Juicedlink DT454 audio settings using ML on 5DII

Started by okaro, October 09, 2012, 01:23:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

okaro

Hi guys,

would you have the logical audio settings for working with a preamp/DT454 running ML on a Canon 5DII,
that go beyond the info being mentioned in the Juicedlink Manual (pages 6 and 7)?

I´m having a hard time figuring out if to work either with or without analog gain at all on the ML set-up, where to best disable AGC and which settings in the Canon menu (automatic/manual audio control) to best choose from.

Many thanks in advance, any link or hint to the correct set-up would be appreciated a lot. I was rushing and reading through forums but couldn´t find any detailed audio settings guide for working with pro-/lav-mics and using preamps on ML with the 5DII..

Best regards,
chris

eyeoftheabyss

Hi Chris, I use the DT454 with my 60D and 5D Mark III. I believe I've got it right, so here are the settings that I am sure I got from the Juicedlink videos. Turn AGC off on the DT454. There are two menus to go to: in the Canon menu, go to the Sound Recording tab, select "Manual" and move the Rec. level to one notch above 0. I wish I could add a pic, but I don't know how.
Looks something like this:
Sound rec.         Manual
Rec. level           |^----------|     
With the arrow pointing down though.

Then go to the ML menu, in the Audio tab, make the Analog Gain one step above 0 dB, on my 60D, the first step above 0 is 10 db. Both the Left and Right Digital Gain remain at 0 dB.

Use the DT454 and the ML audio bar on the liveview screen to check your levels, trying on the ML screen to get around -12 dB. Use the DT454 knobs to change incoming audio levels, viz. XLR-L, XLR-R, TIP-L, and RING-R. You should also look on the juiced link monitor to avoid blowing out the audio. I hope this helps.