Nightly Builds - try the very latest stuff here

Started by a1ex, October 11, 2012, 01:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

Quote from: llirik on January 18, 2014, 02:24:06 AM
I'm using the August 20- something build and came on here and I see mentions of an October build... but looking at the drive change log doc it's all voodoo code talk that I don't understand and I'm not sure how to see what the difference would be between the 5 month old build I'm using and something more recent.
Why don't you just try the latest build and see for yourself what's changed? If you can't understand the changelog, then there's nothing we can really do to explain it to you better. If there are major new features, they will popup in the forum. Bugs get fixed quite frequently, so there's no reason not to stay up to date.

cyperlolly

Hi, I´m very new on this forum  ;D
I´m interested to work with ML. My camera, a 700D is brand new and I have installed the nightly Build 18.1.2014. I shot some raw video files and convert it in dng files with raw2dng.exe.
My problem is - I have in the middle of each dng frame pixel lines with pseudocolour and I want to know is that a problem of the camera chip or a bug of ML raw video? For better understanding I will post a picture.
It would by fine, if I get a feedback.

http://abload.de/image.php?img=test8okhu.jpg

edit: camera is ok, all pictures ok. J found a topic "PinkDotRemover Tool" that explains my problem, thanks.
Canon 700D - EF-S 18-55 mm IS STM | Canon HV30 HD Camcorder

budafilms

Quote from: cyperlolly on January 18, 2014, 09:22:56 AM
Hi, I´m very new on this forum  ;D
I´m interested to work with ML. My camera, a 700D is brand new and I have installed the nightly Build 18.1.2014. I shot some raw video files and convert it in dng files with raw2dng.exe.
My problem is - I have in the middle of each dng frame pixel lines with pseudocolour and I want to know is that a problem of the camera chip or a bug of ML raw video? For better understanding I will post a picture.
It would by fine, if I get a feedback.

http://abload.de/image.php?img=test8okhu.jpg
For test your camera try an standard picture, as JPG or RAW. And h264! If that works, start with the last build for your camera, with the settings recommended for debs.

davidcl0nel

@ayshih: Thanks for your reply.
The 60D hast no AF configuration, that is one missing feature to the 50D, propably to make a bigger difference to the 7D at this time.

I use the 70-200 IS II.

I tried it again, the values in the original Canon menu are the same as in the DotTune module menu, vice versa - so this works.
I tried with -20 to 20 manual and with the option "all lenses" instead of "this lens" - this seems to be the problem. "all lens"es works fine. There might be a problem, that its a zoom lens? In the Canon menu I got two values W and T (Wide and Tele it seems), but the one value in the DotTune module seems to stores to both settings (propably ok), but I again get these problems, that I even get at -100 and +100 a focus indication.
Anyway, no matter... I can use the "all lens" option and remember the values at 70mm and 200mm (and other lenses) and can store these manually with the original Canon menu. It is a big hit.... but "unfortunately" my 70-200 after the test want to set a "0" value - and this seems ok - because this lens IS very sharp - i never had problems with it. ;-)
60D & 5D3

ayshih

Quote from: davidcl0nel on January 18, 2014, 01:04:36 PM
@ayshih: Thanks for your reply.
The 60D hast no AF configuration, that is one missing feature to the 50D, propably to make a bigger difference to the 7D at this time.

I use the 70-200 IS II.

I tried it again, the values in the original Canon menu are the same as in the DotTune module menu, vice versa - so this works.
I tried with -20 to 20 manual and with the option "all lenses" instead of "this lens" - this seems to be the problem. "all lens"es works fine. There might be a problem, that its a zoom lens? In the Canon menu I got two values W and T (Wide and Tele it seems), but the one value in the DotTune module seems to stores to both settings (propably ok), but I again get these problems, that I even get at -100 and +100 a focus indication.
Anyway, no matter... I can use the "all lens" option and remember the values at 70mm and 200mm (and other lenses) and can store these manually with the original Canon menu. It is a big hit.... but "unfortunately" my 70-200 after the test want to set a "0" value - and this seems ok - because this lens IS very sharp - i never had problems with it. ;-)

Ah, yes, I forgot that AFMA is missing from the 60D.  It sounds like your specific lens has not been registered in your camera in the way that initializes everything properly for the DotTune module.  See these posts from the DotTune thread:

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4648.msg29451#msg29451
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4648.msg29772#msg29772

How about, using "this lens", try first setting arbitrary AFMA values to W and T, different from each other, and then trying the DotTune module again.

Regardless, this is not an issue specific to the nightly builds, so further discussion should probably move to the DotTune thread.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

tron

hello, I am using ML with 5D2. Sometime between Jan 11 and Jan 18 the temperature display was messed.
Instead of the temperature in C and F a 3 digit value is displayed like: 144 raw

ayshih

Quote from: tron on January 19, 2014, 04:27:32 AM
hello, I am using ML with 5D2. Sometime between Jan 11 and Jan 18 the temperature display was messed.
Instead of the temperature in C and F a 3 digit value is displayed like: 144 raw

There's been a recent push to confirm that the temperatures were being accurately converted from the raw value for each camera, and cameras for which calibration data were not taken yet were reverted to display just the raw values for temperature.  See this thread for more information.  Temperature measurements for the 5D Mark II were just provided yesterday, so I imagine you'll have human-readable temperatures again in the nightly builds in the near future.
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

escho

Quote from: tron on January 19, 2014, 04:27:32 AM

Should be back in next nightly.

Edgar
https://sternenkarten.com/
600D, 6D, openSUSE Tumbleweed

tron

a1ex

Nanomad just did a very fine job and integrated the feature matrix into the nightly builds page:

http://builds.magiclantern.fm/#/features

gary2013

why is the eosm missing from the nightly builds of ML?

a1ex

Because there was no real progress in bringing it up to date and merging the code from TL (same with 7D), so we have disabled these builds again. This time it was no longer my decision.

Sorry, a promise is not enough.

On the upside, 1100D builds are back thanks to dmilligan, and 50D is going strong thanks to ayshih. Keep up the good work!

gary2013

Quote from: a1ex on January 21, 2014, 02:54:44 PM
Because there was no real progress in bringing it up to date and merging the code from TL (same with 7D), so we have disabled these builds again. This time it was no longer my decision.

Sorry, a promise is not enough.

On the upside, 1100D builds are back thanks to dmilligan, and 50D is going strong thanks to ayshih. Keep up the good work!
Hi Alex. Thanks for the quick reply. i would think it would stay so anyone can at least get the last build that was posted and working.

What happened to Jordan with the TL merge to ML for the M?

Walter Schulz

Quote from: a1ex on January 21, 2014, 02:54:44 PMso we have disabled these builds again.

This is troubleing indeed.
If you (= as in devs, plural) have reached some sort of consensus about how you are going to handle this issue:
Would you mind sharing some thougths with those at the receiving end (= as in users, plural)?

Das ist betrueblich.
Falls ihr (= wie in Entwickler, pl) eine wie auch immer geartete Uebereinstimmung erzielt habt, wie in diesem Punkt weiter verfahren werden soll, waere ich dankbar, falls ihr uns vom anderen Ende der Kette (= wie in Endbenutzer, pl) was dazu mitteilen koenntet.

Ciao
Walter

nanomad

The bottom line is that we don't feel these ports are ready for easy public consumption yet. There are fixes around in other repositories that would make them better but without an effort from someone to try and merge all the stuff back into the main repository we had to make a call and stop publishing the automated builds.

It's not like we are abandoning the ports. Think of this as a desperate call for help to the community.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Walter Schulz

Quote from: nanomad on January 21, 2014, 06:13:52 PMThink of this as a desperate call for help to the community.

And not the first one! I got this.

But I'm sorry to say I'm not up to that task. My coding skills are limited, to put it mildly.

Ciao
Walter

nanomad

I know it's not a trivial task but it's not impossible either. I bet everyone here is willing to provide all the help and support he can to whoever steps up. This includes mentoring and access to tools if needed.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Grovesky7

As these builds make my life so much better in terms of getting a creative fix and being able to fulfill it, I am more than willing to put time in to work on this build, as well as the 100D/ SL1. That being said, I have little to no knowledge about the underthehood workings. If someone wrote out a layman's terms point-in-the-right-direction post on where to get started to get the fastest payout, I will definitely dedicate any free time to fulfilling this community endeavor. AND with that being said, I am in school studying Chinese full-time, so my workflow would be erratic at best. Please let me know if my effort would be useful or not.

a1ex

Besides the sticky topics about how to setup your development environment, this can be a starting point for novice developers: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9625

(these tasks require only basic C skills, and I think a CS student should have no difficulties in solving any of them)

Grovesky7

Thanks alex. I will put some time aside to dive in and see what I can get into. Much appreciated :-)

engardeknave

I feel like there ought to be some sort of blockchain solution to remunerate developers for performing requested tasks. Something like: someone creates a development task and people pay some sort of coin into it, then a dev submits a solution, for which he is paid after a certain threshold confirmations that it works.

I think everyone realizes that developers should be paid, but the whole process of organizing it too costly in terms of time and effort. Not to mention gauche. You guys should get on this. I'm too lazy to learn how to code better, but I'd chip in for features.

hardmaninc

Hi All

I am using a 600D for video I have a Rode mic attached and I have am wondering what version of ML Nightly to put on the camera to get the best for video ? Also I have been told to also put tragic lantern on to help with the audio hiss ?  Cheers

rsmith02

I have the same setup with the 600D. I'd install a recent ML nightly version. For audio you don't need to do anything special beyond turn up the Rode mic and turn down the camera's gain.

5D3shooter

Latest build : "Built on: 2014-01-26 16:11:15 -0800"

Crashed my 5d3 while it was doing CF card test when I first turned it on.  I removed the battery and it's been fine since.  I have the crash logs if they're needed.

Also, why is the MLV RAW getting stuck at 1280X448 when I try to shoot 60P?  No matter how I try to reset the camera or change the canon setting first then enable the MLVRAW it won't go to 720. It will do 1920x1080 24P just fine.  Forgive me if there was a post on this but I haven't been able to find anything about it.

Thanks

hardmaninc

Quote from: rsmith02 on January 26, 2014, 10:24:15 PM
I have the same setup with the 600D. I'd install a recent ML nightly version. For audio you don't need to do anything special beyond turn up the Rode mic and turn down the camera's gain.

So in the audio setting which do I turn up and which do I turn down ? sorry

Thanks