Depth of field sharpness

Started by ERBneeds2know, October 18, 2012, 07:50:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ERBneeds2know

What is the sharpness criteria (size of circle of confusion or other similar parameters) used to calculate the hyperfocal distance and depth of field information?

nanomad

Hyperfocal:
H = ((1000 * fl2) / (info->aperture  * coc)) * 10
where:
fl2 is focal_length*focal_length
coc is 29 on FF, 19 on APS-C

Depth of field
dof_far = ((((H/10) * (fd/10))) / ( H - fd )) * 100
dof_near = ((H * (fd/10)) / ( H + fd )) * 10

where fd is the focus distance in mm (as reported by the lens)
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

ERBneeds2know

Thanks for the details, nanomad, this seems reasonable. Is this something that could eventually be made user selectable (or have some other user param to control the sharpness criteria) so that people could tune this to their liking if they are more or less fussy about sharpness (say for very large prints or if they only do small prints)?

I'd appreciate recommendations on focus related settings/tools in ML which I could use to maximize DOF in my final image.

Is there a way to display the DOF near and DOF far values on the liveview screen? I only see the focus distance. I have only been able to get DOF near and far by going into the focus menu where it is dispayed at the bottom - for landscape shooting it would be great to have this displayed "live".

Is there a way to use focus peaking with settings where all of the in focus edges from DOF near to DOF far would be highlighted?

Focus stacking could potentially also be used but the step size would have to be much bigger than for macros so not sure how well this will work with ML today so would appreciate feedback on this.

ilguercio

Quote from: ERBneeds2know on October 20, 2012, 03:25:56 PM
Thanks for the details, nanomad, this seems reasonable. Is this something that could eventually be made user selectable (or have some other user param to control the sharpness criteria) so that people could tune this to their liking if they are more or less fussy about sharpness (say for very large prints or if they only do small prints)?

I'd appreciate recommendations on focus related settings/tools in ML which I could use to maximize DOF in my final image.

Is there a way to display the DOF near and DOF far values on the liveview screen? I only see the focus distance. I have only been able to get DOF near and far by going into the focus menu where it is dispayed at the bottom - for landscape shooting it would be great to have this displayed "live".

Is there a way to use focus peaking with settings where all of the in focus edges from DOF near to DOF far would be highlighted?

Focus stacking could potentially also be used but the step size would have to be much bigger than for macros so not sure how well this will work with ML today so would appreciate feedback on this.
Get the source code and look inside lens.c, change the formula to your liking and compile.
:)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.