HELP! 5D Mark III or 5D Mark II

Started by menoc, January 24, 2013, 01:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

menoc

OK,  I've got some spending money that I intend to invest on a new Camera - courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Basically I'm torn between getting the 5DM3 (Expensive!) or the 5DM2 (older but more affordable). I've read some reviews on the 5DM3. Some basically paint it as nothing more than a slightly upgraded 5DM2. In fact many say that the image quality of the two cameras is the same except for improved noise in low light for the 5DM3. More so, the biggest problems that plagued the 5DMarkII - moire and aliasing, can be fixed with the VAF-5D2b filter. Rolling shutter can now also be handled in post with the After Effects Rolling Shutter Repair effect. So the question is; is it worth it to fork out so much more money for the 5DM3, when you can get a comparable-quality 5DMK2? Not to mention the fact that with the money I would save I could get a better lens than the basic 50mm I would get with the 5DM3. Another big concern I have is that it is rumored that a canon 2k or 4k DSLR is around the corner!!! So I don't want to be left out of 2K.

What do you guys think?

Should I get the MarkIII or get a MarkII, fix the issues, and wait for a 2K or 4K DSLR?

DTSET123

What are your priorities? If you are not too concerned about low light situations then M2 will do fine. I did upgrade to M3 and I'm happy (except that I'm $3,500 poorer)