Nightly Builds - try the very latest stuff here

Started by a1ex, October 11, 2012, 01:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stoopkid

Build  2014-01-26 17:23:15 -0800 on 550D crashes when trying to "Q" in to Vignetting options, battery has to be removed. However everything is fine if I just switch Vignetting on. I don't know what build I was on last, but it worked maybe some time in Nov or Dec.

Thanks.

rsmith02

Quote from: hardmaninc on January 27, 2014, 05:19:01 PM

So in the audio setting which do I turn up and which do I turn down ? sorry

Thanks

If you have the Rode VideoMicPro, turn the settings on the back to +20 and turn down the audio gain on the Canon or the ML menu. If you have the VideoMic, it doesn't have +20 so you'll need somewhat higher gain set on the camera to get usable audio. That means more hiss.

http://www.lockergnome.com/news/2012/09/20/how-to-use-a-rode-videomic-pro-with-a-canon-t3i/

mattH

No no 7D then?   :'(

Just joined today on the promise of ML for the 7D. 

Sorry - not a coder.  Unable to assist in that side of it.

a1ex

No, and I don't see any signs of improvement. I'm very sad to see most key people ignoring this problem and I'm thinking seriously about quitting ML development because of this.

tron

I cannot understand why you do not leave the older ML versions for people to download. Even an older nightly build is better than nothing for cameras like 7D, 6D etc...

I hope you do NOT mean quitting the WHOLE ML development for that. It would be a PITY!
True not many write code but at least some of us test the builds and report back.

tron

Some suggestions: ML 5D series part may skyrocket if: 5D3 supported both: boot flag clearing and latest firmware. Just my personal opinion though (I ADMIT) and you have answered that already (at least the boot flag issue).

a1ex

I've stopped commiting in the last 2 months hoping people will become aware of the problem and will do something to improve it. With the exception of 50D, there was no real progress in merging back the code from TL; they keep moving away from the main line, they take all the cool stuff from ML without giving anything back, and I can't solve it alone.

I don't want to dictate what others should do, so I'll only decide what I should do. I just can't continue like that, sorry.

tron

So there is still the 5Dx family and the 50D. It would be a pity to leave us. You know people believe in ML.

VisualPursuit

Thanks to Chris_overseas there is major advancement in support of the
current 1.2.3 firmware of the 5D3, a milestone in my eyes.

I am pretty confident that the boot flag issue can be solved as well,
and that the support of 1.2.3 will definitely bring in more people testing.

This in turn might bring a boost of interest and consequently attract more
developers.

Rumors about the death of ML are highly exaggerated, to say it this way.

ayshih

Quote from: stoopkid on January 28, 2014, 02:21:02 AM
Build  2014-01-26 17:23:15 -0800 on 550D crashes when trying to "Q" in to Vignetting options, battery has to be removed. However everything is fine if I just switch Vignetting on. I don't know what build I was on last, but it worked maybe some time in Nov or Dec.

Thanks.

This bug has been fixed as of tonight's nightly build (e.g., magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Jan29.550D109.zip).  You can test and confirm this on your end.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

dafreaking

Quote from: hardmaninc on January 27, 2014, 05:19:01 PM

So in the audio setting which do I turn up and which do I turn down ? sorry

Thanks

I use the VideoMic (not pro) with the T3i/600D too. I was using one of the nightlies from end December but that would result in the camera heating up a lot. I switched to an older (September end) nightly and the temps are under control.

Stedda

Quote from: VisualPursuit on January 29, 2014, 04:34:54 AM
Rumors about the death of ML are highly exaggerated, to say it this way.

It's not a rumor when one of two main developers says it.

Alex, if this is your site why not stop allowing support or distribution for anything TL related on the forum. Flush it out.

I wouldn't even use ML if it wasnt for you or g3gg0.

I understand it's open source but as long as it's here it will always be confused with the main ML build. Especially since people are ignoring your warnings and bricked cameras are starting to show up.

5D Mark III -- 7D   SOLD -- EOS M 22mm 18-55mm STM -- Fuji X-T1 18-55 F2.8-F4 & 35 F1.4
Canon Glass   100L F2.8 IS -- 70-200L F4 -- 135L F2 -- 85 F1.8 -- 17-40L --  40 F2.8 -- 35 F2 IS  Sigma Glass  120-300 F2.8 OS -- 50 F1.4 -- 85 F1.4  Tamron Glass   24-70 2.8 VC   600EX-RT X3

poromaa

Quote from: a1ex on January 28, 2014, 08:31:51 PM
I don't want to dictate what others should do, so I'll only decide what I should do. I just can't continue like that, sorry.

I think you do the right thing not dictating (not much for regulation), however, is there anything one can contribute with, other than programming? I mean, would money solve anything?
  Maybe one could start a tip-jar for people working with the unified ML-branch? Maybe a simple list with things/functions that need to be unified before new features, and a tip-jar for it. Could that encourage people to do some "boring" programming for the sake of the ML-project?

tron

Quote from: VisualPursuit on January 29, 2014, 04:34:54 AM
Thanks to Chris_overseas there is major advancement in support of the
current 1.2.3 firmware of the 5D3, a milestone in my eyes.

I am pretty confident that the boot flag issue can be solved as well,
and that the support of 1.2.3 will definitely bring in more people testing.

This in turn might bring a boost of interest and consequently attract more
developers.
+1000

These are the improvements I am waiting for to put ML to my 5D3.

But while waiting I refuse to upgrade my 5D2, the sole reason being using and testing ML on this.

tron

Quote from: Stedda on January 29, 2014, 03:48:27 PM
It's not a rumor when one of two main developers says it.

Alex, if this is your site why not stop allowing support or distribution for anything TL related on the forum. Flush it out.

I wouldn't even use ML if it wasnt for you or g3gg0.

I understand it's open source but as long as it's here it will always be confused with the main ML build. Especially since people are ignoring your warnings and bricked cameras are starting to show up.
To tell the truth the very thought had crossed my mind but I was reluctant to suggest it. I would feel comfortable with this though. Code for the current and future (if any) modules could be stopped being free and just distributed between a couple of trusting developers from now on for example.  We (users) can always test the nightly builds...

VisualPursuit

Regarding the advancements by Chris_overseas - can someone please
setup a new platform branch in the nightlies for 5D3-1.2.3?

I know it is far from even being Alpha, but I am willing to give it a shot.
The thing is just that I am too far away from programming to complie it myself.

I can offer to risk my camera and to test.

Audionut

It will be setup when the pull request is merged into the mainline.

Compiling is easy if you're willing!

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on January 28, 2014, 06:38:39 PM
No, and I don't see any signs of improvement. I'm very sad to see most key people ignoring this problem and I'm thinking seriously about quitting ML development because of this.

Ignoring and being unable to do anything about it are two different things. I cannot find the words to praise alex' terrific contribution to ml, but the way oss works this is not the first time the forking problem occurs :-\

All I can say is that I've said my piece on this more than one time & tried to nudge the current TL maintainer into seeing how this might end, despite the fact that of course he's also sharing his TL work with current 6d owners and deserves to be thanked for that.

Quote from: Stedda on January 29, 2014, 03:48:27 PM
Alex, if this is your site why not stop allowing support or distribution for anything TL related on the forum.

I could understand this, and probably even the current TL maintainer would, the confusion caused by this is reason enough to separate a permanent fork from the ml main line. But as 1% says publicly in his last commit things might change yet: https://bitbucket.org/OtherOnePercent/tragic-lantern-6d/commits/a40939b7d8e0d155ca99ce539903ced815933020

Personally, I'm willing to switch back to ML the instant some basic ml 6d maintenance is found (I don't have the time). The buggyness should then be comparable with the TL level, i.e. the most important (raw) features work more or less and there's some basic commit stability check like 1% does ... as I already admitted to alex, I barely have time to *use* my 6d & just cannot cannot debug it :-o

a1ex

Sounds like a huge step in the right direction. Also, Nanomad did great progress in cleaning up TL code and merging it back to ML (look at latest commits).

FotosbyMike

I don't want to enable to boot flag on my 5D3 and I don't really care about RAW video but I would like to install nightly builds to have some more options. Can I use the 5D300113.FIR file from the Alpha build and the ML folder from a nightly build like, magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2014Jan29.5D3113? Thanks a lot.

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

FNJ

Hi there,
i just installed the latest nightly build for my canon 5d2, but now it says FONTS.DAT not found during installation.
I used an older build without any problems. Am I doing something wrong?
I copied the magic lantern v.2.3 - 5d2-212.fr (correct firmware on 5d2) and the ML folder and autoexec.bin file from v.2.3.NEXT.2014FEB02.5D2212 to my CF Card.

I look forward to an assistance...

Thanks Guys!

nanomad

You don't need to run the installer each time you upgrade the nightly build....
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

FNJ