Using SD Card with ML in Non Canon Camera?

Started by Kristi, September 20, 2012, 02:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristi

Hello ,

I'm considering downloading Magic Lantern for my 550D and am just researching about it now. My only hesitation is this camera has already been sent to canon twice for odd power issues where the screen goes blank, it wont power on, or appears to have a short as in with certain positions the screen turns off. It looks like an amazing tool thus far however.

My question is I also have a Nikon I shoot with using both about the same but sometimes depending on what I'm shooting that day I will swap my memory cards .... or if I run out of room sometimes will take the card from the other camera. By doing that can I cause damage to my Nikon as if I am to understand correctly you keep the Magic Lantern file on the SD Card?! Forgive my ignorance if this is an obvious answer & If I may've overlooked this answer in FAQ as I did check prior to posting.

Also one more question being one with short term memory issues is there any type of cheat sheet for Magic Lantern to keep in my camera bag for quick reference?

Thank You I appreciate the help.

jbuy41

I believe ML is only for the Canon. 

Why do you need a cheat sheet when everything is included.  Small hints by hitting the DISP BUTTON  (next to MENU) or the complete documentation in HELP menu and "About Magic Lantern".

Hope this is some help.

nanomad

You can leave ML files on the card when you shoot with another camera, it shouldn't cause any troubles.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

a1ex

It's not recommended to use the same card in two cameras, as each camera expects a different directory structure. They sometimes try to use the folder names from the other camera - sometimes works, sometimes not.