HDR workflow: Nuke + GingerHDR

Started by KarateBrot, September 18, 2012, 11:23:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KarateBrot

For those who don't already know Ginger HDR can produce 32bit floating point sequences of your ML HDR footage. And since 32bit images have got a linear colorspace I got the idea to convert it to a logarithmic colorspace in Nuke. This way you can easily achieve great and more natural looking gradients between dark and bright areas without clipping color channels.

Please tell me what you think about it.

Here's how I did it:

First I filmed the HDR footage with ML (ISO: 80/1250 [4EV];Neutral [0,-4,-2,0])
like you would propably normally do.

This is how it looked like with ISO 80/1250:

I merged the raw file with Ginger HDR to get a 32bit .exr-sequence.
After that I imported this sequence into Nuke and applied a "log2lin"
node in lin2log-mode and a "ColorCorrect" node.

This is what I did:
- Log2lin: I turned down the gamma (0.45) until I thought I had enough contrast in the shadow areas.
- ColorCorrect: I turned down the gamma (0.38) to get rid of the flat look of the image.
- ColorCorrect: I turned up the gain (2.1) to brighten it up again.
- ColorCorrect: I turned up the Saturation (1.14) to make it a bit more appealing.
- Log2lin: Because now some colors might clip I turned down the whitepoint just a bit (660).
VoilĂ !

Note: I also added a "F_DeNoise" node right after the source clip to denoise the footage since noise can be a problem with ML HDR.

- - - - -

This is the final result: (click to enlarge)

Example 2 (blurry): (click to enlarge)

Note: Notice the gradient in the sky. From the sky to the nearly edge of the sun no color channel is clipping.

Unfortunately there were no clouds when I filmed otherwise the results could have been way more interesting. Anyway, I'm pleased with the result.
If you think it doesn't look appealing, yet you can tweak the colors very well since we are dealing with 32bit footage ;)

- - - - -

Example 3: (click to enlarge)

Example 4: (click to enlarge)

Example 5: (click to enlarge)

Note: Color bleeding because of red sheet of fabric below

Example 6: (click to enlarge)

Note: There's a lot of banding because of the bokeh at different ISOs
If you donate a RED EPIC to me you officially are very cool ;)