[WONTFIX] Pause recording on clip

Started by g3mccotter, September 19, 2012, 04:12:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

g3mccotter

I was wondering if we could be able to pause and resume recording onto the same clip. My phone does it and its really convenient to keep things organized, you just pause it and then record again and it puts it into one clip. When you want to make a new clip you hit stop. Kinda brings it back to filming on mini dv tapes where that was the case.

nanomad

I don't see the point of it, you can simply merge the two video files in post
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

1%

Not just that. The camera records the stream into a .dat file before its containerized. If you were to do this, camera could possibly delete the whole video on crashing or even power off.

g3mccotter

The point would be for what I said so you could be much more organized going into post. When we used tapes to record things we didn't put a new tape in every time we stopped and started recording. The whole hour went onto one tape. To me it would be quite beneficial to be able to record more than one clip in one video file. I mostly make snowboarding films and we go to different spots around the city. If I could have all the clips from each spot in one file as opposed to 250 or so files at 5-10 sec a piece it would free up a lot of time in post.

a1ex

You can use manual file numbering reset - in Canon menu.

g3mccotter

Quote from: a1ex on September 21, 2012, 09:24:10 PM
You can use manual file numbering reset - in Canon menu.

What will that do?

Malcolm Debono

Depending on what camera you're using, you can also create a new folder from Canon menu when visiting a new location (I know for sure that the 60D and 5D2 support it).
Wedding & event cinematographer
C100 & 6D shooter
New here?  Check out the FAQs here!

daytraderjo

what do you mean you dont know why someone would want this? of course people want this. it makes life easier. what if i have to cough. what if i want to say something without recording and then just resume. why should i need to go and merge files if i can just pause?

I want this feature and it seems to be lost in the 1990's for no apparent reason.

nanomad

The reason is that you can do everything easily in post processing.
EOS 1100D | EOS 650 (No, I didn't forget the D) | Ye Olde Canon EF Lenses ('87): 50 f/1.8 - 28 f/2.8 - 70-210 f/4 | EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 | Metz 36 AF-5

ilguercio

Not just that, as far as i can understand the amount of work required to make it work (if possible) is not worth the benefit of a feature like this.
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

daytraderjo

I understand if its tough for magic lantern to do, and im not upset with you guys. i just dont understand why the technology in general has disappeared in favor of "clips". why is this feature not important anymore? Its not always so simple for everyone to merge files. Gotta use the computer, post processing software is heavy on resources. So it becomes time consuming and a cumbersome process.  Stinks for the average person who just wants to shoot famiy videos 

ilguercio

Hint:probably because those cameras are not camcorders.
;)
Canon EOS 6D, 60D, 50D.
Sigma 70-200 EX OS HSM, Sigma 70-200 Apo EX HSM, Samyang 14 2.8, Samyang 35 1.4, Samyang 85 1.4.
Proud supporter of Magic Lantern.

1%

When you stop recording, canon puts a container on the file (.mov). Until then its a raw H.264 stream (.dat), sure you could add to it... Except if you wait too long you get an error and you'd certainly get file corruption and everything would be mismatched when resuming. So you'd need a utility to rewrite the file anyway just like with the 4GB limit.

You can stream cut clips together in several programs and the most overhead they have is from reading/writing the files. In essence with the way the software/hardware works there is no point.

daytraderjo

what is the best software to merge files easily on a windows pc?
I've tried the windows 7 software and it's a pain cuz it is unreadable unless using a windows pc.

1%

Avidemux works, I think you can use the MP4 container. Don't remember if AVI worked.

daytraderjo

Thanks for your suggestion on avidemux. i appreciate your help.

It gave me a "file error message on the program using windows 7.
Apparently having something to do with html5????
Dont know, and really dont care.
it does not seem like such a simple program even if there was a solution to this error.
I already uninstalled it cuz it was way to complex
But i sincerely do thank you very much for helping me out.

Would someone kindly recommend a more simple program.
I have a canon t3i, and i just want a program that will give me clip a + clip b = Clip C. maybe fade something in and out.... Thats all i need.

Very simple, and would love for it to be quick (not a resource pig like most of them seem to be)

Any suggestions? i know this is probably not the right thread, and you guys are way more advanced at this subject than me.
But i really couldnt find anything for those like me, with little time on their hands. Just simply looking to merge basic family video files.
Thanks so much for any help, appreciate it.

1%

I don't think there is anything simpler. Stream cut is just file copying so its the least resources you can use.

http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-win.html

is similar.

sea

Quote from: nanomad on September 19, 2012, 02:57:22 PM
I don't see the point of it, you can simply merge the two video files in post

was gonna request this feature, luckily i thought to search the forum first before starting a new thread. :)

my reason is more analogous to old 8mm film cameras. my 5yo daughter asked how to do special effects. we set the camera up on a tripod, filmed a few things, then I showed her how basic split screens work in After Effects.

to do even simpler stuff, like have objects disappear, could be done completely in camera if we could film something, pause recording, take the object away, unpause recording.

further, i know of film competitions where people have to make a short film using a single reel of 8mm film, and do all the edits in camera, and only see the final result once the film is developed. this could be a fun digital equivalent.

i agree that you'd NEVER want to use this for serious work (honestly, the logging and clipping of DV tapes is something i'm happy we now avoid), but if it were easy to implement, could be quite good fun, especially with the slower fps options.

daytraderjo

Just curious why i Can pause and resume via iphone app "moviepro", and not on my dslr?

I would like to think that the dslr camera will not be obsolite in 5-10 years as the point and shoot has gone, but as soon as they start making the technology on iphones/androids that provide the ability to attach "serious" lenses, (Not the gimmick lenses of today)the dslr is done for all but a select few.

Think about it.....we would have the capabilities of current dslr + lots of software options on my phone. Why would i purchase a dslr camera when i can buy "real" lenses that attach to my phone and use all the modes that can be used on my current dslr. Canon and nikon better wake up and start talking to the smartphone makers.

Francis

As soon as you made a phone ergonomically appropriate for using as a camera, then it will suck as a phone. A jack of all trades is a master of none.

The standard smartphone design is already a pain to hold for photos. Imagine adding a lens mount and a lens.

Betelgeuza

how i remember    Canon allready got in side some stuff for making short clips and  if u get your camera with all stuff in box ..its CD`s.. u can use that Canon Software for stick  all footage in one  peace...but u can do simple same  thing with longer clips on same  software what propadly u got but u dont  know..

sticking  two footage in one peace ? realy ?.. comeone .. CTRL +c  CTRL +v  CTRL + s.. in any software u like what can do soem  video editing stuff..

processing word its like with producer word...sometimes overused... just glue it dude in sony vegas ..

sea

getting off topic, but I don't think we're talking about comparing smartphones to dslrs, but rather running an OS like android on a DSLR. once that happens, developers can stop spending time reverse engineering roms (though I'm super thankful the magic lantern guys do!), and just get on with adding interesting features.

google for 'fcam' and 'computational photography' for what could be possible with a more open phone OS. unfortunately i fear canon and nikon will be very slow to adopt this, whereas i assume samsung's next NX detachable lens cam will run android, which will be very interesting.

annnnyways, back on track...vine? new canon cams do in-camera edits too? cmoooon magic lantern guys, it'd be fun!  :)

paparaz

Hello everybody my name is Angelo and I am writing from Italy
Hello, this is an old topic but my request is about the same; so i decided not to open a  new topic.

I'm working for a daily newspaper, nowadays this mean that there is a news website alongside.

So i have to take pictures and shoot video clips as well. Pretty often this means i have to send everything right away.

It would be so much easier, so much simpler.. so much quicker... so wonderful: to have pause recording on clips.

These videos don't have to be  of very high quality. my point is that
1 i would have not to carry a laptop with me
2 I would have not to edit it
3 I would have to convert to make it it lighter only one file
4 I would have to send only one file

So i DO see the point in having pause recordin on clip

So please reconsider this option if possible
Paparaz