Nightly Builds - try the very latest stuff here

Started by a1ex, October 11, 2012, 01:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Schulz

Delete ML directory from the card. Extract ML directory and autoexec.bin from nightly and copy them onto the card root.

Did I wrote "perform firmware update"? No? Guess why!

mattjenna

Quote from: Walter Schulz on December 21, 2013, 12:21:07 PM
Delete ML directory from the card. Extract ML directory and autoexec.bin from nightly and copy them onto the card root.

Did I wrote "perform firmware update"? No? Guess why!

Seems obvious and makes sense in retrospect when you know how the software works - however as a new user of ML I assumed that running a nightly build would require the same steps as loading a stable - now I understand it doesn't and why.

Thanks for posting and assisting in my understanding,

cyber3dx

Shot still photo test with 60D/50mm1.4 and found with this nightly build I get heavy purple CA as compared to stock firmware. And only slightly more CA than with the Nov 7th build.

Anyone else see this?

dmilligan

How could firmware affect the optics in any way? I'm pretty sure you can't reprogram glass.

cyber3dx

May be I should say a purple fringe around high contrast adjunct areas. Obviously it is not literally CA. But, the image is digitally processed and anything can happen as a result of it. In any case, there is a difference in the last two builds I've installed.

cyber3dx

Hey, I'm no expert and not trying to be a smart ass  :'( boo hoo . LOL.

I do actually need some help in figuring out what is causing this.

The only difference is the right image is on the latest build, the left image is on the previous build.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I would like to know!

a1ex

The focus changed slightly from one shot to another. See the reply from dmilligan.

dmilligan

schybiorz

Jost a question for the 600d

is there a chance,  that there wil be a overheating fix for the 600d.
because my cam gets very hot like mentioned a few posts earlier.

also the option of mraw or sraw like in tragic lantern would be nice.
nevertheless greate work you guys do here with magic lantern.

greetings

dhuiting

Just downloaded the nightly build for 5dmkiii. It worked for a bit but now the movie recording is stopping after 1 frame. It says "bug, please report."
I'm using Komputerbay 1200x 128gb card. It was fine for the 2.3 stable build.

dhuiting

Actually it was trying to write to the SD card. When I put in the CF card it doesn't recognize it, even though it automatically does a CF card test. When I turn the camera on it just says "card 2 write protected." Card 2 is the SD card. So it's not even seeing the CF card like it should.

Midphase

Can you file a bug report then instead of just posting about it?

denman

Hi, i'm french.
Thanks for such awesome article! I don't have all the menus . I have "Overlay", "Movie", "Display"..but not "Expo", "Modules..
Why?  :(
Please help, Thanks.
5DMk3    Rouen-FRANCE

Walter Schulz

denman

In my card : ml-5D300113.fir  /  ML with magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Dec25.5D3113  /  DCIM   /   MISC
Thanks Walter
5DMk3    Rouen-FRANCE

eightcore

a1ex, I just noticed that you've removed the 50D nightly builds.

So new ML users with a 50D have lost the possibility to record RAW video with their camera (due to missing repositories for downloading builds which supports this)?!
Seriously?

dmilligan

What's the point of having development builds if nobody is developing? That's the reason they were removed. The code is still in the repo, anyone is welcome to download it and build it themselves.

Lupo_wolfi

Hi Alex
Got the 5D3113. Using the latest version v2.3.NEXT.2013Dec28. Loaded MLV_REC. Once I raw record. The focus peak doesn't work anymore. Then I stop recording and the Global Draw are gone. To display them back I needed to take a random picture.

Hoping on a fix! thanks for your work

dubzeebass

Quote from: Lupo_wolfi on December 28, 2013, 04:08:37 PM
Hi Alex
Got the 5D3113. Using the latest version v2.3.NEXT.2013Dec28. Loaded MLV_REC. Once I raw record. The focus peak doesn't work anymore. Then I stop recording and the Global Draw are gone. To display them back I needed to take a random picture.

Hoping on a fix! thanks for your work

Turn on G. Draw Disable in the module settings.

audunbrekke

Hi.
What is happening to the ML for 6D ? There is no way do download it any more. I know it was working fine With the nightly build until magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Oct06.6D113. But now there is no way to download the latest ML for 6D anymore.

dmilligan

Quote from: audunbrekke on December 29, 2013, 11:10:16 PM
Hi.
What is happening to the ML for 6D ? There is no way do download it any more. I know it was working fine With the nightly build until magiclantern-v2.3.NEXT.2013Oct06.6D113. But now there is no way to download the latest ML for 6D anymore.
Yep: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=8900.msg91310#msg91310

The problem is that nobody is maintaining the 6D port except 1%, who for some strange reason is not contributing his changes back to the main repo. Basically he is only maintaining his competing fork. a1ex got tired of manually merging 1%'s changes for him. You can use TL if you want, personally I wouldn't.

tron

Can at least the last 6D ML version be made available?

Maybe alex had given a link in the past. I do not know. I will search but a link would be welcome...

eightcore

Quote from: tron on January 01, 2014, 02:39:51 PM
Can at least the last 6D ML version be made available?

Maybe alex had given a link in the past. I do not know. I will search but a link would be welcome...

And 50D, please.

In the thread "RAW video & ML -- Beginners Guide, FAQ & Useful Links -- READ FIRST" they refer to builds.magiclantern.fm/#/ as the download source for RAW video firmware, which isn't correct anymore in the case of the 50D.

Quote from: dmilligan on December 27, 2013, 03:11:34 AM
What's the point of having development builds if nobody is developing?

The point is that users without knowledge of compiling code can easily use ML for RAW recording.

You (developers) think: "Nobody is developing, so it makes no sense when we keep it in there"
I (user) think: "Why we have to compile it by ourselves just because nobody is developing?"

dmilligan

Quote from: eightcore on January 01, 2014, 04:27:19 PM
The point is that users without knowledge of compiling code can easily use ML for RAW recording.
Nope, that is not at all the point of nightly builds, you are completely wrong. The point of nightly builds is to aid developers by allowing users to test new features, so that developers can get feedback on those new features and fix bugs, etc. The developers only go to the trouble of making builds available to you so that you can provide feedback and testing. There is no point in automatically putting out new builds if this is not a closed loop. If there is no developer there to receive the feedback, there is no point in having the automatic public builds.

ML is not some polished consumer product ready to be used by every Tom, Dick, and Harry. It's a hobby project written by hackers (in the good sense) in their spare time. Some assembly required (pardon the pun).

Quote from: eightcore on January 01, 2014, 04:27:19 PM
I (user) think: "Why we have to compile it by ourselves just because nobody is developing?"
You realize this question reduces to "Why do we have to do something ourselves if there is nobody to do it for us?"