550D and HDMI out

Started by markusnygard, September 26, 2012, 04:56:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markusnygard

Hi
Im wondering over I thing
When I connect my 55oD over HDMI it outputs 1080i60 even if Im recording in 1080 25 and PAL as videosystem.
Is there some setting that I have wrong. I would really neeed to have 1080i50 HDMI output
it is a 550D with ML2.3

best Markus nygård

ZeroUnityGain

Sounds like your TV/Monitor is set to NTSC and doing the converting.  1080i/60 is the NTSC setting.  However your camera setting of 1080p/25 is, as you say, PAL.  Are you in NTSC territory?   It's not uncommon for a TV to convert an incoming signal to its own native setting.

The camera is capable of replaying 1080p when not recording, and a lower resolution via HDMI when in record mode (some say 480P).  This, of course, isn't a problem because monitoring is done on smaller monitors--and HD is only more pixels that are only appreciable on large monitors--like your LCD, Plasma or big screen.

markusnygard

Hi
No I'm not in an NTSC area. Im in Finland.
Lets open my test setup
- BMD ATEM TVS mixer (setting 1080i50)
- Canon 550D HDMI out (setting 1080/25 videosystem PAL)
- Canon Leigra HFR106 (setting for HDMI 1920x1080i)
- HP laptop (secondery HDMI-screen 1920x1080)
When all these are connected to TVS then I can't see the 550D, Only way to see it is chenge TVS setting to 1080i5995(NTSC) and then the TVS doesn't recongnize the rest.
So as I see it the problem isn't in the TVS but that somehow the 550D just prodoces 1080i60.
Haven't yet tested without ML, but can the problem be in ML2.3?

best markus

ZeroUnityGain

The very first test I would do would be to turn on your 550D holding the camera's set button.  This will temporarily disable ML for that session.  Now that you have eliminated ML from your troubleshoot you should simply plug in only the 550D and test it in record mode and also playback mode.  Set the camera to 1080 / 25. 
I'm not sure how the Blackmagic displays the resolution -- like does it display what it's receiving or what it's playing out -- and do you know if it's doing any upconverting or downconverting?
But at least you'll know that it's not getting confused with ML or even the other inputs.

I did a bit of cheating...er...Googling, as I'm not familiar with the Blackmagic mixer.  But the general blurbs say that all the inputs should be receiving the same resolution for it to display all the units.