Lantern vs driftwood GH2 hack

Started by calypsob, September 21, 2012, 07:29:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

calypsob

I have been watching alot of these videos that cover the panasonic gh2 driftwood hacks.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcKuGoMN-VQ&feature=relmfu   What is so special about this little 4/3 in comparison to the canon DSLR's?  It would seem like at least one of the higher end canon's would bve able to pull the insanely high bit rates of the GH2.  Please fill me in on the details if you are up to date on this information.
Full spectrum T2i
T3i

nanomad

We are still limited by Canon's decisions on how to sample the sensor. That's the limiting factor....bitrate isn't everything.
The best video quality you can get, for now, is ALL-I on 600D crop mode. In the future, and with a fast enough CF card, you'll probably be able to record RAW footage on the 5D MkIII
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

Roman

Quote from: nanomad on September 21, 2012, 09:50:40 AM
The best video quality you can get, for now, is ALL-I on 600D crop mode.

How come the 5D mk2 is so revered for video work etc?

As in, is this because historically it was comparatively good, or in this day and age is still a good option?
Does it still have some benefits over cheaper cameras like a 600D?

I pretty much by chance bought a 600D, and I'm super happy with it...

But I'm struggling to see the benefits of spending $$$ on the likes of a 7D, 5D mk2 or mk3, etc at this stage.

nanomad

The 5D II is a full frame camera while the 600D isn't. Its sensor is just better in every aspect. Bitrate isn't everything....
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

calypsob

Hmm I dot think I have ever noticed the ALL-I feature on the 600d, is this a magic lantern feature addition?  I don't really do any video work but just the other day a friend asked me to help him do a youtube video so I have been paying closer attention to video work lately so I am prepared when he is ready to shoot.   You are right to say bitrate is not everything, the 4/3 sensor looses in terms of low light performance and noise reduction, not to mention the sensor is smaller than aps-c and full frame.  I would like to see these high bitrates though one day, the seamless camera movement and non choppy transitions are eye candy. Also I would be really happy if the canons could do uncompressed video for stacking astrophotography images, since we were on the topic.  thanks for the input guys
Full spectrum T2i
T3i

nanomad

The ALL-I and custom GOP are part of the "bitrate investigation" tests. If everything goes according to plans it should be part of the next version of Magic Lantern