[DONE] Camera trap trigger

Started by Dunc101, October 03, 2012, 12:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunc101

Quote from: nanomad on October 03, 2012, 11:13:29 PM
It should be out by the end of the year I think. No guarantees :)

Is there anyway getting something made up slightly earlier?
Is it something I could do with the excising Magic Lantern template?

Would you make a version for me, with the extra cameratrap trigger settings - I would pay for your time.
I really need it as soon as possible, as I plan to go to Russia to try and capture Tigers on film in November.

Thanks

All the best

D

Dunc101

:) Where do I start if I want to try and make it myself?

Dunc101

Hi,

Nonomad was very helpful and added some features to ML for use in a cameratrap.
It all works in my compile except once the camera turns off the sensor (powersave mode), when you wake it up again it needs a secord trigger to start the video.

Is it possible to add to the ability once the sensor has turned off (the camera makes shut down noise) using a wired remote to turn back on the camera (which works) and record a video from one press of the trigger.
Currently I would need two presses of the wired remote (shutter release) to trigger a video.

Thanks

D

nanomad

Even if you set "Simulate rec on resume" to 1 (should be ON actually :P)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Dunc101

Quote from: nanomad on October 06, 2012, 02:37:27 PM
Even if you set "Simulate rec on resume" to 1 (should be ON actually :P)

in standby mode I turn on simulate rec on resume (set to 1) set time video works perfectly with only on press of trigger
BUT
as soon as the power save mode turns off the sensor (click noise of mirror going down) when I wake it again (by pressing wired remote) it needs to be presse again to trigger video to record. Otherwise it is all perfect.

Would it be possible to make it kick into video as soon as it turns on?

Thanks for all your help

D

nanomad

I just realized I had auto power off disabled on my camer ... oops  ;D
It shouldn't be too hard
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Dunc101

Ok, Do you reckon it is possible then?
The time limit thing works great BTW!

Thanks

D

nanomad

Yes, as I said I simply forgot to test that case  :P

It's fixed now

Dunc101

Hi Nanomad,

Thanks very much
I  will try it again.
Thanks

All the best
D

Dunc101

Quote from: nanomad on October 06, 2012, 03:00:52 PM
Yes, as I said I simply forgot to test that case  :P

It's fixed now

Hi,

could you add them to the Source code so I can continue to test it all.

Thanks very much

D

nanomad

Quote from: Dunc101 on October 07, 2012, 11:40:15 PM
Hi,

could you add them to the Source code so I can continue to test it all.

Thanks very much

D
I already did

a1ex

Isn't this feature redundant? ML already starts recording on half-shutter press (Movie REC key).

nanomad

My understanding is that if you set REC key to HS then you have to press the HS twice when resuming from standby or powersave (one for resume, one to start recording/take a picture)
The "start recording as soon as I power the camera on" thing, instead, requires just one.

a1ex

Right, I'll clean up half-shutter handling code. It should work by pressing half-shutter only once.

Edit: solved, works nice on 60D.

Your implementation was hooking in totally unrelated places and did not work on 5D3, so I've removed it.

nanomad

Dunc101

Thanks very much,

Is it now in the source code?
I will try it out on my 550D and 5d Mark II.

Thanks for your help

D

Dunc101

Quote from: a1ex on October 08, 2012, 10:56:09 AM
Right, I'll clean up half-shutter handling code. It should work by pressing half-shutter only once.

Edit: solved, works nice on 60D.

Your implementation was hooking in totally unrelated places and did not work on 5D3, so I've removed it.

Hi Alex,

Thanks for all your help.
I have tried this on my 550D and once the lcd and sensor is turned off, it still takes two half shutter presses - one to turn on the camera, then another to start a video.

Nanomad's little "Start Rec on start up" feature worked and allowed you to record a video from one half press, The only problem with his feature was that once the sensor turned totally off (the mirror made a sound on shut down) you needed two half presses again.

Is it possible to slightly alter Nanomad's feature so it starts recording a video as soon as the mirror goes up when you start up the camera from total shut down?

I hope this makes sense, if not I can make a video to explain.

If this is possible, it would be a massive help for making a cameratrap that could capture videos of endangered wildlife, helping to raise awareness and help animals that are almost extinct.

Thanks

Duncan

Dunc101

Quote from: nanomad on October 08, 2012, 10:45:26 AM
My understanding is that if you set REC key to HS then you have to press the HS twice when resuming from standby or powersave (one for resume, one to start recording/take a picture)
The "start recording as soon as I power the camera on" thing, instead, requires just one.

Hi Nanomad,

This feature works perfectly in standby, BUT once you wait until the camera goes to total sleep (mirror goes down - shut down noise) using power save -  then it takes two presses - one to wake up the camera and one to start the video.

It is so close to being perfect for the camera trap - Would it be possible to slightly alter the feature so when ever you turn on the camera it starts a video straight away?

Thanks
Duncan

nanomad

I fixed that but Alex fix of my fix probably broke it again :p

Dunc101

Hi Nanomad,

Would it be possible to get your fix back?

That would fantastic.
Thanks very much
D

g3gg0

maybe in this case its not a useful-for-everyone feature that still requires mainenance and is easy to get broken.
perhaps thats better a branch or "private mod"?
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

nanomad

i actually find it quite useful if you're shooting wildlife or live events and want to capture the moment as soon as possible

a1ex

Hold the shutter button for a bit longer and it will work.

nanomad

The trouble is that he can't (I think) as he's using an external trigger

Dunc101

Quote from: nanomad on October 10, 2012, 09:23:21 AM
The trouble is that he can't (I think) as he's using an external trigger

Yes, I cant as I am using a IR beam trigger (that acts like a cable release cable/ wired remote) and only sends out one press.
Would this still be possible to add to ML or a "private mod"?

Thanks very much for everyones help.

D