ISO- ideal setting for video ML digital ISO = -0.3 EV ??

Started by eco_bach1, September 19, 2012, 03:05:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eco_bach1

Read the documentation on Magic lantern ISO but still a little confused.
One thing mentioned in the help menu is that if you set the ML digital ISO to a negative value, you will achieve better rollloff and lower noise at the 'Equivalent ISO' indicated.
Also, it is obvious that now you can achieve an ISO equivalent of 25 if you set ML digital ISO to -2.0 EV which is really useful in bright conditions and you want a shallower DOF.
Can anyone recommend ideal settings to use for video? Are the recommended ISO's of 160, 320, 640 still valid?
You can get these if you set ML digital ISO to -0.3 EV.
Thanks!

Francis

Yes those ISOs are still valid. Be careful using very low ISOs like 25. You will get strange color tones in the highlights (pink mostly) because the different color channels clip at different levels.

he56ys5ysu7w4

I don't know what's true but I've read that ISO lower than native won't give less noice.
Canon hasn't stated the native ISO of their chip but Internet says 200 or 100.
Unless I need low ISO cause of light I just go for 160.
Amateur shooting family stills and video
Gear: Canon 600D/T3i -- Sigma 30/f1.4 EX DC HSM -- Canon EF-S 15-85/f3.5-5.6 IS USM -- Canon EF 50/1.8 II -- V3 LCD Viewfinder loupe -- Velbon RUP-L40
Editing with LR3 and FCPX

KarateBrot

Native ISO on Canon's sensors could be 125. It has got far less noise compared to 160. But I also prefer to use multiples of 160
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)