Probably a stupid question - what is Magic Lantern

Started by wtspc, October 04, 2012, 09:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wtspc

I've heard Brian Matiash go on about it but not sure how it may help me? I shoot 95% HDR with a Canon 5D Mk11 and my expensive but very helpful friend called a Promote. It has helped be very much, but the only downside is I look like a walking terrorist with wires everywhere and a huge Gitzo tripod. Any comments would be very welcomed.

nanomad

By looking at the specs, ML does everything the promote can do  ;)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Datadogie

T3i and Kiss X4 (550d (T2i)) Tamron 18-200mm, Sigma 28-70mm f2.8 (need firmware upgrade) Olympus 50mm f1.8  Olympus 28mm f2.8 and Olympus 24mm f2.8
Fancier 370 tripod and LCD hinged loupe. DIY Slider and crane.

garry23

Dear wtspc

I have a 50D and a Promote Remote. Like you I bought the Promote to extend the camera control, especially as I am an HDR biased photographer. 

I have a very simple view of the benefit of ML vs the Promote. If you have the Promote get ML, if you have ML think carefully about getting the Promote.

The Promote will give you greater and smoother control when doing timelapses, and of course Promote is not a video controller.

I have no hesitation in saying that ML scores on bracketing for subsequent HDR processing. Why? Because you need no additional cables or hardware than your camera. You can travel light.

Additionally, ML bracketing has what I think is a killer feature: auto HDR mode. That is ML decides how many brackets to ensure the full dynamic range is captured. I usually use the auto HDR mode these days. I do not need to do any metering to decide how many brackets I need.

Bottom line: get ML in your 5D, as you are an HDR bracketeer!

Cheers

Garry