Canon T2i 16:9 Format

Started by keenbeasts, October 02, 2012, 04:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keenbeasts

I was wondering if there is any way to record in 1080p 24fps movie mode without the 16:9 crop?  If there isn't a known way, is it technically possible?

skydragon

Mayby i'm not understanding your question fully, but isn't 1080p 1920x1080 pixels and therefore 16:9 natively anyway ?
Canon 600D with Battery Grip, ML 2.3, Sigma 17-50mm 2.8, Swivi viewfinder loupe, RJ Follow focus. Loupe, FF and Camera/Battery Grip mounted on a 4mm thick alloy plate.

keenbeasts

Yes it is native 16:9.  My question though is if there is any way with Magic Lantern or otherwise to remove the "black bars"(Thus creating a "Full" Aspect Ratio)?  If it is even technically possible somehow?  Your point of the amount of pixels is why I think it may not be possible.  But the techy in me is adamant it is.

Malcolm Debono

The video isn't letter-boxed at 16:9 when recording in HD since the resolution fits perfectly.

What resolution and aspect ratio do you intend to use for the final output? If it's SD, you can create a cropmark (if it doesn't exist) and use the central part while recording in HD so that you fit the vertical pixels and crop out the extra horizontal pixels.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

keenbeasts

Yes that would work but then I would need a wider lens to compensate the difference.  While that is a viable option, I was wondering if there could be a way to hack it and record full hd open matted.  Which would actually increase the amount of pixels, I believe.

ZeroUnityGain

It's already been said, but I'll try to put it another way.  1080p is 1080 lines of resolution each line having 1920 pixels. As a fraction 1920/1080 when you break it down to its lowest common denominator is 16/9. 
If you multiply 16 by 120 you get 1920 and if you multiply 9 by 120 you get 1080.  So 16:9 is the lowest common denominator of 1920/1080.  All LCD, Plasa etc screens are set up to display that resolution without cropping or 'letter-boxing'
Hope that makes sense.

keenbeasts

Alright.  Let me see if I can put this another way.  I don't think I'm being clear.

I understand that 16:9 is the native hd format.  I do not want 16:9.  When in movie mode on a T2i you are shown the entire image of which the camera would normally pick up in photo mode but with grayed bars on the top and bottom of the frame to show the 16:9 format of hd.  My question is:  Is there ANY way to somehow record and view THE ENTIRE IMAGE(what you would see in photo mode or the image UNDER the grayed bars)?  I hope this is clear.  And I apologize if I wasn't before and I thank in advance anyone who can answer this question.

keenbeasts

Thanks a1ex.  But is there a cheaper alternative?

favvomannen

those grey bars just comes up in 1 of my "view screens" try disabeling (whatsitcalled) that gif that shows up. or try another ml screen.