Audio settings Juicedlink DT454 using ML on 5DII

Started by okaro, October 10, 2012, 01:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okaro

Hi guys,

would you have the logical audio settings for working with a preamp/DT454 running ML on a Canon 5DII,
that go beyond the info being mentioned in the Juicedlink Manual (pages 6 and 7)?

I´m having a hard time figuring out if to work either with or without analog gain at all on the ML set-up, where to best disable AGC and which settings in the Canon menu (automatic/manual audio control) to best choose from.

Many thanks in advance, any link or hint to the correct set-up would be appreciated a lot. I was rushing and reading through forums but couldn´t find any detailed audio settings guide for working with pro-/lav-mics and using preamps on ML with the 5DII..
sorry for crossposting.

Best regards,
chris

Led

Hi I don't have a 5D but I would suggest :

- Don't use the gain in ML, have it set to zero and use the preamp gain to set the levels (peaking at around -10) as the preamp will
  be better quality most likely.
- Disable auto gain on everything, camera and preamp if it has it.
- Set the Canon menu to manual audio control.

Cheers.

okaro

Thanks for your help, I tried a few camera/preamp combinations without ending in a perfectly adapted setup.
It wasn´t possible to get well balanced audio (let´s say -15db, using both intern plus a cardioid mic) without the necessity to boost the signal up to +32db analog gain in ML. Do you have to do the same to get clear sound from your external mic??

Confusing, I read somewhere that you get clearer audio, less hiss and probably better s/n results when using ML instead of preamps in general, not speaking of the DT454 that´s supposed to be optimized for DSLR use.

ZeroUnityGain

Quote from: okaro on October 10, 2012, 01:16:27 AM
Hi guys,

would you have the logical audio settings for working with a preamp/DT454 running ML on a Canon 5DII,
that go beyond the info being mentioned in the Juicedlink Manual (pages 6 and 7)?

I´m having a hard time figuring out if to work either with or without analog gain at all on the ML set-up, where to best disable AGC and which settings in the Canon menu (automatic/manual audio control) to best choose from.

Many thanks in advance, any link or hint to the correct set-up would be appreciated a lot. I was rushing and reading through forums but couldn´t find any detailed audio settings guide for working with pro-/lav-mics and using preamps on ML with the 5DII..
sorry for crossposting.

Best regards,
chris

Hi Okaro,

I just waded into a similar post  here.  My tests with my 550D showed that when you disable the AGC in a Canon that you're virtually back to a line level input.  So any good pre-amp running line level out will sound good in a Canon with ML -- just zero all analogue gain -- and never use digital gain as it just adds noise.

This brings us back to JuicedLink's claim that mixer pre-amps specifically (they say) the Sound Devices Mix-pre D was "padded down".  This, of course, is rubbish so it's suspected that JuicedLink's mic out signal is somewhat boosted, because they know full-well that you need more than mic level to get sufficient signal into a camera's mic input.  This can be verified by simply looking at why the Rode Videomic Pro has a 20db boost on its mic. 

So in summary with the JuicedLink I would try a couple of things:  Firstly to match a cable that delivers its line level output to the camera's input with the AGC disabled.  Secondly to use JuicedLink's mic output and simply add the necessary analogue gain in ML to bring the meters up to between -6 and -12db.

I'm not sure if JuicedLink has one of those AGC disable where it puts a phantom tone in one channel to fool the AGC -- but that certainly wouldn't be my choice when ML does this much better.

Cheers

okaro

thanks zero,

that makes sense. I´m gonna test some more combinations and get back with the best results.
let´s gather some reasonable amplifier/pro audio-combos for ML.

best,