First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beej

I get a "MLDATA/FONTS.dat retry" message on boot, and while ML loads, the text on the screen displays and menus is garbled (its displayed like random noise).

I'm going to clean out the system, reflash 2.0.3, then retry ML to see if this persists...

a1ex

GershberG

Quote from: cracky123456 on October 13, 2012, 12:23:15 AM
q: i dont have the monitor the chk this , the hdmi port can send a signal without the red dot ?

even if REC/STBY notif: OFF and Global Draw disabled the red dot IS there on external HDMI.
7D[ML], 60D[ML], 5Dc[ML]
8-15L, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 70-200L, 50L f:1.2

a1ex

If you have Clear Overlays under Display menu, try that.

beej

Quote from: beej on October 13, 2012, 12:32:07 AM
I get a "MLDATA/FONTS.dat retry" message on boot, and while ML loads, the text on the screen displays and menus is garbled (its displayed like random noise).

I'm going to clean out the system, reflash 2.0.3, then retry ML to see if this persists...

Ok, I took the same download, and unpacked the zip with a different archive utility, not Mac OSX's built in archive tool, recopied to the card, and ML works fine.

So, if anybody is updating using a Mac, be aware that's it's *possible* the inbuilt zip tool might be corrupted the firmware download. I'll try again to verify this is the case and report back.

GershberG

Quote from: a1ex on October 13, 2012, 12:39:52 AM
If you have Clear Overlays under Display menu, try that.

set Clear Overlays to "always" - the red dot is still there.

BTW the grey half transparent bars on the top and the bottom are also there.
7D[ML], 60D[ML], 5Dc[ML]

bluetaurianbull

Great Work Guys!!!! well Done!!!
I will donate for sure, cant wait to have a fully feature rich ML working on my favorite 7D. Do carry on the good work!

Calomile

Had a quick play about with it before and couldn't find much to fault, shot a number of frames and videos, a few power downs etc., seems solid!

Great work guys, really excited to see what the future holds! My 5D wont be getting preferential treatment for long...

collbeanzfilms

ok, so ive played around for a bit, turned camera off, back on and the firmware has gone, is that a bug or something ive done/not done, first play with ML firmware so my apologies if I just suck :)

GershberG

having both external HDMI monitor and the AV headphones connected
Magic Zoom is not working saying it will not work with SD monitor connected.

Quote from: collbeanzfilms on October 13, 2012, 01:00:42 AM
ok, so ive played around for a bit, turned camera off, back on and the firmware has gone, is that a bug or something ive done/not done, first play with ML firmware so my apologies if I just suck :)

AFAIC for now you have to load ML manually each time 7D is powered on.
7D[ML], 60D[ML], 5Dc[ML]

ilguercio

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

What is still missing?
We can run Magic Lantern from autoexec.bin, but we still can not reliably enable the bootflag to execute it. This means, virgin cameras will only be able to run the .FIR version of ML for now. We know ways to enable the bootflag, but they would involve copyright issues. And that's something we want to avoid.

;)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

g3gg0

@collbeanzfilms:
as already wrote in release notes:
   * it is not a firmware upgrade, despite the camera saying "Firmware update program";
it is in RAM only.

@GershberG:
so you want to have a clean HDMI output without any canon graphics overlaid. right? will look into that tomorrow.
that audio thingie - is it the same with stock canon firmware, or with ML only?
can you post some details about the monitor you use?
at which resolution is it running?
do the headphones you use also feature a video out connector?

@Digital Corpus:
the level bar drawing is not 100% accurate at ~45° if you wanted to report that.
also its drawing over grid.

@beej:
i zipped it with 7zip as i thought it will produce the best output of the 3 possibilities i had.
maybe i should have used a tar.gz ;)

thanks for feedback, guys
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

collbeanzfilms

sorry... excuse my lack of knowledge on this, so that means you can't turn the camera off then back on and still use the firmware? or am i missing something? thanks for the replies...

ilguercio

Quote from: collbeanzfilms on October 13, 2012, 01:16:05 AM
sorry... excuse my lack of knowledge on this, so that means you can't turn the camera off then back on and still use the firmware? or am i missing something? thanks for the replies...
Yes, unlike other cameras, on the 7D you have to run the firmware upgrade each time you turn on the camera.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

collbeanzfilms

thank you!

Quote from: ilguercio on October 13, 2012, 01:17:32 AM
Yes, unlike other cameras, on the 7D you have to run the firmware upgrade each time you turn on the camera.

cracky123456

* it is not a firmware upgrade, despite the camera saying "Firmware update program";
it is in RAM only.

*** i think its better to keep it this way... no ? .. its safer this way , without risk of deleting autoexec , ot a camera lock-up risk.....
in the other ml vers you need to remove it from the card and then from the camera . you can brick it if you are not doing it good...

in this ml ver, it seems simple and safe.. ( or i am wrong ? )

@GershberG:
so you want to have a clean HDMI output without any canon graphics overlaid. right? will look into that tomorrow.

*** YES ! WE ALL WANT....in this way we can record our movies to an hdmi recorder and not the the CF card...
(the hdmi is uncompreesed signal?)

g3gg0

this is *no* firmware upgrade. Magic Lantern is "executed" by running the "firmware updater" with the 7D..._ML.FIR.
it stays actvie until the camera powers off. no matter if this is via power switch, via card door or via powersave.

as this is an early test version, not meant for productional use, but for testing, we chose the safest way, right.

autoexec.bin versions will come when it is safe to use and we found a way that does not raise any legal issues.
it will be announced in this forum when it's time.

@cracky123456:
we know that ;)
but let us first make Magic Lantern safe and stable before we start to tweak the maximum out of digic registers.
we have ideas and concepts. but they will be released when its time.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

GershberG

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 13, 2012, 01:12:05 AM
that audio thingie - is it the same with stock canon firmware, or with ML only?
can you post some details about the monitor you use?
at which resolution is it running?
do the headphones you use also feature a video out connector?

1. no, with the stock Canon FW there's no real time sound monitoring on REC/STBY at all.
2. using Coolcd HD2 7" (Lilliput 800X480 matrix).
3. monitor shows 480p resolution
4. the headphones are connected to the modified Canon AV/USB cable with sound output only.

BTW the same setup works with my 60D, so this is what I'm comparing to.
7D[ML], 60D[ML], 5Dc[ML]

ilguercio

It doesn't have anything to do with bricking, you can theoretically brick your camera with this release too.
The only difference is the bootflag.
Since it isn't set, you can't load the autoexec automatically at each camera startup. Everything is the same. It is not a free choice, not completely.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

g3gg0

Quote from: GershberG on October 13, 2012, 01:29:08 AM
1. no, with the stock Canon FW there's no real time sound monitoring on REC/STBY at all.
2. using Coolcd HD2 7" (Lilliput 800X480 matrix).
3. monitor shows 480p resolution
4. the headphones are connected to the modified Canon AV/USB cable with sound output only.

BTW the same setup works with my 60D, so this is what I'm comparing to.

thanks, these are important infos.
this means we probably will have to override some properties.
except the MZ that is complaining - this might be solvable.

g3gg0

Quote from: GershberG on October 13, 2012, 12:37:41 AM
even if REC/STBY notif: OFF and Global Draw disabled the red dot IS there on external HDMI.

maybe setting canon's BMP palette to all-transparent will kill any BMP output.
so you would have clean HDMI output with the 7D's default resolution.
(no, no full-HD while recording yet)
i will check that the next days.

stir fry a lot

Quote from: collbeanzfilms on October 13, 2012, 01:00:42 AM

All you have to do is run the update again (the .fir file is still present). It stays on the memory card so it's just a couple seconds out of your shoot if you lose it.

davejazzysam

you are crazy,
are the best,

I hope soon the final release,

I can only say something in canon are stupid, they will need you to work for them

but of course, it is obvious that all these features would never in a camera virgin, would cost thousands more dollars

thank you very much
Greetings from Cuba!

beej

Quote from: davejazzysam on October 13, 2012, 02:20:22 AMI formatted compact flash memory in the camera, if I do that I will lose ML files?

Giuys - please actually *read* the instructions at the top of the thread, rather than asking questions already answered.

Known issues:
* Formatting the card will also remove Magic Lantern files

feureau

Quote from: GershberG on October 12, 2012, 11:57:29 PM
2nd, I'm able to run ML with an original battery only.
when the camera is powered from external power source there's a "cannot communicate with battery"
message after loading the FW and the ML is not loaded.

I tried this with a non-original battery, and it works just fine. (you need to have the battery charged, though, firmware update won't run on low battery)

I think the problem here is that your non-original battery is one of those that doesn't have the canon chip on it. The ones that doesn't have a serial number and couldn't be registered with the body, is it not? Mine is one of the newer ones with the chip that the body recognizes as an original canon battery.