First 7D alpha released!

Started by g3gg0, October 12, 2012, 10:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAKOF

I've never posted on a forum lime this before...

First off, you guys rock. For someone who knows nothing about what you guys do, to me you seem like magicians. Filming on DSLRs is how I make a living, and I will definitely be donating.

My results:
-I have used a 3rd party photix battery successfully when fully charged
-I'm noticing that focus peaking does not work as well at high ISOs, I'm guessing it's picking up the noise as being in focus
-When in the ML menu, pressing the (-) button exits the menu, that's nice, but pressing the (+) button create a strange hybrid of the ML menu and the LV images where only the currently selected ML menu item is overlaying the screen
-When i turn on 16x9 crop so it blacks out the bottom of the screen where the waveform and histograms are, it every-so-often switches back and forth to blue and then black

g3gg0---would it be within your magical powers to enable FULL 1080p HD clean out on this or any camera (if not 7d then what about the 5DMK3?) TO be useful to most of us, it would need to be without sacrificing resolution. If its not possible, what about an improved codec for recording? Maybe mimic the All-I flavor of h.264 available on some of the newer cameras? Any of these would make Magic Lantern not just useful, but a necessity for anyone serious about filming at a professional level. A lot of broadcast acquisition standards mandate a MINIMUM of 50mbps acquisition codec. If you can push the cameras above that limit, it would be a big deal.

It would be worth charging $50 just for that feature. People would buy. Not saying that's how you guys roll, but you could....considering the feature would be most useful to professionals making money from these cameras and maybe some of the most serious basement filmmakers.

RM22

Quote from: kirklasalle on October 15, 2012, 01:18:00 AM
Here's an image of that battery. I have two more I'll test after charging and see how that goes.

The problem is not that it's a third-party battery, the problem is that the battery is not chipped. I have 2 non-chipped batteries, and like yours, it needs to be charged with the charger that came with the batteries because they won't charge on the Canon charger. Non-chipped batteries will not work with this alpha 7D ML release.

It's not that the batteries don't have enough power, it's that the battery check breaks the 7D boot process (or something, I don't know the technical details.)

edit: I do have 2 genuine batteries from a 7D and 5D2 and I also have 6 other batteries that are chipped, along with 2 that are not chipped. I didn't know about the chips when I bought the non-chipped batteries.

gielie

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 14, 2012, 06:26:44 PM
are you sure, you are prepared for a firmware hack named Magic Lantern for >1k€ devices
if you don't even have a card reader and ask for help *here*?!
sorry, but thats a bit weird...

Why would i ever needed a card reader when i can connect my camera straight to my computer?
You could have answered like this "the only way to get ML on your CF card is with a card reader"
Is this the way you reply to supporters? Go F*** yourself
"Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back."

gielie

Quote from: feureau on October 14, 2012, 07:15:51 PM
No other options: You *HAVE* to use a cardreader. What are you going to do when the full ML gets released? You're gonna need that cardreader to install the ML to the card so it would load automagically!

Get a cardreader!

Ok, didn't know that, will buy one straight away, tnks for the reply
"Death smiles at us all. All a man can do is smile back."

a1ex

Your question was already answered before you have asked for help. Your donation does not create any obligation for us, by definition (it's called donation, not payment), you don't get the right to insult any developers, and you are still expected to read the instructions.

Would you like a full ban as a supporter gift?

rock soderstrom

Hello, just for your information, the download link for the alpha seems to be broken!

Thanks a lot for your work and keep on rockin´

Best regards

RM22

Quote from: gielie on October 15, 2012, 11:08:17 AM
Why would i ever needed a card reader when i can connect my camera straight to my computer?
You could have answered like this "the only way to get ML on your CF card is with a card reader"

With a lot of newer devices and operating systems, connect a DSLR, tablet, or phone to your computer may allow you to transfer media files only. Not only that, but you are not usually allowed to copy to device, only from device. ML has gotten much easier to install so it's hardly worth complaining about needing a card reader.

You should support developers for their work, not for a sense of entitlement. If you were offended by the response you received, the internet is not for you. I've been following ML for some time and anyone that has been anticipating a 7D release is probably in the same boat. By this point, most people realize a card reader is needed. It's nothing new.
Quote from: rock soderstrom on October 15, 2012, 12:16:41 PM
Hello, just for your information, the download link for the alpha seems to be broken!

Thanks a lot for your work and keep on rockin´

Best regards

Just tested it. It's working. Refresh and give it another go.

g3gg0

Quote from: cracky123456 on October 15, 2012, 12:54:44 AM
YES ! i think this is what I expect from the HDMI.... NO red button.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D THANK YOU ! was it hard to code ?
or you just had to bypass the REC red dot paint code-lines ?
i permanently disable overlay painting engine using canons developer commands.
this has some downsides, but together with alex we found a much cleaner solution by making the palette just transparent.
its not tested fully yet, but should have far fewer side effects.

what kind of thing is limiting the resolution ? (somthing is DOWNSCALING the video  to the HDMI port ? DISABLE IT !  )
i've already answered that even before you asked ;)
Quote from: g3gg0 on October 14, 2012, 09:42:19 PM
please understand that the resolution still is limited to 1620x1080 and thats not easy to defeat.
and if it were that easy, believe me - i would have "disabled" that feature.
(btw its not just about disabling a feature, but to reconfigure all the undocumented DIGiC hardware registers)

what is the meaning "canon menus crash" ? can it be fix by or recover by a simple operation ? , then its worth the crashing...
no need to rec to cards ....
fixed by restarting the camera after removing battery

BTW ! mabey a stupied question : if i dont press record , and there is no recording , after 2-3 min in LIVE VIEW the camera shout off.. right ?
so i cant really record from the hdmi port without recoring to a cf card.....
mabey you can DISABLE IT ? i mean.. no auto-power-off... it will keep output video untill i turn off the camera ?....
i will have a look into that issue. maybe i find some way to do that.
but for now i think its ok to record on CF - what are the advantages you would see with that feature?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

g3gg0

Quote from: LAKOF on October 15, 2012, 02:19:32 AM
I've never posted on a forum lime this before...

First off, you guys rock. For someone who knows nothing about what you guys do, to me you seem like magicians. Filming on DSLRs is how I make a living, and I will definitely be donating.

My results:
-I have used a 3rd party photix battery successfully when fully charged
-I'm noticing that focus peaking does not work as well at high ISOs, I'm guessing it's picking up the noise as being in focus
-When in the ML menu, pressing the (-) button exits the menu, that's nice, but pressing the (+) button create a strange hybrid of the ML menu and the LV images where only the currently selected ML menu item is overlaying the screen
-When i turn on 16x9 crop so it blacks out the bottom of the screen where the waveform and histograms are, it every-so-often switches back and forth to blue and then black

g3gg0---would it be within your magical powers to enable FULL 1080p HD clean out on this or any camera (if not 7d then what about the 5DMK3?) TO be useful to most of us, it would need to be without sacrificing resolution. If its not possible, what about an improved codec for recording? Maybe mimic the All-I flavor of h.264 available on some of the newer cameras? Any of these would make Magic Lantern not just useful, but a necessity for anyone serious about filming at a professional level. A lot of broadcast acquisition standards mandate a MINIMUM of 50mbps acquisition codec. If you can push the cameras above that limit, it would be a big deal.

It would be worth charging $50 just for that feature. People would buy. Not saying that's how you guys roll, but you could....considering the feature would be most useful to professionals making money from these cameras and maybe some of the most serious basement filmmakers.

thanks for your feedback.
ISO noise: yes, this might be. will check it. tried to change focus peaking to mode (via Q)? maybe it helps in that situation
ML menu: maybe thats the menu feature where you can change the option using scroll wheel. if so, thats intended. i will check that when im at home.
Blue blinking: Known, alex called this "a feature" ;) its okay, dont let you confuse by that.
All-I: could be possible. will be checked as soon MovRecState is being investigated.
other codecs: no. codec is a hardware implementation
FULL HDMI:
answered before and this applies to any camera:
Quote from: g3gg0 on October 14, 2012, 09:42:19 PM
please understand that the resolution still is limited to 1620x1080 and thats not easy to defeat.
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]

g3gg0

Quote from: rock soderstrom on October 15, 2012, 12:16:41 PM
thanks, but just checked the DL link, seems to work fine.
and according to DL counter (>3k) it never disappeared.
try to use the DL link without the S in HTTPS maybe its your proxy/browser?

rock soderstrom

Thanks RM22 for your testing! But it is still broken, I habe checked it with 3 computers, still no success...probably a problem with
our firewall???

Ok, I will test the HTTPS thingy  8)

rock soderstrom

Nope, no dowload for me!   :'(

This is the link I have used: http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-7D.203.Alpha1.zip

I will ask our administrators. It seems to be a local problem. Thanks again!

g3gg0

Quote from: rock soderstrom on October 15, 2012, 01:12:16 PM
Nope, no dowload for me!   :'(

This is the link I have used: http://bitbucket.org/hudson/magic-lantern/downloads/magiclantern-7D.203.Alpha1.zip

I will ask our administrators. It seems to be a local problem. Thanks again!

it looks like bitbucket.org is forbidden in your network or some nameserver issue. whatever.
temporary workaround:
http://upload.g3gg0.de/pub_files/555516d18b253314d5255e24b48e9eba/magiclantern-7D_203_Alpha1%5B1%5D.zip

edit:
hehe, alex was faster. but in case dropbox is forbidden too (as here in my network)

rock soderstrom

Yep, now it works!  :D

Thanks a lot! Vielen Dank!

Pshots

Hopefully you can release the new version with the HDR features as soon as possible..  :-[ can`t wait till it will be available... This is on my priority list on the top !!! ;)

feureau

Quote from: LAKOF on October 15, 2012, 02:19:32 AM

The blue denotes crushed black, if you overexpose, you will find some reds when the bar is black: It denotes highlight clipping. This is the zebra feature, switch it to other modes to see other types of zebras.

ivanchang

i canot update alpha firmware :-\

nanomad

Provide a bit of context please, we are not magician yet ....  ::)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

g3gg0

Quote from: nanomad on October 15, 2012, 03:21:51 PM
Provide a bit of context please, we are not magician yet ....  ::)

nooooooooooo :D
not "a bit", but at least 200 characters ;)

cracky123456

Quote from: g3gg0 on October 15, 2012, 12:45:26 PM

i will have a look into that issue. maybe i find some way to do that.
but for now i think its ok to record on CF - what are the advantages you would see with that feature?

thank you for the replay !
man , if i knew to code in"c" lang , i would LOVE to help you guys ( i know only basic, and pcboard ppe  ??? hehehe )

about the the ENG .. theres a lot of HDMI recorders , and if we can record a/v to it , then we can use the dslr several ways :
1) EVENTS - WEDDING.. use it as an eng camera . shoot entire event with a lagre sensor camera.
2) GREEN SCREEN PRODUCTIONS - no need the come to the camera and start it again after auto-power-shot-down
3) NEWS - press REC anytime somthing happends ( A BOMB ? )

and meny uses for the ENG cameras this days.....
the only prob is that the sensor may overheat.....

ANYWAY , as allways.... thank you very very much , we all know the you are straggeling and working hard on the ML.... :-*

newjerseypete

Quote from: gielie on October 15, 2012, 11:08:17 AM

Before you run out and purchase a nice Lexar Card Reader, there is a good chance you may have a printer that has a CF reader built in that you've never used.  I ALWAYS forget that my networked Pixma printer in the upstairs bedroom has networked card readers in it.  I too do not own a card reader and didn't realize that I would need one for Magic Lantern.

ivanchang

My camera firmware 2.03

use Original battery

I update sequence is as follows

1.Update camera firmware to 2.0.3 again

2.Format my CF card

3.Remove CF card

4.copy alpha 1 firmware to  CF Card

5.Update firmware to 7D000203_ML.FIR

but my camera  canot loading alpha 1 firmware

Is still the old firmware :'(

why??

Pelican

Use a chipped battery!
Read the previous posts in this thread.
EOS 7D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS 5, EOS 100 + lenses (10mm to 300mm), 600EX, 550EX, YN600EX x 3
EOScard, EOS DSLR firmwares, ARMu, NiControl, etc.: http://pel.hu/down

ivanchang