Nightly Builds - try the very latest stuff here

Started by a1ex, October 11, 2012, 01:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mystery57

Not sure if this is the right place to post or not

Installed the 1st July 2014 nightly build (my first time use of the software) onto a Kingston 16Gb CF card to use in my 5DMk3 camera.

All seemed ok with the installation, and I went out to take some photos. I dont switch the camera on and off in a session.

I was finding between photos that I was having to press the shutter button partially for a couple of seconds for the camera to come out of what seemed to be a hibernation.

After appx 20 photos, everything went dead.

I replaced the battery - no change.

So I then put a card in without ML installed - still dead.

I then put the original battery back in and the camera recommenced working (obviously without ML).

The replacement battery I had also tried, worked as well when I used that next.

Somehow the CF card had become corrupted I later identified.

Anyone else had this problem or any idea what the problem is. This is the first card I have had corrupt in this camera, and in years of using them never before a Kingston one.

It reformatted ok via my PC, then I was able to put it back in the camera and reformat it in there and it now works fine again (still without ML)

I'm not a programmer so am reliant on all of you guys who are for guidance - thank you.

Incidentally, I went to check the Camera firmware status, and only the Canon one is showing now, obviously not ML because I didnt reinstall it, however I see some topics referring to BootFlag needing to be removed - however my camera still seems to be booting up almost instantly - dont know if this is relevant information for you or not

Sorin

Greetings!
It's my fist time posting on this forum, and I'm using ML on an EOS M.
Generally, I can say I'm quite pleased with the features it provides but I'm here to report a bug, since i don't know where else to do so.

So I've tried the following settings:
- manual mode with exposure bracketing of 1 stop
- continuous shooting
- ML screen

When I'm doing this, the camera freezes and it won't respond not even to the shut down button. Sometimes the screen makes some gray and red lines and it stays like that. After removing the battery all is good, but the pictures aren't saved on the memory card.
This only happens with the ML screen. If I try using any other canon screen (by pressing the info button) then nothing like this happens.

brockbrick1

Hi all I'm new to this forum. I want to know of there's a magic lantern build for my canon 7d version 2.0.5
Thanks for you help

Walter Schulz

2.0.5 isn't supported yet. Downgrade to 2.0.3 to run ML.

brockbrick1

I don't know how I can downgrade to 2.0.3. Can you please help I'm new to ML

Walter Schulz

http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=9983.msg96084#msg96084
Download Canon's firmware version 2.0.3 + copy the file to your card + run firmware update.

brockbrick1

jpaana

Quote from: Sorin on July 21, 2014, 02:28:43 PM
Greetings!
It's my fist time posting on this forum, and I'm using ML on an EOS M.
Generally, I can say I'm quite pleased with the features it provides but I'm here to report a bug, since i don't know where else to do so.

So I've tried the following settings:
- manual mode with exposure bracketing of 1 stop
- continuous shooting
- ML screen

When I'm doing this, the camera freezes and it won't respond not even to the shut down button. Sometimes the screen makes some gray and red lines and it stays like that. After removing the battery all is good, but the pictures aren't saved on the memory card.
This only happens with the ML screen. If I try using any other canon screen (by pressing the info button) then nothing like this happens.

I tried reproducing this but couldn't, took quite many brackets without problems (apart from a cosmetic problem of zebras filling the screen after the first frame). I use my own compiled binary, but it should be roughly the same as nightly from yesterday. Which info options you have enabled? I have disabled spot meter, only use focus peaking and zebras, otherwise default options.

brockbrick1

brockbrick1

My camera wouldn't turn on again after install ML. What might be the problem

brockbrick1

budafilms

Quote from: brockbrick1 on July 21, 2014, 11:37:54 PM
Is my camera ruined

Put out the battery - fill the battery to full - green in the charger.
Take off the cards.
Put a card formatted form you PC or Mac - format in the camera.
And everything have to work.

Can you describe exactly your process to get help?

Sorin

Quote from: jpaana on July 21, 2014, 10:43:49 PM
I tried reproducing this but couldn't, took quite many brackets without problems (apart from a cosmetic problem of zebras filling the screen after the first frame). I use my own compiled binary, but it should be roughly the same as nightly from yesterday. Which info options you have enabled? I have disabled spot meter, only use focus peaking and zebras, otherwise default options.

I was using the version labeled 2014Jul18 and previous. On the latest one, labeled 2014Jul22 it seems to be working.
It was the same with some older versions in these past 2 months.

So I guess this issue was fixed now.

EDIT: now sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.
What specific settings should I tell you?

The difference now is that it works when you do exposure bracketing but if you do just continuous shooting, at some point it freezes.

jpaana

Quote from: Sorin on July 22, 2014, 03:04:49 PM
I was using the version labeled 2014Jul18 and previous. On the latest one, labeled 2014Jul22 it seems to be working.
It was the same with some older versions in these past 2 months.

So I guess this issue was fixed now.

EDIT: now sometimes works, sometimes it doesn't.
What specific settings should I tell you?

The difference now is that it works when you do exposure bracketing but if you do just continuous shooting, at some point it freezes.

Ah ok, I tried this as well, took 30 frame "burst" without problems. By info options I meant the options in Overlay tab (spot meter, zebras, focus peaking, histogram, etc.). Also any other settings that might be relevant like whether you shoot raw or jpeg (I used raw) and so on?

Sorin

Quote from: jpaana on July 22, 2014, 04:16:59 PM
Ah ok, I tried this as well, took 30 frame "burst" without problems. By info options I meant the options in Overlay tab (spot meter, zebras, focus peaking, histogram, etc.). Also any other settings that might be relevant like whether you shoot raw or jpeg (I used raw) and so on?

I've tried as you said, and I've firstly unchecked all of the Overlay tab options, then checked them one by one. It happens when I enable the Magic Zoom (F+HS, Med). I've tried it with all the other options checked and unchecked, and it seems that this is what's causing the problem.
Also when I've changed the picture size from either largest L or RAW to S3 I've got the error message Error 70.
On the previously mentioned picture size, the camera just freezes without giving any error message.

jpaana

Quote from: Sorin on July 22, 2014, 08:13:41 PM
I've tried as you said, and I've firstly unchecked all of the Overlay tab options, then checked them one by one. It happens when I enable the Magic Zoom (F+HS, Med). I've tried it with all the other options checked and unchecked, and it seems that this is what's causing the problem.
Also when I've changed the picture size from either largest L or RAW to S3 I've got the error message Error 70.
On the previously mentioned picture size, the camera just freezes without giving any error message.

Thanks, didn't get this reproduced with Magic Zoom + raw (though I did get an error message about "Raw error, falling back to YUV" or similar, probably from raw histogram I had enabled), but got it to hang with Magic Zoom + S3, without error message though. I'll enable some debug options in my build and see if I get any meaningful info out of it.

1anl

I have noticed that the number of modules available has decresed on a number of recent nightly builds.
Looking at the 500D for example.
The 18th of July list 14 modules but the 29th July list only 10.
The mlv_ modules and the dot_tune have gone.
Also the silent.mo has reverted to a version before the full resolution change which was available in the 18th build.
It there an issue with these modules, i.e. they failed to build overnight?
Would it be safe to copy the missing modules from a previous version, i.e. the 18th to the 29th?
I think I know the answer to the second question would be NO but wanted to check.

Thanks

a1ex

I bet you are not talking about ML nightly builds. They are here: http://builds.magiclantern.fm/

dot_tune was never available on 500D, mlv is there, and full-res silent pics were not included in the nightly builds yet.

Robbe

Quote from: Robbe on July 07, 2014, 11:37:14 PM
Installed latest nighly build, 2014Jul02, (tried also with earlier versions), loaded raw_rec module and reboot.
The Menu/Modules shows raw_rec OK, but Menu/Movies are all dimmed and no green dot. In Menu/Modules/RAW video shows N/A, but I can set resolution and record. Just after recording, the green dot lights and showing resolution. But when reboot there is no resolution showing and no green dots. Have to start over again every time.
Only me having this problem with Canon 5D mark2?
//RobBe
Canon 5D MarkII, Canon 600D, EF 14mm, EF 15mm, EF 35-350, EF 70-200  ML: latest Nighly Build + RAW video module. 32GB Sandisk 800x (120 MB/s) card.

ayshih

When you say that "Menu/Movies are all dimmed", it sounds like you haven't entered LV yet.  It's only when LV is active that items in that tab show up as enabled, and the same is true to see the resolution in "Menu/Modules/Raw video" as something other than "N/A".
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

1anl

Replying to ayshih.

Overlooked entering LV. But when I do enter LV I can record raw but, the dual ISO option remains greyed out on the Expo menu although I can select a recover ISO value by selection the Q button.

On the Expo menu White balance is Auto, ISO 100 Shutter set to 1/38 Aperture set to 5.6 Expo. Override ON.

ayshih

Quote from: 1anl on July 25, 2014, 04:22:14 PM
But when I do enter LV I can record raw but, the dual ISO option remains greyed out on the Expo menu although I can select a recover ISO value by selection the Q button.
I believe the 5D2 (like the 50D) is not yet able to do dual ISO video.

Edit: Sorry, I just noticed that you aren't the same person who had the original issue (with the 5D2).  Do you have a different model?
Canon EOS 50D | 17–40mm f/4L & 70–300mm f/4.5–5.6 DO IS | Lexar 1066x

1anl

Replying to ayshih,

The camera is a 500D, which probably is not up to the task.

Sorin

Quote from: jpaana on July 22, 2014, 09:29:18 PM
Thanks, didn't get this reproduced with Magic Zoom + raw (though I did get an error message about "Raw error, falling back to YUV" or similar, probably from raw histogram I had enabled), but got it to hang with Magic Zoom + S3, without error message though. I'll enable some debug options in my build and see if I get any meaningful info out of it.

I've tried the more recent build 2014Jul25 for the EOS M and I can tell that now it does work every 2 out of 3 tries. I'm not an engineer, but if you want me to try certain settings for a more accurate description, I can do that, just let me know what to do.

dmatthews

Can you direct me to the forum for Err70 situations with th3 500D and 550D?