[HARDWARE ISSUE] 5D Mark II Bricked - Need Help

Started by tsj5j, October 10, 2012, 04:16:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsj5j

Hi,

I was recording video with Magic Lantern yesterday, everything went fine. I turned the camera off, took the card out and start transferring the videos out. When I placed the card back into the camera few hours later, the camera doesn't turn on anymore.

I've tried:
- Taking the lens, card then battery out of the camera, then re-inserting the battery to start. LED does not flash.
- Trying to start the camera in every mode - no response, LED does not flash either.
- Format the CF card, insert and trying to start the camera - no response either.
- Copying ML back into the CF card and trying to start the camera - no response.

This is my first time using ML, so I have a strong suspicion that this problem is ML-related.
Can anyone offer any help?

a1ex

Did you remove the card before the safety blink?

Make sure the battery is charged, then start without card. After each failed startup, you need to take the battery out (the power switches are software).

Also make sure the card and battery doors are properly closed.

tsj5j

I can't remember if it blinked, but let's assume I removed before the blink.

I've repeated the process (battery is verified fully charged, using 2 separate batteries), starting the camera repeatedly, taking out and putting the battery back in. Card and battery doors are closed.

Any other ideas?

a1ex

Try the first diagnostic tool from here (LED blinker): http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2296.0

You may need to make the card bootable from the PC, since you have formatted it.

tsj5j

I can't try it right now, but what if it blinks, and what if it doesn't? What's the next step?

I just sent the camera into Canon Service Centre, if there is any hope of recovering it myself, I'll take the camera back from them.

a1ex

That page explains it. If it blinks, there is some hope, if it doesn't, there's none.

Let's hope the service fixes it without charging you too much.

Chantalavaca

Same thing happened to me, tried the led thingy, installed it on a card, turned it on and nothing, you got any updates? How much did they charge you at Canon, were they able to fix it?

Walter Schulz

You have made the card bootable, Chantalavaca?

flynhawaiian

Same thing happened to mine.  Everything works properly but I cannot see the LCD screen.  I took out all of the batteries, placed in reformatted cards and nothing.  The lcd blinks fine.  The camera takes pictures.  The top lcd screen works.  I just cannot see anything on the rear LCD.  Even when using live view.

Help?

a1ex

That's definitely not the same thing.

Things to try:
- an external monitor
- this autoexec.bin (it's what we are researching these days in this branch - it will turn on the display using only bootloader routines, without calling anything from the main firmware)

flynhawaiian

So the monitor is on, it is not displaying anything with that auto exec.  But when I go back to the original ML it displays perfectly out of the HDMI port.  I can see everything and even cleared all of the settings.

flynhawaiian

Even with the original ML nothing is being displayed on the LCD.  Has my LCD screen become defective?  It hasn't been dropped or anything.  It was just sitting in the case.

a1ex

That autoexec should work on the built-in LCD (I didn't try it on external monitors). If it doesn't work, the LCD is very likely defective.

flynhawaiian

Just sent it in.  They said over the phone that the LCD PCB is bad.  Go figure all it did was sit in my bag.