Nightly Builds - try the very latest stuff here

Started by a1ex, October 11, 2012, 01:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmilligan

Quote from: itsDPmikey on February 24, 2016, 05:04:31 PM
I downgraded to 1.1.3 from 03/27/2014 and everything just works BEAUTIFULLY!
Okay. That's step 1. Now you can start trying builds between then and now and figure out exactly which features break in which builds, and give detailed steps to reproduce them.

(You don't have to try every build, just do a binary search)

axelcine

Did my little test all over again - with the difference that the SD cards in both cams (with ML) are now exFat, just to eliminate the cams from following the format from the SD-card (until yesterday they were fats, until I forced exFat on them, Ml'led and fir'red - ML works just fine.) I formatted both CF cards, the 64GB in my 123 and the 128GB in my 113, and both were "reduced" to fat32, so obviously my two cams haven't learned how to do exFat. I put both cards back in my card reader and PC-reformatted them back to exFat. The cams accept the exfatted cards and install dcim and misc folders without any problem.
So my experience tells me, that what I have thought to be true - that 5d formats bigger cards (128>) with exFat - isn't correct, at least with my cams. From now on I'll only rely on my PC to exfat my cards.

Even the respected DP Review maintains in their thread 5D Mark III video time limit, that 128GB cards will be exfat-formatted in cam - which my cams don't seem to know.

Of course the major weakness with my argument is, that I haven't tried cards larger than 128GB.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

tron

Both of my 5D3s with firmware 1.2.3 format 64GB cards as follows: CF 64GB: FAT32. SD:exFAT.

I want both of them to be FAT32 so as to back them up with my hyperdrive (the specific non-latest model does not understand exFAT even with latest firmware).

I can format SD card with a specific utility to make it FAT32 and recreate the directory structure manually (this works with both camera and hyperdrive) but it seems complex to also put ML above that.

axelcine

Of course that would be the solution if your raw videofiles never exceed 4G. Normally I'd never make so long shots myself, but maybe once in a year a job comes up, where one cam has to continue filming beyond the factory limit. Then I'd feel safer with exFat permanently mounted instead of having to remember to prepare a card specifically for this job. So from now on I'll have exFat on all cards in my 5dIIIs. If there should be any kind of a problem with this I'll post ML Universe immediately.

But, @itsDPmikey, don't blame yourself too much. Until I tested the stuff I believed, that 5DIII would format 128's and higher with exFat.
EOS RP, 5dIII.113/Batt.grip, 5dIII.123, 700d/Batt.Grip/VF4 viewfinder + a truckload of new and older Canon L, Sigma and Tamron glass

DeafEyeJedi

exFAT for life! I'd try and find a way to get that hyperdrive of yours fixed somehow to make it read/write exFAT otherwise what's the point of sticking to the limitations of FAT32 and fear these nasty dropped frames once you hit the 4GB barrel?
5D3.113 | 5D3.123 | EOSM.203 | 7D.203 | 70D.112 | 100D.101 | EOSM2.* | 50D.109

axelcine

HyperDrive ColorSpace UDMA3 specifications indicate, that it will work with fat32 OR EXFAT -  BUT... Individual files must be smaller than 4G. Strange...!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1191265-REG/sanho_shdcsudma3500_500gb_colorspace_udma_3.html

Walter Schulz

Not the only ones: Canon supports ExFAT but will splitt files to fit into 4 GB limit.

axelcine

tron

I was commenting on FAT32/exFAT only. I do not shoot video. I thought of exchanging experience regarding how our 5d3s behave with formatting various cards. I have already 2 hyperdrives and I do not intend to buy a 3rd one. Even my "latest" which is the UDMA model (2 gens behind) cannot be upgraded to support exFAT. It would be best if Canon gave us a format choice in menu but I know this is not going to happen...

tron

@axelcine: I just read about latest UDMA3 limitations comment. Strange indeed. I guess UDMAxx (xx > 10) will fix that  :D

Anyway they also have to increase copy speed and support CFAST 2.0 and XQD ....  :D

itsDPmikey

what I want to know at this point is, are pink frames/bad frames inevitable with the new builds at this point? because for a long time every new build  that I have tried has given me bad frames/pink frames.
I love this &^*$ MAN!

dmilligan

Quote from: itsDPmikey on March 03, 2016, 01:08:03 AM
what I want to know at this point is, are pink frames/bad frames inevitable with the new builds at this point?
They are until you help us fix them.

Quote from: dmilligan on February 24, 2016, 06:19:10 PM
Okay. That's step 1. Now you can start trying builds between then and now and figure out exactly which features break in which builds, and give detailed steps to reproduce them.

Danne

I,ll see if I can narrow down the first problematic build on a 7D on monday since it was easily reproduced in 60 fps both with RAW and MLV.

Übermatik

Hi there, I'm in need of some help resolving an issue with using magiclantern-Nightly.2016Feb28.550D109 on my 550D.

I followed the installation instructions (format card in camera, check Canon firmware, install etc.) and everything worked out fine. However, following the installation it seems like the camera has difficult actually using the ML firmware. When I boot up it cleans the sensor (normal?) and then presents me with a black screen as if the camera can't display the ML menu. I can press 'Display" to bring up the normal Canon UI, but all that's changed is the card memory display on the bottom right. Am I missing something? Nothing else seems different, and I certainly don't see any of the menus etc. that ML show on their site, nor can I find any new camera options (ISO etc.).

First post, so hopefully that all made sense!

Thanks in advance.

Walter Schulz

Don't mind reading FAQ or Install Guide.
Use trashcan button to access ML menu.

c4alex

Hi guys !

Just installed the fresh new build ( my last was from june 2015 ) , and now its impossible to have global draw while recording , or do i miss something ?

EDIT : Im just stupid > MOVIE > RAW VIDEO > GLOBAL DRAW --> Allow

VirgiBRS

Please help, Ive tried to install the nightly build twice, without any success
I Installed the old version, delete and then install the nighly buid, please its been several hours since I started , andmy camera doesnt turn on

Licaon_Kter

a1ex

I managed to take a break from my usual stuff and cleaned up a bunch of things in ML. Here's what I'd like to merge in the next few days:

- [MERGED] pink frame fix for mlv_rec (credits: beauchampy for helping narrowing down)

- [MERGED] small fixes for both raw_rec and mlv_rec, such as blocking the zoom key while recording to avoid crashes, or blocking all the buttons after recording stops to avoid accidental data loss

- [MERGED] Black level fix - finally managed to clean it up and polish the remaining rough edges

- [MERGED] Benchmarks and self-tests moved out of the ML core and refactored as modules (this frees memory for 600D to be re-included in the nightly builds, and hopefully also fixes the "busy" bug)

- [MERGED] lots of Lua fixes; this also includes a bunch of core fixes. I just want to bring it to the point where it actually runs all the example scripts.

- [MERGED] 60D 640x480 crop mode centering fix for raw recording (credits: dfort and xiga)

These are for later:

- MLV Lite (dmilligan): there are still reports that it's a little slower than raw_rec, so I made a small change for which I'd like some feedback.

- the crop_rec module and the patch manager library

I'd appreciate any help in reviewing the code and testing the above pull requests.

josepvm

Last nightly builds (2016-04-15 and 2016-04-13) are failing for 50D, with this error in the build log:

../../src/zebra.c: In function 'clearscreen_task':
../../src/zebra.c:3862:25: error: implicit declaration of function 'idle_kill_flicker' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
                         idle_kill_flicker();
                         ^
../../src/zebra.c:3867:25: error: implicit declaration of function 'idle_stop_killing_flicker' [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
                         idle_stop_killing_flicker();
                         ^
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make: *** [zebra.o] Error 1

So it seems that functions "idle_kill_flicker()" and "idle_stop_killing_flicker()" are not well defined in /src/zebra.c

I do not see this error on recent nightly builds for other cameras.

There's something we have to test in order to have it fixed? Could be this error related to the recent stubs reformat? (perhaps some stubs missing for 50D?)

--------- Edit --------------------

Perhaps the problem is in this code:

#ifdef CONFIG_KILL_FLICKER
static void idle_kill_flicker()
{
    if (!canon_gui_front_buffer_disabled())
    {
        get_yuv422_vram();
        canon_gui_disable_front_buffer();
        clrscr();
        if (is_movie_mode())
        {
            black_bars_16x9();
            if (RECORDING) {
                fill_circle(os.x_max - 12, os.y0 + 28, 10, COLOR_RED);
            }
        }
    }
}
static void idle_stop_killing_flicker()
{
    if (canon_gui_front_buffer_disabled())
    {
        canon_gui_enable_front_buffer(0);
    }
}
#endif

That originally was on "zebra.c" but now has been moved to "powersave.c" (line 406). 

My C programming knowledge is very rusty now, after many years of not practising it, but it seems to me that this code contains the actual function definitions for "idle_kill_flicker()" and "idle_stop_killing_flicker()", so the definitions are missing in "zebra.c"

Levas

I read in the change log of the nightly builds that the magnify button is blocked during recording to prevent the camera to freeze.
But doesn't this interfere with the magic zoom option ?
In the older builds, when magic zoom is disabled, the camera freezes when magnify button is used(during recording), when magic zoom is enabled you can use the magnify button without the camera to freeze(during recording).

Licaon_Kter

Quote from: josepvm on April 15, 2016, 08:11:29 PM
That originally was on "zebra.c" but now has been moved to "powersave.c" (line 406). 
Yes the powersave move is at fault, some stuff needs to be added I guess.

I've tried some things, like added:
static CONFIG_INT( "global.draw",   global_draw, 3 );
static void black_bars_16x9();

#define ZEBRAS_IN_LIVEVIEW (global_draw & 1)

#ifdef CONFIG_KILL_FLICKER // this will block all Canon drawing routines when the camera is idle
extern int kill_canon_gui_mode;
#endif
In powersave.c under #include "lens.h"

And:
extern void idle_kill_flicker();

extern void idle_stop_killing_flicker();
Somewhere in powersave.h, which made things move along a bit yet still crash since I id not define them right :(.
[ CC       ]   powersave.o
../../src/powersave.c:11:13: warning: 'black_bars_16x9' used but never defined
static void black_bars_16x9();
             ^
[ CC       ]   ml-cbr.o
[ CC       ]   raw.o
[ CC       ]   chdk-dng.o
[ CC       ]   edmac-memcpy.o
[ CC       ]   console.o
[ CC       ]   tcc-glue.o
make -C ../../tcc
make[2]: Entering directory '/my-magic-lantern-update/tcc'
make[2]: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
make[2]: Leaving directory '/my-magic-lantern-update/tcc'
[ CC       ]   module.o
[ CC       ]   misc.o
[ CC       ]   afma.o
[ AR       ]   strrchr.o
[ AR       ]   dietlibc.a
[ AR       ]   lib_a-setjmp.o
[ AR       ]   newlib-libc.a
[ CP       ]   newlib-libm.a
[ CP       ]   gcc-libgcc.a
[ LD       ]   magiclantern
powersave.o:(.config_vars+0x60): multiple definition of `__config_global_draw'
zebra.o:(.config_vars+0x220): first defined here
zebra.o: In function `clearscreen_task':
zebra.c:(.text+0x68a4): undefined reference to `idle_stop_killing_flicker'
zebra.c:(.text+0x6b34): undefined reference to `idle_kill_flicker'
zebra.o: In function `_redraw_do':
zebra.c:(.text+0x703c): undefined reference to `idle_kill_flicker'
powersave.o: In function `idle_kill_flicker':
powersave.c:(.text+0x1bc): undefined reference to `black_bars_16x9'
../../src/Makefile.src:196: recipe for target 'magiclantern' failed
make[1]: *** [magiclantern] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/my-magic-lantern-update/platform/50D.109'
Makefile:18: recipe for target '50D' failed
make: *** [50D] Error 2

So, yeah we need help. :)

a1ex

josepvm

Quote from: a1ex on April 16, 2016, 08:52:49 PM
Fixed both, hopefully.

Now it builds correctly for 50D.

I have just done a quick test in camera. Everthing seems Ok, zebras (RAW and LumaFast) work, and powersave settings in liveview photo mode work Ok also (turn off global draw, dim display).

Walter Schulz

Bug with tonights nightly?

7D, enabled Selftest.mo and after reboot Modules tab is gone. Have to restore ML defaults to bring it up again.