Want to try some feature implemented after 2.3?

Started by a1ex, October 11, 2012, 12:53:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

a1ex

Most features from this section were implemented after the 2.3 stable release. But... maybe you want to try something new from here (e.g. you have requested a feature and it was done). What to download?

Well... if you don't care about running bleeding edge code, you have two options:

1) Compile the latest source code (recommended - you have full control over the process, you can review the source code, adjust it to fit your needs and share your improvements).

2) Download a nightly build. They are compiled daily from the latest source code, by an automatic program - the build bot. However, you will be probably the first one who will try new (untested) stuff on your camera model.

If you run bleeding edge code, we kindly ask you to give something back - bug reports. Tell us what is not working, so we can fix it.

If you have trouble, just go back to the stable release.

To see what's new, watch the changeset on the source code repository. The list of changes is huge - if you want a nice summary, wait for the next stable release.

Thanks!

l_d_allan

Something that might be helpful ... in the "Change Log" that accompanies the "Nightly Build", perhaps have a separate summary of [Done] feature requests. I try to glance at the "Change Log", but I can rarely decipher how that relates to revised/enhanced/new capabilities.

Also perhaps a link to discussion about a new capability? For example, I'm still trying to figure out how to get Auto-ETTR to work consistently on my 5dm2. Ok, with trial and error I can usually figure out how something works, but ....

Maybe I'm the only one this applies to, but it makes me more than a little nervous to be randomly pushing buttons with barely tested firmware that could brick my camera.
(sorry for the whining)