Powersave for focus peaking

Started by Marsu42, September 23, 2012, 11:26:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marsu42

I really like peaking when doing macro work, but it drains the battery even on the rather power-efficient 60d in no time. Setting the "turn off global draw" timer is nice, but not a real alternative because it disables the whole thing. As it is now, when I'm running low on battery I cannot use peaking anymore ... and yes, I could buy a bunch of spares, but I'd prefer a software option :-)

If possible it'd be nice to have a powersave option that either would use a tweaked more power-efficient algorithm or simply lower the update frequency from "as fast as possible" to "as slow as usable" - or wouldn't that make a difference battery-wise?

a1ex

Marsu42

Quote from: a1ex on September 23, 2012, 12:51:15 PM
See http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=1573.0 - from my measurements, peaking does not drain the battery.

Wupps, it that's still valid for the latest peaking code I fell into the same trap and time runs much faster when using Magic Lantern because it's more fun :-) ... so forget the request until I come up with a different measurement myself.

a1ex

If you use the experimental peaking (the one running at low FPS), that one is forcing CPU to run at near 100% duty cycle, so it may drain the battery faster. But the old one (blinking dots) should have very little impact.

You can check the power draw in Debug menu, keep the camera still for a couple of minutes, then read.