What camera to buy - T3i or T4i

Started by tuntori, September 22, 2012, 05:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tuntori

Hello, I'm considering a canon camera for the realization of the following project - http://www.indiegogo.com/aurelionseries. It's a mini series, so I'm interested primarily in video functionality. T4i is a newer camera with some better functions, but it can not run Magic Lantern. I don't suspect there'll be a release for it in the next 2-3 months. Do you think it's worth sacrificing Magic lantern compatibility for the new functions which T4i provides? Especially the full-time video AF. Please give me your advice.

Thanks in advance.

nanomad

From what I've seen the full time video AF is terrible compared to what you can obtain with manual focus + peaking and a bit of trial and error.
So, if you're interested in video only, the 600D has the following advantages:
- Crop mode -> Say goodbye to moire effect
- (experimental) audio controls
- Bit rate and FPS override
- Manual video controls
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

Bellamy

I have a T4i (actually, JP model Kiss X6i), and currently use the 18-135mm IS STM super zoom lens. This is my first DSLR after finally moving from my Leica R4.

I got the T4i specifically for the video AF and image stabilization, which works very well considering it's not a camcorder or full video camera. However, the AF can be overly sensitive.

Here's an un-edited sample I took in Italy in August:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=TfyuVP7FRic

I can't recall the settings off the top of my head, but it was a very bright day, so I think it was around a 125 or 250 shutter speed, ISO was 100 or 200, and the f-stop was between 5.3 and 8. Shot at 1080p, 30FPS despite knowing that it's slightly lower quality on the T4i than 24p (I prefer the smoother motion). No tripod or mount - just the camera and the lens.

I'm satisfied, but then my priority was stills first, and I couldn't afford the higher-end cameras. I also find the touch controls to be extremely efficient, which may sway you if you hate menu diving.

1%

Miyake's movie af works almost as well. Maybe can add "contrast detection" via something like focus peaking. Ha, disappointed with T4i.

discocalculi

After reading the Dx0Mark article on the 650D, I was kind of unimpressed. Rather stick with some older 550D, or other model, but that's just me...

Nowadays there are old 5d2's for pretty good money and also seen people selling their 7d's for quite a low sum (almost as expensive second hand as the 5d2's though, so... )

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Publications/DxOMark-Reviews/CANON-EOS-650D-Strictly-Status-Quo