Question about a mic choice and other various audio

Started by calypsob, October 08, 2012, 10:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calypsob

I had an old zoom H2 field recorder crap out on me so I am looking to updating my recording capabilities for video on my 600d.  I want to use the tascam im2 http://www.dvestore.com/tascam-im2-iphone-microphone-with-wind-muff/  on my iphone and monitor direct from the iphone into the 600d mic input.  Has anyone tried this to see if it would work?  Sure would make things easy in terms of carrying around gear.  Also what is the audio bit depth when recording with the 600d is it 16bit or 24? thanks.
Full spectrum T2i
T3i

Led

Hi, that mic won't be up the quality of the zoom. Also, from the look of the capsule arrangement it is two omni directional electret condensors,
so they pick up sound from all directions rather than just in frony. This means that for dialogue you will get a lot of background noise or room sound as well as the dialogue. Omnis are good for atmos and ambience type recording, but for dialogue you really want a unidirectional mic (also called cardioid).

Don't know about bit depth of the 600, you could shoot a short movie clip and import it into a video editing program or use a file inspector and it will likely tell you what it is.