ML stops recording with audio on

Started by jalann, August 24, 2012, 08:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalann

Keep getting "Movie recording has been stopped automatically."
Around 5 seconds of recording the five bar indicator shows and quickly climbs to 100. The total recording time is around 10 seconds. This only happens when Magic Lantern's Sound Record is set to Leave it on.  When Sound Record is set to Auto - Disable then movie recording does not stop even at the highest bit rate and with Global Draw ON.

I am working with:
- Canon 60D with firmware 1.1.1, and ML 2.3
- Sandisk Extreme 16gb class 10

I have tried:
- Bit Rate (CBR) : 0.1x
- setting Gobal Draw to OFF

Other ML settings:
- Shutter Lock ON
- FPS override
  >24fps optimized for : Exact FPS

Canon settings:
- video size 640x480
- Sound recording set to Auto

Again, with FPS override "ON" (normally at 24fps or 30fps) the only thing that works is to set Sound Record to Auto-Disable. When ML Sound Record is "OFF" and Canon audio ON the camera does not shut off. This has been happening since I installed ML. Since then, I have reformatted the card once and taken the card and battery our several times. I tested the recording time last night with ML's Sound Record set to Auto-Disable and Canon's Sound recording set to Auto. I recorded 640x480 for 13minutes and 28seconds before I stopped recording. There was no sign of the five bar indicator or buffer overflow.

Seems to me if Canon's default settings will record with audio normally then ML's should too.
Magic Lantern is fantastic to say the least. Would love to use the features ML offers for recording with audio for my next shoot (coming up soon  ;D )

Any advice?

a1ex

See the user guide.

It might work if you try 24.000 from 23.976, no guarantees.

jalann

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Guess I took "Only enable sound if you know what you are doing." (pg. 25 UserGuide) to mean that there was at least a chance that it might work. Reading again, the sentence before this pretty much says it won't.

Your suggestions of 24 from 23.976 gave pretty much the same result, maybe a second or two longer. I didn't time it.

Thanks again! Have really been enjoying Magic Lantern.

a1ex

Future versions will probably be able to record a separate WAV file.

beltech1

Did anyone ever figure this out?  Having this same problem on my T3i AND 60D.

theidealab

I have had this issue with both my 5D2 and 60D. I was able to have uninterrupted recording on my 60D by changing the sound to AUTO in the Canon menu, shutting the camera down, turning it back on and setting to MANUAL sound level.

Fingers are crossed for the 5D2.

David

1%

With 24/23.96 wouldn't the audio be off a few MS anyway.

I can record just fine on t3i without fps override and slightly above stock bit rate.  Separate wav is in 600D dev builds but it shouldn't make a difference.