60D HDR problems, shaky pic

Started by yomonk1, September 23, 2012, 05:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yomonk1

Hello group. 1st post (moooooo). I am a new photog and have fallen in love with HDR photography. I have tried several times to use HDR with ML and my 60D and I have only been able to assemble very few sequences. The majority of my sequences will not merge right due to shakiness that occurs during mirror lock maybe? Usually ones over 5 exposures are creating some kind of movement that does not allow my photos to merge in PHOTOMATIX PRO. Any suggestions? I am using a tripod with no environmental shake.
I have searched for this answer and cannot find it, but I find it hard to believe I am the only one with this issue. I just don't know how to fix it. Thanks

garry23

Although I don't have a 60D I can assure you that the 50D and ML works fine. I would be surprised if mirror lockup is a cause of your problems. I have been out shooting today and tend to use the auto HDR mode these days as I don't need to think about the dynamic range foe scene. I have proved the auto moe up to 17 captured images in a bracket.

Bottom line: if you are in manual mode (exposure and focus) and on a tripod you should have no issues.

a1ex

yomonk1

I am shooting in Manual but not sure about IS, I'll have to check that. Any other recommendations?

yomonk1

calypsob

that is really weird if you are using a tripod.  It kinda looks like you should turn off your autofocus.  What kind of ballhead are you using?  If its a cheap one or just a loose one it may be sliding a little bit.  Also turn on the deghosting function in photomatix, although I dont think it will really help in this case it is good for environmental movement. Actually I just remembered that I had the same problem one day when I left the camera strap on the camera and it was a windy day, the wind was shaking the camera just slightly.
Full spectrum T2i
T3i

Malcolm Debono

Try using these settings in Photomatix:
- "Align source images" ticked
- "by matching features" selected
- "include perspective correction" ticked
- "maximum shift" set to 15%
- "Remove ghosts" ticked
- detection set to "automatic" and "high"

Other than that, you shouldn't be having any problems especially since you're using a tripod. I shot handheld HDRs all the time both on the 5D2 and 60D and never had any problems processing them. If you're still unable to solve it, you can post or send me the original photos so that I can get a better idea of what's going on.

Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!