mixing lens

Started by joxxie, September 29, 2012, 09:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joxxie

I currently have a 24 1.4L II, 50mm 1.2 and 70-200mm 2.8 II

was looking at other lenses to purchase .. was thinking a 35 and a 85? i really like the zeiss 35 and 85 but
i remember reading that it is best to keep the same glass ? any truth to this ?

ilguercio

You can have both the 35 and the 85 from Samyang which are very good and very cheap.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

joxxie

yea actually now that i think about it .. i was looking at the rokinon/samyang 14 / 35 / 85 ... is it ok to mix these with L lenses

ilguercio

L lenses are not supernatural and surely they won't feel bad if you couple them to the Samyangs.
:)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.

joxxie

never said they were .. i remember reading a blog post by Shane Hurlbut and he was saying that you should not mix

probably gonna pick up some rokinon / samyang .. i could buy 3 - 4 for the price of an 85 L

ilguercio

Quote from: joxxie on September 29, 2012, 11:48:01 PM
never said they were .. i remember reading a blog post by Shane Hurlbut and he was saying that you should not mix

probably gonna pick up some rokinon / samyang .. i could buy 3 - 4 for the price of an 85 L
For what reason?
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

1%

Makes no sense. Don't see why you can't use whichever lens you want. If you got some really crappy ones with CA or distortions then yes, don't mix.

Sounds like elitist nonsense.

ilguercio

Quote from: 1% on September 30, 2012, 06:16:24 AM
Makes no sense. Don't see why you can't use whichever lens you want. If you got some really crappy ones with CA or distortions then yes, don't mix.

Sounds like elitist nonsense.
Well, some Canon users buy nothing but Canon lenses, which, apart from the superteles and a very few of them, aren't that special.
Samyang lenses are good, i bet his other L stuff won't explode of envy.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: ilguercio on September 30, 2012, 01:27:21 AM
For what reason?

Some L lenses (not all) have a specific look (colour rendition, sharpness, etc.). I think what he means is that if you mix footage from one of these L lenses and another brand's lens (Sigma, Samyang, etc.) the footage might get a little inconsistent when it comes to these qualities. 
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

ilguercio

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on September 30, 2012, 11:32:41 AM
Some L lenses (not all) have a specific look (colour rendition, sharpness, etc.). I think what he means is that if you mix footage from one of these L lenses and another brand's lens (Sigma, Samyang, etc.) the footage might get a little inconsistent when it comes to these qualities.
Canon lenses are surely not consistent among the lineup and i'm not expecting photo lenses to be anyway.
Cine lenses would be different but this is not the case.
Some people are missing quite a lot of good glasses just because they're so stuck with Canon, like it was some form of warranty for taking good pictures.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.

Malcolm Debono

Totally agree with you. Not to mention that some third-party lenses are better and cheaper than what Canon has to offer.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

joxxie

guys i didnt mean to start anything about just buying canon .. i was referring to color .. etc consistency

ilguercio

Quote from: joxxie on October 02, 2012, 12:54:20 AM
guys i didnt mean to start anything about just buying canon .. i was referring to color .. etc consistency
But, as i said, i bet this is a matter of video lens only. I don't really think Canon bothers with having 100 lenses perform exactly the same way when it comes to breathing, colour rendition, bokeh and vignetting.
Only cine lenses are optimized for that, but you pay a lot for those optimization.
If you do photos then you can ignore the differences as many Samyang lenses simply destroy many brand lenses when it comes to price to performance ratio.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.