 4 cameras, there's not even enough CPU power to show a tiny box at that resolution without issues.

leon206

I'm really, really happy this finally happened. I'm running into a "bug" with the install on my 7d. It seems that the firmware doesn't want to stay on my camera. If I turn it off or even if it goes to sleep it reverts me back to 2.0.3. Any ideas?

stir fry a lot

You have to reflash it every time the camera turns off.

stir fry a lot

Quote from: a1ex on October 13, 2012, 09:29:33 AM
No, in 1080p the display is already at the highest resolution, there's no extra detail that magic zoom could bring out.

On digic 4 cameras, there's not even enough CPU power to show a tiny box at that resolution without issues.

Would there be any way to downscale the output resolution to make it possible? I just got it to work on my monitor by forcing it to display 480p but the resolution is pretty bad in the magic window but it's still on the verge of being useful.

a1ex

Well... this is how you can make it work.

Doesn't the monitor already zoom in? Mine has all sorts of adjustments about image size.

edwmotion

Wonder if there is no bitrate option in this alpha version?

zanty69

Thanks for your great work on 7D. I donated to you 5 min ago. GREAT JOB!