Nightly Builds - try the very latest stuff here

Started by a1ex, October 11, 2012, 01:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scrax

Quote from: Glaziers on November 27, 2012, 02:38:23 PM
and how to do it please tell me (at least hint)

can be anyone have the old version

First you need to be able to compile ML by yourself: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=991.0

Keep in mind that it's not enabled because it's not working and gives hangs, so before trying it you will need to be able to write code, find bugs and fix them.
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

jbuy41

Using the latest build and trying stack focus.  I keep geting "soft focus limit reached", and nothing happens.  Have a 550D and using a Sigma 50-200 HSM with stablizer.

Jordy Vandeput

Hey Alex and everyone else,

Sorry for the long time being inactive. I started by own video production company, and it's been very busy.
I'm going to test this nightly build to see if I would use them for commercial projects. I'll let you know my experience.

Cheers,
Jordy!
DSLR evangelist and Tuts+ instructor

adamchicago

Newbie question here...on the nightly download page the title of the download file includes the camera type "5D2" but after I download it and open it only .fir file is for the "1100D-105.fir".  Where is the .fir for the 5D2 or will this work across all camera listed on the download page?

Thanks

nanomad

Step1 Install stable
Step2 Overwrite with nightly
Step3 ???
Step4 Profit!
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Jordy Vandeput

Quote from: adamchicago on January 21, 2013, 11:47:49 PM
Newbie question here...on the nightly download page the title of the download file includes the camera type "5D2" but after I download it and open it only .fir file is for the "1100D-105.fir".  Where is the .fir for the 5D2 or will this work across all camera listed on the download page?

Thanks

Use the 5D2 fir from the stable release (2.3). That's just an installation file. The autoexec.bin file is the actual nightly build.

adamchicago

Whew! ...thanks for the clarification you may have just saved me a bricking;) 

And for anyone else here's what you do to install the latest nightly:

1. You have to have installed the latest stable Magic Lantern build per the initial install instructions if you haven't yet
2. After you have the stable ML version on your camera go to nightly build download location and download the nightly zip file
3. On your camera card delete the current "autoexec.bin" file (that came with the stable ML install)
4. Grab ONLY the "autoexec.bin" file from the nightly zip you downloaded and put it on your camera card in place of the one you just deleted
NOTE: you use the same autoexec.bin file for all cameras listed on the nightly download LINK name
5. Put the card back in your camera and start up normally
6. Your done...nightly build is on your camera now:)

NOTE: there are other files that will be included in the downloaded nightly zip file but you only need the autoexec.bin if installing after having the stable ML on your camera

I only did this once, but successfully, so any experts please chime in if I have something wrong...I hold no liability if this doesn't work for you:(

nanomad

You have to replace all the files from the zip not just the auto exec
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

sutobe

If you replace the menuidx.dat you can't use the documentary anymore....better said it starts always with 404 and on the next page its the documentary's first page
Canon EOS 550D / Canon EF-S 10-22mm 1:3,5-4,5 USM / Canon EF-S 18-55 mm 3.5-5.6 IS / Canon EF-S 55-250mm 4,0-5,6 IS II / Canon EF 50mm 1:1.8 II / Canon Speedlite 430EX II

adamchicago

I replaced just the auto exec, per advice above, and works perfectly so I'm sticking with that method until I'm convinced otherwise.

Am wrong to believe if I replaced the 5D2 fir file with the 1100D-105.fir file that my 5D2 wouldn't work properly?

It would be awesome if the ML developers would post the exact steps that apply to all camera's the nightly's work with because there's several different methods being communicated on this thread that may or may not brick your camera.

nanomad

Last time I checked I was a ML dev and I posted the correct procedure multiple times already. If docs are missing is because they are out of date (as the download page clearly says)

About firs: the camera refuses to run an incompatible fir and they also have different names so I don't see how you could overwrite yours

adamchicago

First, you guys are doing an absolute AWESOME JOB with Magic Lantern development, response to user input on and on! ...and I cannot say enough great things about this app:)  Anything I bring up here is just in relation to understanding the nightly process so I don't brick my camera...by my own fault.

Just for clarity because this is the part that scares me (and others) the most:

For the nightly, if I delete the 5D2-212.fir from my 5D2's memory card and replace that file with the nightly's 1100D-105.fir file (along with the other nightly files) then put it back into my 5D2, it will still perform normally even though it's a different camera model's fir file? ...that's what the instructions say, replace all the files with the nightly files which include a different camera model's fir file (1100D vs 5D2).

Thank you very much for all your help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:):):):)

1%

adamchicago

A few nightly's back you guys made some improvements to the Timelapse ramping where there are now two options: "Smooth ramping" and "LRT Holy Grail 1EV" and the latter has worked great so far.  BUT would it be possible to give the user the ability to change the 1EV setting to any EV value you want?  So you would pick "LRT Holy Grail" and then have the option set the EV value to anything from zero up to I don't know maybe 10...in 0.2 increments maybe.  Frankly I would like to try EV1.5 and EV2.0.

I believe the higher the EV value, the fewer bramp-exposure jumps during the timelapse...is that correct?  The fewer bramp jumps the easier the post edit is and smoother the entire exposure curve is;)

scrax

Quote from: adamchicago on January 31, 2013, 05:11:57 AM
A few nightly's back you guys made some improvements to the Timelapse ramping where there are now two options: "Smooth ramping" and "LRT Holy Grail 1EV" and the latter has worked great so far.  BUT would it be possible to give the user the ability to change the 1EV setting to any EV value you want?  So you would pick "LRT Holy Grail" and then have the option set the EV value to anything from zero up to I don't know maybe 10...in 0.2 increments maybe.  Frankly I would like to try EV1.5 and EV2.0.

I believe the higher the EV value, the fewer bramp-exposure jumps during the timelapse...is that correct?  The fewer bramp jumps the easier the post edit is and smoother the entire exposure curve is;)

I suppose it's set to 1EV since is the best value that LRTimelapse can handle to remove flicker, that's why it's called LRT Holy Grail
I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

rufustfirefly

Are there any chances of adding 5D3 support to the nightly builds? AFAIK, the original blocking issue which was keeping it out has been dealt with.
EOS 5Dmk3 | EOS 40D
EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II ; 50mm f/1.4 ; 24-104mm kit lens ; 135mm f/2.8 SF | FD 28mm f/2.0 ; 55mm f/1.2 ; 300mm f/4 | Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 | Other : Rokinon Cine 14mm, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm ; Juplen M42 135mm f/2.8 ; ... etc ...
http://jbuchbinder.com/

rufustfirefly

To clarify my last post:

From what I understand about the ML booting/loading process for nightlies, there's a "loader" FIR file (which we shouldn't tamper with) and the AUTOEXEC.BIN file (which contains the actual ML code). This relies on there being a "stable" FIR release, which seem to weigh in at about 64k apiece. Right now, the only FIR releases available for the 5D3 are the ones in the alpha releases. The Alpha 3 release weighs in at well over 256k, and has no companion AUTOEXEC.BIN file. I believe that the reason for a "missing" AUTOEXEC.BIN file in the 5D3 Alpha releases were given a while back.

I tried loading a compiled version of the 5D3.113 build onto my Mark III -- but it currently ignores the AUTOEXEC.BIN file and simply loads the Alpha 3 version. I hadn't seen anyone else in the forums complaining about a similar problem, so it could be a "pebcak" thing -- but I figured I'd ask for it to be rolled into the nightlies.
EOS 5Dmk3 | EOS 40D
EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS II ; 50mm f/1.4 ; 24-104mm kit lens ; 135mm f/2.8 SF | FD 28mm f/2.0 ; 55mm f/1.2 ; 300mm f/4 | Nikkor 55mm f/1.2 | Other : Rokinon Cine 14mm, 24mm, 35mm, 85mm ; Juplen M42 135mm f/2.8 ; ... etc ...

a1ex

Try the developer FIR, make the card bootable and should work.

rufustfirefly

Sorry -- I just noticed the amendment you had made to the initial message.

For anyone else reading the forum, the direct link to this is:

http://a1ex.magiclantern.fm/bleeding-edge/5D3/5D3-113-bootflag.fir

(Same basic disclaimed as a1ex gave originally -- don't use it unless you vaguely know what you're doing.)
EOS 5Dmk3 | EOS 40D

rufustfirefly

Thank you for pointing out that you already released a proper "bootflag" FIR file for the 5D3; I apologize for having missed it in the original post.

Is there anything which is keeping the 5D3 from being included in the nightly builds, now that (AFAIK) the major stability issue has been dealt with?
EOS 5Dmk3 | EOS 40D

a1ex

I'd like a bit more feedback from those who tried the bootflag FIR (just look at 650D thread to see why).

Also, the installer is not as user friendly as on the other cameras (it can't yet make the cards bootable because of the dual card slot). If that's not a problem, I'll try to add it.

nanomad

Build system updated to GCC 4.7.3
Let me know if anything is broken

Jordy Vandeput

I took this build to a commercial project on the Canon 5D mark 2. Everything worked fine, had no crashes.

One thing I noticed tho, is that when you record with headphones and audio input. After the recording is done. The signal doesn't come into the camera anymore. The meters are not showing anything, and you can't hear anything.

I had to take the headphones jack out, and insert it back to get everything working again.

This happend each time after recording.

a1ex

Good catch, the bug was introduced by 600D audio code and nobody noticed it so far.

Jordy Vandeput

Alex, is there anything more to do with HDMI output to LCD monitor?

With the force AVG, it's been a big improvement. But it only fills like 3/5th of my screen.
Should I posts pictures with different settings? Or is it very hard to improve the HDMI output?