arrinkiiii

feureau

I wonder if it works...

*rubs hands*

g3gg0

thanks binky38, thanks beej!
that is a workaround for the problem.
its not a "real fix" yet.
but at least we now have a chance to recover from that problem :)

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/a41c7bfa3f83533b80ab03eeaffa638b117ab0ec

Quote from: beej on December 03, 2012, 09:57:20 PM
Good spot. Confirmed. I also tried this in manual focus mode, with back button focusing, to take focusing out of the equation.

This would suggest, as per my earlier hunch, that the issue is caused in the metering/exposure calculation stage.

Now, in Manual mode, the camera's metering/exposure calculation isn't contributing the final picture exposure, but there is metering and exposure calculating going on to determine where the exposure needle is going to be displayed (indicating possible under/over exposure with your settings).

So - I then changed the camera's half press from "Metering" to "AF Lock", to remove metering from the shutter button.

So, to break it down:
- I can turn the camera on, settings as above, with EOS utility running and metering taken off the shutter button
- take a photo (from EOS Utility)
- open the card door
- camera hangs.

- Close the card door
- half press on the camera (some metering is still done as the exposure needle is displayed)
- open the card door
- the camera still hangs.

- Close the card door
- Half press (ie mouseover) on the EOS utility shutter button
- open the card door
- The camera shuts down ok.
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

RenatoPhoto

http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

g3gg0

magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

_iLiam

Literally been checking this topic every hour in anticipation! Amazing work guys well done for the discoveries  :D
| Canon 5D | Canon7D | 85mm f1.2 | 18-135mm | 50mm f1.8 | 70-200 f4 | 28mm f2.8 |
www.liamnewman.co.uk

SonicScot

Quote from: _iLiam on December 04, 2012, 11:42:49 PM
Literally been checking this topic every hour in anticipation! Amazing work guys well done for the discoveries  :D
That makes two of us  ;D
5D Mark ll with ML 2.3
7D with ML Alpha2
Couple of L lenses and lots of old, manual lenses.

beej

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 04, 2012, 09:37:11 PM

Yeah, good news, it's a step towards understanding what's going on and therefore what the proper fix would be.

I guess the thing to do is to look at what the code is doing in that specific instance, and try to determine which bits of code is responsible for the issue - once you have that, understanding what is going on should hopefully lead to a proper fix. But you know what you're doing with this, I'm sure! ;)

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 04, 2012, 09:37:11 PMbut at least we now have a chance to recover from that problem :)

Indeed!

inky38

https://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/commits/a41c7bfa3f83533b80ab03eeaffa638b117ab0ec

Thanks g3gg0 glad I could help out in a very small way. Can't wait for Alpha 2  :D

You and the rest of the ML team deserve all of the credit you get.

Keep up the good work

kenb129

I finally decided to play around with the release since I just got a manual lens.  I was trying the focus peaking, which is works great, but when I review a photo and hit the button to zoom in it would immediately zoom in all the way instead of incrementally.  It is reproducible every time I try it.  Is this intentional or just something not quite right?

feureau

Awesome. Btw, someone should notify canon of this weird bug... Someone from ML should have the honor. :3

Looking forward to Alpha 2!

beej

Quote from: kenb129 on December 05, 2012, 06:53:53 PM
when I review a photo and hit the button to zoom in it would immediately zoom in all the way instead of incrementally.  It is reproducible every time I try it.  Is this intentional or just something not quite right?

This is a feature, not a bug :)
It enables you to check critical focus quickly, which is what it is intended for.

"Zoom In: quick image magnification: a single click can zoom all the way in, on center point, on AF point etc (configurable)."

Prefs -> Image Review Settings...

"Quick Zoom

Faster zoom in PLAY mode, for checking critical focus:

OFF
ON - zooms faster than Canon firmware.
SinglePress → 100%: a single press of Zoom In will zoom all the way in (to 100%) - on center point. Next press will zoom out (full screen image).
Full zoom on AF point: similar, but it will zoom on currently selected autofocus point.
Full zoom on last position: similar, but it will remember the last position of the zoom box."

Do read the documentation when playing and learning ML, there is a lot of stuff in there...

kenb129

Quote from: beej on December 05, 2012, 07:08:12 PM

Do read the documentation when playing and learning ML, there is a lot of stuff in there...

Point taken, can't wait to dig into it.

nanomad

Quote from: feureau on December 05, 2012, 06:59:31 PM
Awesome. Btw, someone should notify canon of this weird bug... Someone from ML should have the honor. :3

Looking forward to Alpha 2!

Does the bug happen without ml too? If so, yes, we should notify Canon ASAP
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

beej

Quote from: nanomad on December 05, 2012, 11:58:37 PM
Does the bug happen without ml too? If so, yes, we should notify Canon ASAP

Yes, all of the basic testing with this bug from us non-developers were done without ML loaded.

g3gg0

correct. we need somebody who will care for such things and contact canon developers (somehow) directly.

feureau

So, uh.. has anyone contacted Canon yet? If nobody tried to get in touch with their devs yet, I'll go ahead and find out how to do it and do it.

Also, did the workaround work for ML?

nanomad

We may have another bug report for Canon too (not on the 7D). I'll start a discussion in the appropriate place. Thanks for reporting
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

overlimit

any news? tks for the hard work ;)

g3gg0

i am currently running stability tests and cleaning up stuff i prepared for alpha 2.
expect the alpha 2 to arrive on xmas or before if there isnt any show stopper like the last time ;)

7Denver

You are my Christmas hero g3gg0!  Thank you for continuing to work out Alpha 2

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 10, 2012, 01:34:21 AM
i am currently running stability tests and cleaning up stuff i prepared for alpha 2.
expect the alpha 2 to arrive on xmas or before if there isnt any show stopper like the last time ;)

Hooray! \o/ Thanks, G3gg0!

Also:

Quote from: nanomad on December 06, 2012, 09:14:23 PM
We may have another bug report for Canon too (not on the 7D). I'll start a discussion in the appropriate place. Thanks for reporting

Has anyone reported this to canon yet. And where's the discussion (and the other bug to report) btw? Can't seem to find it.

beej

Nice!  8)

thni

Good Work g3gg0 !

adamtoms

wahoo!! cheers g3gg0 ;D cant wait!