1dc and 1dx .. identical hardware .. just a firmware difference

Started by joxxie, September 20, 2012, 08:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DieKruste

Hello

Just to say, I'm a photographer, happy owner of ML on 5DMkII for my video shoots. I own a 1Dx too, as I need it for my sport business (and my bank does not consider myself as rich, as one on this forum said...), and I would happily pay if ML was going to develop its own firmware (no copyright infringement here, right ?) to enhance this camera video capabilities, to reach the one of the 1Dc. Well actually, I don't really need 4K, but 1080 60p is really what I want. High Res moderate slow mo, all perfect for a lot of us.

Everybody is a bit underwhelmed by what we think are software limitations even on high end cinema eos cameras. What ? No 1080 60p on C100, or even C300 ? They must be kidding at this price range. And even 1Dx is not cheap. Great camera, great sensor, even more in video mode, but well, it lacks those 1080 60p.

So please tell us, if you plan such stuff, or work on it, I'll then even more happily donate.

All the best

scrax

I'm using ML2.3 for photography with:
EOS 600DML | EOS 400Dplus | EOS 5D MLbeta5- EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro  - EF-S 17-85mm f4-5.6 IS USM - EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM - 580EXII - OsX, PS, LR, RawTherapee, LightZone -no video experience-

g3gg0

we fully understand your position and agree that that this lack of feature is disappointing.
also the technical aspects would be no big deal imho.

but i am sorry to tell you, the Magic Lantern team decided to *not* develop on EOS 1D series.
we devs all agree that this is a totally different price range and we would seriously deal in business cases where we dont want to be active.
see this as a political decision, but somewhere you have to say: "stop!" and the 1D is such one.

the discussion and decision *is* already made, so even your offer of a donation wouldnt change anything.
(i personally dont want to jump into a shark tank, even for money ;) )
i hope you understand our position.

but we of course will continue work on the 5D2, 5D3 and all the other models and will provide you
free feature upgrades for these caneras ;)
Help us with datasheets - Help us with register dumps
magic lantern: 1Magic9991E1eWbGvrsx186GovYCXFbppY, server expenses: [email protected]
ONLY donate for things we have done, not for things you expect!

feureau

Quote from: g3gg0 on December 18, 2012, 03:35:49 PM
but we of course will continue work on the 5D2, 5D3 and all the other models and will provide you
free feature upgrades for these caneras ;)

Speaking of which, any chance for 1080p 60fps or 4K on any of the magic lanterned cameras? :3

nanomad

It takes a deep understanding on how the sensor works. We are quite busy with new ports lately, so don't expect anything
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

feureau

Cool! No worries. Take your time. Just wondering if it is even at all possible. I thought it would need a more expensive version of that software thing you were buying?

Wizardofoz

Recent release statement from Canon about a new EOS 1DC firmware.

It seems to be only available for camera owners and the camera is upgraded by Canon service.

As the following states:

SYDNEY, Australia, 29 May 2013 – Canon Australia today announces that the new firmware upgrade for the EOS-1D C, the world's first 4K DSLR, is now available. The feature upgrade, which was first announced in January 2013, has been developed taking into account feedback from the professional community and adds support for 25p recording at the camera's maximum 4K resolution.

Designed for the motion picture, television and high-resolution production industries, the TIPA award-winning EOS-1D C is the world's first DSLR to support 4K video capture. It offers a unique, highly portable package optimised for ultra-high quality recording, delivering exceptional low-light performance and film-like dynamic range from a highly-compact body that can be used in a wide-range of shooting situations.

"Support for 25p recording at full 4K resolution is a major benefit for ultra-high-resolution production environments such as the television industry," says Charles Montesin, Product Manager – Professional Imaging, Canon Australia. "The new firmware will add another dimension to the versatility of this ground-breaking camera and we're excited to be able to offer this new feature in direct response to requests from professionals in this field."

The EOS-1D C captures 4K (4,096 x 2,160) video using 8-bit motion JPEG compression, with the ability to simultaneously output an uncompressed Full HD (1920x1080) YCbCr 4:2:2 signal to an external recorder via its HDMI terminal. Full HD video can also be recorded direct to CF cards at frame rates of up to 1080/60p, whilst Canon Log Gamma ensures video is rich in exposure latitude and dynamic range – offering outstanding freedom for video professionals during shooting, and for colourists in post-production.

The EOS-1D C firmware upgrade is not downloadable. Customers should contact Canon's service centre at North Ryde by email to make arrangement to have the new firmware installed