Headphone use on 5D Mark II

Started by Mabossie, September 24, 2012, 06:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabossie

Hello,

I would like to use my headphones on my canon 5D mark II
I see that you can arrange this with Sescom DSLR-5DMK11-HOCF AV out Headphone cable 4023F

Although when I contacted Sescom they told me it wont work with ML 2.3

Is this correct that this will not longer work with the new ML versions? And if so is there an alternative?

Thank you!

nanomad

EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Mabossie

No this was the answer

"Unfortunately this cable will not work with magic lantern 2.3."   

a1ex

Did they actually try it?!

It works with default settings.

Michael Zöller

I'm just using my analog Canon A/V cable and a cinch to trs adapter cable.
So its canon 4-contact cable -> 2x chinch female 2-contact -> 1x stereo trs female.
Works like a charm.

Like this one: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Cinch-2x-Buchse-Adapter-auf-Klinke-3-5mm-Buchse-Chinch-zu-Klinkenbuchse-w4W-333-/270890150323?pt=DE_Computing_Audiokabel_Adapter&hash=item3f124fa9b3
neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

Mabossie

Hello Alex, I asked them;

"I can't say precisely why that is, all we know from our lab testing is that it doesn't".

So you say the Sescom cable works? Would be great news for everybody who want to use his headphones with ML 2.3 on canon 5D mark II

a1ex

It should work just as well as before, I didn't change anything. If it wouldn't work, someone would have reported it, there are a lot of 5D2 ML users.

ZeroUnityGain

I'm curious as to what's happening with the video signal in that cable.  Do they just terminate it somewhere?

okaro

Is the sescom cable then allowing stereo i.e. seperate L & R audio monitoring?
is there any possible way to boost the audio output apart from the +6db output gain in the ML menu?
By simply plugging earphones in the A/V port you get low impedance mono monitoring for free.

okaro

what´s up with the use of headphones through the the installed port?? any hints??

niceshooting

I just tried the canon cables with rca to 3.5mm adapter and headphones work.  BUT, when I plug in an external mic at the same time as headphones, the headphones will stop working.  They will work again once the mic is removed.  Can anyone monitor with headphones while a mic is plugged in?

clausfrederiksen

Quote from: niceshooting on October 23, 2012, 01:57:07 AM
I just tried the canon cables with rca to 3.5mm adapter and headphones work.  BUT, when I plug in an external mic at the same time as headphones, the headphones will stop working.  They will work again once the mic is removed.  Can anyone monitor with headphones while a mic is plugged in?

Same here! I also did experience that Im only able to monitor either left or right channel. Not both at the same time. Depending on how far in the headphone cable is plugged. Tried lots of different headsets and reinstalling Magic Lantern.

No luck...  :(
/Claus Frederiksen - Lighting cameraman, photographer and FCP editor

www.clausfrederiksen.dk

mayeeta

Quote from: Michael Zöller on September 26, 2012, 01:27:00 PM
I'm just using my analog Canon A/V cable and a cinch to trs adapter cable.
So its canon 4-contact cable -> 2x chinch female 2-contact -> 1x stereo trs female.
Works like a charm.

Like this one: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Cinch-2x-Buchse-Adapter-auf-Klinke-3-5mm-Buchse-Chinch-zu-Klinkenbuchse-w4W-333-/270890150323?pt=DE_Computing_Audiokabel_Adapter&hash=item3f124fa9b3

Can you please post a picture of the actual cables that you are using? thank you

Michael Zöller

neoluxx.de
EOS 5D Mark II | EOS 600D | EF 24-70mm f/2.8 | Tascam DR-40

msowsun

I recently installed ML 2.3 on my 5D Mk II and have no problems at all using headphones to monitor the audio input from my Rode Stereo Videomic Pro. 

You can't plug headphones directly into the 5D Mk II because the pin arrangement is not standard. The camera uses a 4 pin 3.5mm jack for audio and video that looks like this:

You can use the Canon STV-250N A/V cable that came with the camera and then ad some kind of an adapter to convert the two RCA male audio out connections to a standard headphone jack.

Another option is an adapter that allows you to plug the headphones into the camera.

"Sescom" makes one for the 5D Mk II:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/749719-REG/Sescom_DSLR_5DMKII_HOCF_Canon_5D_MkII_A_V.html

Or you can make one yourself if use the correct 4 pin 3.5mm 4 conductor jack.

SL1 100D.100B