POLL: Should ml attempt to hack the 1dx into a 1dc?

Started by Marsu42, September 26, 2012, 08:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

EDIT: Please vote here, but discuss in the existing thread :-> http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=2812

Since it was discovered that the 1dc is "just" a more expensive 1dc with a firmware upgrade, people all over the place (like the CR forum) state that the Magic Lantern will hack the 1dx to save people spending money on the 1dc.

Apart from my personal opinion (see discussion thread) I'd like to get an impression of the general feeling, so here's the possibility to make your voice count (well, at least numerically).

nanomad

there's already a thread on it, use the damn search function :/

And yes, it's gray waters. We really need a legal advice before doing anything like that.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Malcolm Debono

This is my opinion:
- Having ML working on the 1Dx (and 1Dc): yes
- Porting 1Dc firmware to 1Dx: no (too much legal issues)
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

bart

I think these high end cameras are not ML material. The 5D mark III is the top of the line. I think the ML community has many hobbyist, students, wannabe film makers and a few small time pros. They do fine with web video/bluray and benefit most from these nice features. Higher end pros let bloggers talk them into buying $5-$30k pro cameras. Those people don't need hacks.

1%

Let it sit to rot. Nobody will be buying 1DC for video and its not because of us... its because of the competition. Why am I spending $12k on 1dc when I can have 4 BM cameras rolling to SSD with proper features or just go and upgrade to red... or that other OSS camera on kickstarter. For real "pros" the equipment is nothing because there is a union and that OT racks up when shoots run late (always).

prophotographic

Has this happened yet? Is ML in testing on a 1DX, or even a 1DC.

I have a 1DX anything I can do? to help? (dump a firm ware etc...)

Silly question will it be possible to over crank the shutter to say 120 FPS or something higher.

the camera is fantastic just don't want to have a GO PRO HERO 3 with raw and 120 fps beating it out in video

thank you for one of the best things out there ML

nanomad

No, it won't happen. No current ML dev is willing to put his hands on a 1D camera
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

prophotographic

jplxpto

Quote from: Malcolm Debono on September 26, 2012, 09:29:21 PM
This is my opinion:
- Having ML working on the 1Dx (and 1Dc): yes
- Porting 1Dc firmware to 1Dx: no (too much legal issues)

I'm of the same opinion, but I think we should use the firmware of these cameras to learn a bit more.

RenatoPhoto

Ask Canon to donate 1DX so that you can port ML!  Canon actually benefits from ML since it enhances its capabilities.  Of course I dont think that ML should make 1DX = 1DC even if it was possible, which I doubt.
http://www.pululahuahostal.com  |  EF 300 f/4, EF 100-400 L, EF 180 L, EF-S 10-22, Samyang 14mm, Sigma 28mm EX DG, Sigma 8mm 1:3.5 EX DG, EF 50mm 1:1.8 II, EF 1.4X II, Kenko C-AF 2X

1%

I doubt they would donate. Especially the most expensive camera they have. The code is out there, if you want to do anything to 1D and have one just do it. So few people own them its not worth developing for in any kind of group effort.

We could try to port some 1D features to other cameras but what do they even have that isn't tied to hardware?

Shizuka

Quote from: 1% on November 28, 2012, 04:22:36 AM
I doubt they would donate. Especially the most expensive camera they have. The code is out there, if you want to do anything to 1D and have one just do it. So few people own them its not worth developing for in any kind of group effort.

We could try to port some 1D features to other cameras but what do they even have that isn't tied to hardware?

the one 1D-series feature I'd love to see come over to Magic Lantern is custom file prefixes for file organization, where the first four letters of the filename can be set arbitrarily.

No one has responded to my feature request q_q
http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=3258.msg15888#msg15888

a1ex

Quote- Having ML working on the 1Dx (and 1Dc): yes

Don't forget that quite a few hacking projects had serious trouble not because the hackers infringed any copyrights (they didn't, as far as I could tell), but just because they made the job easier for those who wanted to pirate things. See Sklyarov, geohot, graf_chokolo, Sony's comments on 2012 DMCA exemptions etc.

So, just the possibility of making it easier for someone else to infringe Canon's copyrights (e.g. by porting the 1DC firmware) can bring us into big trouble if we would try to port ML on the 1Dx.

=> no ML on 1DX.

QuoteI'm of the same opinion, but I think we should use the firmware of these cameras to learn a bit more.

This is not OK under neither European nor US laws afaik, because we don't have a 1DX and we are not creating any interoperable product for it, so we don't have the right to reverse engineer it.

mmoon

If I want to install new firmware from the 1DX on 1DC?

Malcolm Debono

Quote from: mmoon on May 15, 2014, 08:20:39 AM
If I want to install new firmware from the 1DX on 1DC?

Why would you want to do that? They are 2 different cameras, so I'm quite sure that's not possible.
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

Audionut

This has been discussed to death, and the answer is a clear no.